ADVERTISEMENT

Gun EXPERTS only

HighStickHarry

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2006
I don't know a lot about guns but I have one that is very special to me and has some rust spots on it. There is too much back and forth about what to do about this on the internet and also among the local perkins red necks. Brake cleaner and a brillow pad was one answer.

It is a Winchester 30-30 lever action. I can't get a pic from my phone so if that is essential I will figure it out for you.

Mark is exactly right

There are some great products on the market but if you have a strong affinity to the gun, just take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I found one guy in stillwater that is listed as a "gunsmith". I will hit him up Monday. Thanks guys.

I picked up the rifle today and he said he stopped the rust from spreading and got the rust off the gun. There are still very obvious spots left. The guy said I should contact brownells and find out who uses their products locally because this gun is made of ductile iron? I guess it takes a special blueing.

Anyway, I guess I have some more leg work. I was charged sixty five bucks.

That doesnt make sense to me. Ductile just describes pliability of metal. All gun barrels are ductile to my understanding, which is limited. If the rust is off, pick up some Oxpho blue. It's easy to use and hard to screw up
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The website said use a 0 brillow pad and one of the reviews just said scotchbrite. Should I give it a rub down with taut and if so do I need to don't he whole gun so this all matches? The spots are only around the sides by the lever.

Yeah, if it's a touch up you can use Scotchbrite pads. Now, this is my personal opinion, but I prefer using sandpaper and doing the complete barrel even if it's a touch up job. Do spot applications is fine, and I've done it a ton, but I like more uniformity and if you look close enough you can see the area that where the application is done.

Pulling the stock and forearm off that gun isn't too hard and then I'd just work away at all the metal. A cold blue application isn't very difficult, and almost all the work is in metal prep.

There is a video on youtube of a guy doing this with a couple of old mausers and he does an excellent job of demonstrating metal prep.

Sandpaper opens the porous features of metal allowing the bluing compound to penetrate, and light sandpaper can't score metal without really getting aggressive beyond what is necessary.

If the rust is off the gun, then go ahead and try a touch up to see if you like the results. If that doesn't work then you can easily prep the metal for a great application.

Load some pics up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT