ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Van Halen is a d***. And Hagar calls him out on it.

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
I realize EVH is revered by many as the world's greatest guitar player, and he certainly is one of them. But man is he a jackass. He is so full of shit in every article I read on the guy, and always taking potshots at current and former bandmates who aren't blood relatives.

Check out this quote from him in a recent Billboard interview:

“Every note Mike ever played, I had to show him how to play,” Van Halen claims. “Before we’d go on tour, he’d come over with a video camera and I’d have to show him how to play all the parts.” He doesn’t even credit Anthony for his harmonic backing vocals, which fans classify as an integral part of the group’s signature. “Mike’s voice is like a piccolo trumpet. But he’s not a singer. He just has a range from hell,” he says. “Mike was just born with a very high voice. I have more soul as a singer than he does. And you know, people always talk about Mike’s voice on Van Halen songs, but that’s a blend of Mike’s voice and my voice. It’s not just him.” (Anthony’s rebuttal to these accusations is diplomatic: “I am proud to say that my bass playing and vocals helped create our sound. I’ve always chosen to take the high road and stay out of the never-ending mudslinging, because I believe that it ultimately ends up hurting the Van Halen fans.”)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ie-van-halen-addiction-david-lee-roth-touring

After this rebuttal video by Sammy Hagar, I just became a much bigger Red Rocker fan.

I can't get it to embed, but it's the video interview at the top of his FB page here...

https://www.facebook.com/SammyHagar

Reactions: TheRCCola
Michael Anthony has always come off as a really cool guy.

I agree. And really these comments piss me off more about Mike's vocals than his bass playing. The bass lines are Eddie's word against other people, but slamming his voice??? MA's backing vocals ARE the Van Halen sound. Wolfgang can't hold his jock as a player or singer.

I agree. And really these comments piss me off more about Mike's vocals than his bass playing. The bass lines are Eddie's word against other people, but slamming his voice??? MA's backing vocals ARE the Van Halen sound. Wolfgang can't hold his jock as a player or singer.
Eddie used to seem like a really good dude. I don't know if he really never was, or if he's just turned into an old grumpy bastard. Michael Anthony is responsible for so much of VH signature sound.

Always loved Sammy. Now even more.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Great interview with Mikey from a few years ago, where he talks about being replaced.

Van Halen brothers got pissed that he went out and played with Sammy during a VH hiatus and basically got fired for it. Dick holes. Also, takes time to compliment Wolfgang. I've met a few rock stars over the years and my favorite by far was Bruce Hall from REO Speedwagon. Michael Anthony is one other guy I would genuinely like to meet. Man I bet you would hear some cool stories.

Anthony not being on the tour is bullshit. Kinda hard to get the old machine running like it use to if key cogs are missing.

EVH is a flake, but then again so is DLR.

They deserve each other.

Yes but their fans deserve much better. This band has been a never-ending clusterfark for many many years. It would be hilarious if not for the fact that the idea of this band is so beloved and people buy tickets hoping to see and hear their favorite band.

I'll see if I can find the video recently where the prerecorded intro to Jump played too fast and they spent the whole song off key trying frantically to transpose. It was almost Milli Vanilli bad. Couldn't happen to more deserving guys.

Nothing against Wolfgang who is a fine bassist, but I refuse to see them with any lineup that doesn't include Anthony.

As a kid, I remember one of the first rock tapes I ever bought was 1984. I loved VH then, still remember jumping around on my bed, trying to do crazy flips, while listening to "Jump." I'm also probably one of the few people who liked them even better when Sammy stepped in...5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, Balance...that collaboration produced some great stuff.

This just sucks to see someone (EVH), who I used to hold in such high esteem, act like a complete ass. What a f'n prick! And for what reason?...what is he trying to accomplish, especially when there are mountains of evidence to the contrary?

CSB Time. Early 90's ski trip to Vail, one group was staying in a hotel, I was with another group sharing a condo. Meet up after breakfast with the other folks and they relate a story about their interesting breakfast.

They were in the dining room getting breakfast, when some drunk dude shows up at the (obviously closed) bar about 20 ft away from them. Guy starts yelling about wanting something to drink and that the management better get a bartender in place pronto or he was checking out and never coming back. One of the people at the table says: "Damn, is that EVH?" They all take a look over, while the guy continues on with his rant and as the restaurant staff is trying to calm him down. They can't quite come to a consensus if it's him or not, when Valerie Bertinelli walks in and addresses him in a voice of disgust: "Eddie!" She goes over and calms him down and gets him to leave while muttering apologies all away around in their departure.

Eddie needs to shut his freaking mouth. A lot of VH fans love Mikey....me included....and don't wanna hear that . I loved Sammy's response. Alex is obviously the smarter of the brothers...but Eddie is the one always saying stupid crap. Liked how Mike took the high road. But he is right...all the mudslinging back and forth hurts the fans the most. Not exactly the best time to slam Roth and MA right before a tour. Roth leaves, MA leaves, Sammy leaves...Ed is the one difficult to work with.

Watch this train wreck. I like to think it is the rock and roll gods punishing Eddie for his hubris.

Somehow the pre-recorded keyboard track to JUMP is sped up slightly, changing the pitch, causing The entire song to be out of tune as EVH desperately tries to transpose during the song. At first, I found it cringe-worthy. Now I find it hilarious. Karma is a bitch Eddie!

Wolfgang has done some great work with Tremonti, but he leaves a gaping hole in VH trying to replace Mikey.

Whoa. New respect for Sammy.

Van Halen could have a been even greater than they ever were had it not been for all the head case bs that has gone on in that crew over the years. Too many egomanics, Michael Anthony never stood a chance as far as longevity with them. They were lightning in a bottle in their younger years, and Van Halen One is still one of the most powerful first albums I have ever heard personally.

I was just a tad too young to attend a concert at their peak In the mid 80s, but I have heard some good stories. I saw them back when they came to OKC in like 2003 or so with DLR as lead singer, it was nice to hear some songs live, but DLR just seemed like he was trying too hard. The constant maniacal smile and bug eyed look Made him look like a wax caricature of the guy that seemed so cool back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT