ADVERTISEMENT

Deer Season 2023

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
You guys got everything set up?

I just put out 800lbs of apple scented corn. lol

I have barely started, and cannot get myself to go up in over 100 degree weather. Just doesn't seem like deer season with high temps. But anxious to check my cameras and pick up the bow again.

Oh man so the part I really want to hunt this year (called Bermuda Triangle) is in back of the 240. It is a triangle shaped clearing about 20 acres or so. I have ran a chain saw and hand piled all the cedar trees and ones we want to open up the field. Hope to have food plots going by next year. I want radish and turnips back there for sure. Got my tree stand put up and three feeders put in this year. We also have a deer field as we call it that is a 50x100 yard clearing with a one person stand on a platform. I like to gun hunt this field.

I have the Bermuda Triangle on lock down and have two parcels of deer coming through. I have a really nice 6 point buck with a great rack. Might be my starter bow buck.

Be careful going to the Bermuda Triangle with me though. You might just get lost forever.

22 more days.

Got a really nice 8 point coming in with some 4-6 point bucks. Got an old doe and a fawn coming in and been watching the fawn grow that was cool. Got them coming in around 7ish. I am so ready for 4am on Oct 1st. I almost put an arrow through the fence this morning on archery practice.

I got one more day left of getting a tree stand up and then brush hogging. I can't wait to crawl around with this bow trying to kill turkey, deer and that dang hog!!!

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Birthday party Oct 1 at 2pm.

Frustrated Jennifer Aniston GIF

• Haha
Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Oh I am hunting the morning then bouncing back an hour and a half to take my kid then heading back that evening for a hunt.

I got out tonight and shot my bow from every stand. From my tree stand I nailed the target. Cut a limb that was the last one left. Had to be the sketchiest thing I have done in a month. Which was why it was the last one left lol.

Got the platform stand all done way into the dark that was fun. This thing is going to be a blast though worth every second of scolding by my wife for being late finishing it.

Let some Yeti calls out and had two does come in and a couple Yotes.

I feel like a kid before Christmas. Lol

Last edited:
I don’t hunt but I make a couple trips to deer camp in SE Oklahoma to cook and get hammered. I am finalizing the menu for trip one right now. Can’t wait.

I don’t hunt but I make a couple trips to deer camp in SE Oklahoma to cook and get hammered. I am finalizing the menu for trip one right now. Can’t wait.
Five days. I have all my gear laid out and ready to go. I pack it every day. My family is ready for me to get to the woods. lol

Going up on Saturday and setting up 3 blinds for Sunday. Two in a couple really cool wooded spots then one for the pig hunt at dusk. I got some persimmon butter I am also going to put right below my tree stand. With two real apples that might fall out of my pants.

I don't give a shit what buck walks out Sunday. I get two so if I see a buck Sunday I am going for it.

EDIT** If I get out of this birthday party I am also turkey hunting late morning into the afternoon.

Watch out fellows venison in the morning turkey in the afternoon and pork at dark.

Happy Americas Got Talent GIF by Bombay Softwares

Reactions: squeak
Here we are less than 9 hours. I am getting up at 3 to drive in and be in my stand by 5:15am. I have a look at 120ish yards on the were the pig is coming in in hopes one comes by tomorrow morning. I am taking my 308 want to try to test this gun before deer gun opens.

Got the blinds all up and ready and soaked the areas in berry, apple and persimmon today.

I hope I can sleep….

Holding Mel Gibson GIF

Here we are less than 9 hours. I am getting up at 3 to drive in and be in my stand by 5:15am. I have a look at 120ish yards on the were the pig is coming in in hopes one comes by tomorrow morning. I am taking my 308 want to try to test this gun before deer gun opens.

Got the blinds all up and ready and soaked the areas in berry, apple and persimmon today.

I hope I can sleep….

Holding Mel Gibson GIF

If you want to really eff up your archery chances for the season, go out there and shoot that 308.

Biggest buck I have seen all year came through last night. Hoping he come back at light. Good hunting fellows.

Hit a buck already waiting drinking my coffee about to go see if I hit straight.

Sounds like you’re working
Worn out.

This buck I got had been around when I came in at 5:30am. I was able not to spoke him and get in my tree stand. I watched him all morning in the dark and thought at one point it was just a doe. Then the sun came out and I watched this guy for 2 hours almost. I was sending my BIL photos and he was goating me into to taking it. It walked away got spoked and I thought was gone. 15 minutes later it comes back. So I watched another 20 minutes and took my shot.

I missed my buck by 1 inch and only clipped his lung then gut shot him. It was a 35ish yard shot. Had he been facing the other way the angle I was at would have went right into the other lung and been a better shot. I learned something yesterday for future hunts there. So we could not find a blood trail at but the thing walked out of the clear to the tree line very slow so we knew it was hit good just not enough. Waited 1.5 hours then started walking around. I thought the thing went into the woods but after three hours of looking I had a thought that maybe he walked out of the my sightline but not into the woods and then went North into this other tree line. So by now my BIL is off work and helping me. He has been up all night working a 12 hour shift. So I thought what was a nice rock and if you know me you know I am checking it out. Well it was the deer bedded down. Jumped up ran at my BIL saw him then just bedded back down. Nither had a bow at this time so we marked it on the GPS then backed out got our bows and went back in. I crawled up on this within 15 yards and it took an hour. I finally got the shot I wanted and knelt down to get below the brush line and cramped in my hammy. So of course I stand up really quick spook the deer. So we wait back out waited a bit then went back into the brush and this area is thick. Some how I found it and I just right there put a shot on it and nailed the lungs at about 20 yards. Finally got it down thank god I felt so bad. Then got him gutted and processed.

Now I am going to just wait and see if I get this big buck before my BIL or the neighbor. We all want him.

I went 21 hours yesterday on 4 hours of sleep.

They have venison at the store you murderer!
My sister always tries to make me feel bad. You would think a person who had a deer literally run into the side of her car who understand the role hunters play. One reason we most likely won’t talk about the pack of wild dogs that have now shown up in my hunting playground and are chasing the herd. In the middle of nowhere there isn’t even cell service and there is a spray dog with four offspring. This is the life I live.

Reactions: squeak
At my lease, a working cattle ranch, there was a pack of 4 dogs that attacked and killed a 6-7 month old show heifer in a pen, and maimed another heifer badly. That heifer managed to kick and kill one of the dogs. At least two were caught on nearby game cameras. The haven't been back to our knowledge, but dogs do things in a pack that you would never guess they would do sitting so sweetly at your feet at home.

Big boy came in tonight. I can’t believe my BIL wasn’t in that stand tonight. Going out tomorrow morning hope to be out there at 5:30am in the blind.

Just got the platform done. Built a 6x8 that I put on 8 foot poles. Heading up to set this up and my new green led lights that are insane lol. I think the rut is about to hit seeing a lot more movement. So hopefully an evening hunt tomorrow also. I am then hunting for bedlam we have won every game I have hunted during. I am to superstitious not to hunt. I will just get in my stand early and watch the game then be setup perfectly to hunt till dark and then get a night hunt for this pig! These lights are like street lights lol.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
took a nice large 7 point tuesday at dark. found him the next day, frozen solid. my first shot from a new black powder rig.

had watched a doe at the feeder for 35 minutes. used a call and 10 minutes later he jumped the fence and headed to the feeder. stopped and stared at me for 2 minutes and turned sideways, got the sight picture i wanted and pulled the trigger. he ran about 70 yards, shot was through the heart. i am a greenhorn, only been deer hunting 8 yrs. getting better and more selective.

seeing lots of deer, only a couple of shooters.

lease is east of stw off coyle road.

Good luck this weekend boys. I used to be obsessed and shot a couple net booners and then just quit for whatever damn reason. Maybe get back into it next year.

Got into the Bermuda yesterday and got feeders filled and put finale touches on the Yeti nest. Then put out some drips for bucks I think the rut hasn’t peaked yet IMO. I also put out sow in heat urine lol. I have a boar on camera I have never seen show up last night and omg trophy. Hoping my BIL gets his first kill finally.

Rut peaked here like first week of November ImO. I legit have reached an age where I’m a pretty lazy hunter. Was looking for my orange this morning 45 minute before going out. Pass on a lot now.

I saw two different episodes of dominant bucks breeding does last week. Rut is definitely here and has been for a week. I got my bowhunting buck, a smaller 10 pointer, last Thursday. Nice, average shooter buck for me, but not the buck I was hoping to bag. Given the size bucks I've been seeing, a bit of a disappointment. Still, the venison will be great! Going to elk hunt next.....

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Back from deer camp near Sardis Lake. Cooked stir fry night one, smoked pork and tri tip night two, and Mexican casserole night three. Nobody got any deer. Saw 8 doe. Drank 80 beers. Weather was incredible.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Wish this guy would come out during day light… I would tag out and make my wife happy with that guy.

Well yesterday I was made a fool. I was sitting in what I thought was primetime yesterday evening while the trophy buck was eating in the other field. Guy brought in like 6 does and just ate corn till dark. My BIL made sure to send me pictures of him all evening while I was in the wrong spot also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT