ADVERTISEMENT

Censorship

You clearly don't know what any of this is about. The internet goes beyond American borders, the Communications Decency Act pertains only to what happens here.
Yes and the internet is a different experience in different legal jurisdictions. Do you mind if we stick to the U.S. for our discussion?

It's not about repealing 230 either, it's a question of whether those that receive extra protections are expected to maintain standards of fair and unbiased moderation. Facebook, et.al, claim they support free speech -- in their congressional testimony for example -- but do they really and how/should we hold them accountable?
Does anything in 230 require unbiased moderation?

Lay me out your plan in defense of free speech on social media platforms.
The owners of the actual infrastructure of the internet, ISPs, DNSs, should not be able to discriminate based on any criteria (since they are an actual public utility). Remember the net neutrality thing a while back that I'm sure a lot of the "free speech warriors" here were on the wrong side of?

Beyond that if you put your speech into the marketplace of ideas and marketplace rejects it, then you are out of luck. No participation trophies in the marketplace of ideas, but you can still publish a website at least.

Yes and the internet is a different experience in different legal jurisdictions. Do you mind if we stick to the U.S. for our discussion?

Does anything in 230 require unbiased moderation?

1. No. Because, personally, most of my issues with social media are transgressions that took place in foreign countries. That's why I'm not biting on the R vs D exchanges here. We should hold social media companies accountable for their actions in foreign companies just like we do every other American entity.

2. Yes. Most of the immunity provisions for social media cos have come throuth the courts since social media wasn't even a thing when 230 was crafted. Those same court rulings have placed a "fair and unbiased" restriction on the entitlement.

1. No. Because, personally, most of my issues with social media are transgressions that took place in foreign countries. That's why I'm not biting on the R vs D exchanges here. We should hold social media companies accountable for their actions in foreign companies just like we do every other American entity.
What is an example of an issue you have?

2. Yes. Most of the immunity provisions for social media cos have come throuth the courts since social media wasn't even a thing when 230 was crafted. Those same court rulings have placed a "fair and unbiased" restriction on the entitlement.
You are going to have to point me to that (I read the wired article you posted, and read through the case law section of the section 230 wikipedia page, so this isn't me being lazy)

Last edited:
The owners of the actual infrastructure of the internet, ISPs, DNSs, should not be able to discriminate based on any criteria (since they are an actual public utility). Remember the net neutrality thing a while back that I'm sure a lot of the "free speech warriors" here were on the wrong side of?

Beyond that if you put your speech into the marketplace of ideas and marketplace rejects it, then you are out of luck. No participation trophies in the marketplace of ideas, but you can still publish a website at least.

The internet is not a public utility. That notion died when Hillary lost. Any classification or movement in that area has been rolled back.

My question is who is the bigger arbitrator of speech in 2019, the government or social media companies? Where do most of the exchanges of ideas take place?

The Constitution doesn't limit it to state-actors on free speech, a SCOTUS opinion from a hundred odd years ago does. So should we think about including companies like Facebook with state-actors? Do we make a law that says that platforms with x number of users have to act like the state when it comes to the information people exchange?

The internet is not a public utility. That notion died when Hillary lost. Any classification or movement in that area has been rolled back.
Legally no, but in reality the internet infrastructure is a text book example of a public utility (capital intensive, commodified, geographic in scale, replication doesn't increase welfare)

My question is who is the bigger arbitrator of speech in 2019, the government or social media companies? Where do most of the exchanges of ideas take place?
Social media, Social media.

The Constitution doesn't limit it to state-actors on free speech,
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

looks to me like it does.

So should we think about including companies like Facebook with state-actors? Do we make a law that says that platforms with x number of users have to act like the state when it comes to the information people exchange?
No, I would prefer to nationalize or at least break up any entity where this becomes a legit problem. (and I acknowledge the potential for this to be a real problem, I don't think we are there yet https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/1...million-people-united-states-privacy-scandals, and as further evidence I had heard of all the charlatans facebook banned, and I don't use facebook). I think it is an obvious breech of the platform's free speech rights to not allow it to pick and choose the content it hosts and publish.

Yeah if a social media platform discriminated on the basis of sex or race that would be covered by the CRA

There is only one facebook, but there are literally dozens of social networks. I mean any ol' bakery will do if you don't care about the quality of your buttercream

Megapoke: small businesses should be able to discriminate against gay people.
True ally.
Also you keep saying "utility" I am not sure you know what that means.

That's right, it is okay to discriminate based on politics, not sexual orientation. You nailed the distinction.

Wow so far you have compared gay people wanting a wedding cake to white nationalists and satanists harassing bakers. I guess you are a true ally to the gays the same way you are a free speech warrior.

See, you aren't lazy in the sense that you won't take the time to quote multiple posts and craft multiple answers. It's that that you seem to have complete shit for brains on the analysis side. The picture you are painting is simply inaccurate.

See, you aren't lazy in the sense that you won't take the time to quote multiple posts and craft multiple answers. It's that that you seem to have complete shit for brains on the analysis side. The picture you are painting is simply inaccurate.
Solid argument

With this type of reward for my effort, it is a wonder why I am ever "lazy" or dismissive of you

Reactions: Syskatine
Solid argument

With this type of reward for my effort, it is a wonder why I am ever "lazy" or dismissive of you

Please spend a half hour researching something in good faith so a troll can "fake news" or "whatabout" it away.

It's no wonder. You get your ass handed to you if you actually try, so I guess lazy is your speed. Stay in your lane civil rights champion.
Yeah mega you are really handing me my ass. Keep paying the censors your money, warrior.

Oh I will. I don’t have much choice. It’s crushing to know that makes you think less of me.
Not spending a chunk of my marketing budget on a website I designate as an enemy of free speech is my own personal Valley Forge.
valley-forge-national.jpg

Reactions: MegaPoke
‘I only regret, that I have but one life to lose for my country.’ -- Nathan Hale (1st LT)
'I only regret, that my click through rate isn't higher' -- MegaPoke (F.S.W)

1. Facebook bans and de-platforms people who did not break the terms and conditions because Zuckerburg doesn't like them.
2. It's pointed out this is a free speech violation
3. It's argued that facebook is a private entity and can do as it pleases (thinking this is a trap for free market "conservatives")
4. It is counter-pointed out that facebook has +1 billion users and is an irreplaceable marketing and networking communication utility.
5. 07 says simple solution is to start an alternative to facebook.
6. It's pointed out google tried that and failed because facebook is clearly an unassailable monopoly.
7. 07 brings up bakers, civil rights and mocks free speech "warriors" for being "cuck bitches" for not sacrificing their businesses because they don't like facebook's recent bannings. Also implies they hate gays if they don't support some asshole's right to endlessly harass a small business owner.
8. 07 and a couple of other nitwits declare thread victory.
9. It stretches into a second day with the humorless and shallow thinking 07 lobbing softballs over the fence, trying and failing to be hurtful with analogies that he believes will piss people off for purposely being in bad taste - continues to sling "cuck bitch" like a basic internet tough guy shielded by anonymity.
10. He believes he is a liberal, but mocks free speech concerns, labeling me a free speech warrior - thinking that is an ironic cutdown.
11. 07's understanding of marketing and free enterprise was on display recently in a healthcare thread where @Medic007 and someone else in the healthcare industry ran train on him for several pages and he hilariously declared the marketing budget for medical offices should be $0.00. And this is the guy who thinks he's making an irrefutable point by claiming I am a "cuck bitch" if I don't sacrifice my business to make protest a free speech issue.
12. Zero understanding of marketing, zero empathy towards small business owners, and zero fvcks given about free speech by this so called liberal.

But yeah, he definitely hasn't had his ass handed to him again. Just ask him.

1. Facebook bans and de-platforms people who did not break the terms and conditions because Zuckerburg doesn't like them.
3. It's argued that facebook is a private entity and can do as it pleases (thinking this is a trap for free market "conservatives")
4. It is counter-pointed out that facebook has +1 billion users and is an irreplaceable marketing and networking communication utility.
6. It's pointed out google tried that and failed because facebook is clearly an unassailable monopoly.
7. 07 brings up bakers, civil rights and mocks free speech "warriors" for being "cuck bitches" for not sacrificing their businesses because they don't like facebook's recent bannings. Also implies they hate gays if they don't support some asshole's right to endlessly harass a small business owner.
9. It stretches into a second day with the humorless and shallow thinking 07 lobbing softballs over the fence, trying and failing to be hurtful with analogies that he believes will piss people off for purposely being in bad taste - continues to sling "cuck bitch" like a basic internet tough guy shielded by anonymity.
10. He believes he is a liberal, but mocks free speech concerns, labeling me a free speech warrior - thinking that is an ironic cutdown.
11. 07's understanding of marketing and free enterprise was on display recently in a healthcare thread where @Medic007 and someone else in the healthcare industry ran train on him for several pages and he hilariously declared the marketing budget for medical offices should be $0.00. And this is the guy who thinks he's making an irrefutable point by claiming I am a "cuck bitch" if I don't sacrifice my business to make protest a free speech issue.
12. Zero understanding of marketing, zero empathy towards small business owners, and zero fvcks given about free speech by this so called liberal.

Yea but he had pictures soooo....

Mega, I am not mocking "free speech warrior" because I think it is unworthy thing to aspire to. I think true "free speech warriors" are admirable. I am mocking you, the cuck bitch who won't make the tiny sacrifice of boycotting Facebook for ever comparing yourself to any type of warrior.

I'll get back to the rest of your retconning of this conversation at a later date

Mega, I am not mocking "free speech warrior" because I think it is unworthy thing to aspire to. I think true "free speech warriors" are admirable. I am mocking you, the cuck bitch who won't make the tiny sacrifice of boycotting Facebook for ever comparing yourself to any type of warrior.

I'll get back to the rest of your retconning of this conversation at a later date

See #11

As is clearly the right of facebook
No it isn't. Those people are free to speak just not on facebook. It would be a free speech violation to force facebook to host speech they find objectionable. When did the right to free speech entail the right to be heard?
Yes. It is a really good trap.
You don't know what a utility is.
Which is clearly the free market solution that requires no government coercion.
Is facebook the only social network? I could have sworn there are more. It should be easy enough to assail that monopoly if they are shutting out voices that have a following that can't be heard elsewhere. What you are conceding is that the snake oil salesmen banned from facebook have lost in the marketplace of ideas so badly that people won't even bother to merely sign up for a social media network that promises to include them.
7. 07 brings up bakers.
Wrong. MegaPoke brings up bakers

Sorry but this is the very definition of capitulation.
I wasn't trying to piss "people" off, I was trying to piss you off, because you should feel bad. 1. your conception of free speech is stupid and unworkable 2. you are a cuck bitch who won't take any action.
See my previous post. A person with real free speech concerns has to have a workable conception of free speech.

11. 07's understanding of marketing and free enterprise was on display recently in a healthcare thread where @Medic007 and someone else in the healthcare industry ran train on him for several pages
Talk about a confirmation bias funnel. The guy who insisted healthcare can't be cheaper despite all other countries with price controls being cheaper and the other guy who called GE's healthcare division a boat anchor most definitely didn't run any trains.
and he hilariously declared the marketing budget for medical offices should be $0.00.
Where is the lie?
And this is the guy who thinks he's making an irrefutable point by claiming I am a "cuck bitch" if I don't sacrifice my business to make protest a free speech issue.
You are. And to call yourself a free speech warrior when the real warriors laid their lives on the line is such a joke.
I am positive I understand marketing better than you think healthcare marketing is necessary. Zero empathy to you, who deserves no empathy. And enough fvcks given about free speech that insiste on that phrase having a coherent meaning.

Last edited:
cool I guess we both agree you are a free speech fanboy.

Yeah I definitely am that. Huge free speech fanboy. In fact, I'm such a fanboy of the first Amendment, I am planning on getting some Constitution themed tats later this year to incorporate into sleeve or half sleeve designs with music stuff. So if you want to hold me accountable for doing something, how about that? It's either that or a new guitar at this point.

I realize you enjoy being an asshole. So do I. But if you are going to accuse me of something (claiming to be a "warrior", throwing "liberal" around) try to make sure you aren't full of shit.

Let's boil the facebook argument down to this for us.... Utility or not. It's a semantics argument. Does it meet every definition of a utility? No. Is there a realistic alternative to using it for any small business? No.

Facebook is an essential platform for me to promote my business. 99.9% of my income comes from my business. The rest comes from music which I also have to promote on facebook. Semantics aside, it's a utility for me and unlike some other utilities (wifi, cell phone service), there is no other option.

There is literally no option if I want either to be a successful promotion. For me, as a small business owner and an artist - facebook is a critical element of me being able to keep my studio doors open. My placement on Google is as well. Boycotting these things is career suicide. It cannot be done. So, when you tell me I'm a cuck bitch for not purposely killing my business, it doesn't come across as intellectually honest. Criticize me for anything you want. Some of it is even deserved, but I won't be boycotting the internet platforms where literally everyone is (facebook, Instagram (facebook lite) ) and where everyone looks for services (google).

Boycotting is for pussies anyway, and I've never been an advocate of boycotting anything or anyone. I consume content from artists all the time who i disagree with. I shot a Snoop Dog concert last month - should I boycott that opportunity based on what you think of me? Of course not. What I would like to see is facebook changing their censorship criteria or at least being consistent about it between different ideologies. Is that too much to ask? Is there no point on this for us to agree or are you just committed to defending facebook because you think "conservatives" are bitching about censorship?

Yeah I definitely am that. Huge free speech fanboy. In fact, I'm such a fanboy of the first Amendment, I am planning on getting some Constitution themed tats later this year to incorporate into sleeve or half sleeve designs with music stuff. So if you want to hold me accountable for doing something, how about that? It's either that or a new guitar at this point.
How does forcing facebook to host the brain pill ads fit within a first amendment framework?

Let's boil the facebook argument down to this for us.... Utility or not. It's a semantics argument. Does it meet every definition of a utility? No. Is there a realistic alternative to using it for any small business? No.
Absolutely. I work for a small business with no facebook presence, and booked my wedding photographer with a google search.

Facebook is an essential platform for me to promote my business. 99.9% of my income comes from my business. The rest comes from music which I also have to promote on facebook. Semantics aside, it's a utility for me and unlike some other utilities (wifi, cell phone service), there is no other option.
wifi and cellphone service aren't utilities. So you point is that facebook has built an extremely valuable marketing tool for you so therefore they shouldn't be able to control the content they host? Help me understand that? Newspapers and yellow pages used to serve a similar function in the digital age, was it some sort of problem when the newpaper wouldn't publish editorial letters about fluoridated water, and the yellow pages wouldn't publish ads from known scammers?

There is literally no option if I want either to be a successful promotion. For me, as a small business owner and an artist - facebook is a critical element of me being able to keep my studio doors open. My placement on Google is as well. Boycotting these things is career suicide. It cannot be done. So, when you tell me I'm a cuck bitch for not purposely killing my business, it doesn't come across as intellectually honest. Criticize me for anything you want. Some of it is even deserved, but I won't be boycotting the internet platforms where literally everyone is (facebook, Instagram (facebook lite) ) and where everyone looks for services (google).
I'm sorry but how would you describe the position of being beholden to google and facebook for your livelihood?

Boycotting is for pussies anyway, and I've never been an advocate of boycotting anything or anyone.
What yeah using the only form of power you have to affect giant corporations is for losers
I consume content from artists all the time who i disagree with. I shot a Snoop Dog concert last month - should I boycott that opportunity based on what you think of me? Of course not.
Why would you boycott snoop dogg?
What I would like to see is facebook changing their censorship criteria or at least being consistent about it between different ideologies. Is that too much to ask?
Well I have bad news for you about the chances of that happening when not censoring affects their bottom line and the people they piss off by censoring thing boycotting is for pussies.

Is there no point on this for us to agree or are you just committed to defending facebook because you think "conservatives" are bitching about censorship?
I'm not defending facebook, I personally boycott them. If you want to make an argument for breaking them up or nationalizing them, I'm all ears, but "private companies can't control the content they host if they are also an extremely valuable market tool" is not workable at all and isn't part of an internally consistent framework on free speech.

Search this thread for the post I made that cited the EFF on section 230

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT