ADVERTISEMENT

Brackettville

okstate28

All-American
Gold Member
I had a lease NW of Brackettville, Texas for 17 years until last year. The Rancher Called last Thursday and wanted to know if I wanted it back. (he played for UT in 54 & 55) I've been pondering until this morning and decided to call him and tell him no. To my surprise, he wouldn't take no for an answer and told me to pay him some when I could this year. I told him I couldn't pay him right now and that I wouldn't hunt it until I got him paid. However he stated, "You kept the windmills going and shot all the sheep you could on it.. I hate sheep so go ahead and Hunt It. (Did I say he hates sheep?)

He then wanted to talk as always UT and OSU football. I guess I'm headed to Brackettville Next Monday..

Reactions: Jeff J.
Some of my very best memories with my son happened on that piece of property!

Reactions: okstate28
I'd probably entertain 3500 to 4K per gun. There are some 2500 per gun places but they don't compare to the game on this one. Aoudad, Black Hawaiian Corsican and Texas Dahl Rams. Whitetail Deer in 135 to 170+, Hogs all you want to kill and did I say the rancher hates Sheep. Lot's of Turkey (mostly Rio's) Bobwhite and Blue quail. Morning and Whitewing dove. It's also year around hunting.

Note the North End is High Fenced. 10 Miles of no fence to the East, 18 miles of low fence to the South, Mostly low fence to the West.

Don't forget Axis and Blackbuck. I've not ever seen either one personally, but have heard enough stories from guys that have hunted it a lot that they do wander through on occasion. I shot a whitetail buck in 2004 that was almost certainly an axis cross....had faint spots all down it's back.

One of the last trips down, I saw a Mexican Wolf.

It's like the Ghost of Christmas Past!

Not really, that's just my brother using my old ID!

That sounds great! Would love to be involved and help get it jump started if it looks like it can be done. I'll be traveling the rest of the week but could probably jump on a call if that makes sense. I'd be able to respond to email as well.

Good lord, if this was even remotely close to me, I'd be in. I wish you all well. The distance would mean it would be a once a year for me, likely.

Good lord, if this was even remotely close to me, I'd be in. I wish you all well. The distance would mean it would be a once a year for me, likely.

The other guys primarily responding in this thread both reside in Colorado...

The other guys primarily responding in this thread both reside in Colorado...

Presumably, they also don't have little children, either. If my children were older or I didn't have any, the distance would be less of an issue. As it is, I'll consider it, anyway. I have two sheep on my wall from the Y-O Ranch. I love the country and the hunting.

Reactions: HockleyPoke1
Granted, I only have one kid, but he made his first trip down there when he was 3. Immediately after Ohio State whipped OSU's tail in the Alamo Bowl, as a matter of fact! It's a pretty kid-friendly place!

Well, mine are 18 months. Two as in twins. It's more my wife being home alone with the kids for even more days but things are finally getting easier in that regard.

I've got 5 kids ages 2 through 8. Getting away will be a chore, it always is.

Well, mine are 18 months. Two as in twins. It's more my wife being home alone with the kids for even more days but things are finally getting easier in that regard.

Shoot me an email so I can get you added to the informational email string we have going.

28, sometimes things just fall in your lap (=blessings), so enjoy the ranch. It's special to get to hunt a private property that size that's been managed well. Lots of great memories get made there too, I'm sure. I had a place that special for many years when I was younger in what is now known as Packsaddle Wildlife Management Area in NW Okla. (at least about 5000 acres of it). Where I have hunted for about 35 yrs now (exclusively bowhunt) in Latimer Co. is a big ranch (almost 5K acres) but for the first time this year I took a lease of about 1000 acres on that ranch but for just 5 of us, and when bowhunting it is plenty. Hope you can fill it with a great bunch (and no doubt you will).

This place is awesome! Not only should it be productive, but its got a mystical quality at sunset and sundown!

If you are considering or would like to do something like this...jump on this!

It's also very family friendly where father/son, father/daughter or uncle/niece or nephew interactions have a chance to be very special.

If any other OSB'ers have some interest in this lease, but don't want to drop that kind of money sight-unseen, there is an opportunity over the next 8 days to go shoot a spike or two down there and check it out. Message me or okstate28 if you want more details.

Where do you stay, eat, etc when you go down to hunt?

There is a camp there. It has some bunk rooms, kitchen, fire pit, and shower but it's pretty primitive and it needs to be cleaned and worked on some.

I think I am going to sleep on an air mattress in my Expedition next time I go down.

The place is awesome but needs a little TLC to get back in working order after being neglected for several years.

There is a camp there. It has some bunk rooms, kitchen, fire pit, and shower but it's pretty primitive and it needs to be cleaned and worked on some.

I think I am going to sleep on an air mattress in my Expedition next time I go down.

The place is awesome but needs a little TLC to get back in working order after being neglected for several years.
So Poke, were you a personal friend of Bill's or just one of the regulars?

So Poke, were you a personal friend of Bill's or just one of the regulars?

Technically neither. When he was able to get the lease again, he offered to allow some folks to go in with him on the lease. I bought in. I'm just sort of learning about it and have only been once.

I re-read my description, and it made me feel a little snobbish. I was suggesting I might sleep in my car because of the mouse droppings and dust in the sleeping areas. That suggests the possibility of hantavirus. Until all the dust is wiped up with bleach, a person could contract the disease via inhalation. It's a bad disease to catch.

Technically neither. When he was able to get the lease again, he offered to allow some folks to go in with him on the lease. I bought in. I'm just sort of learning about it and have only been once.
I'm sorry Poke, I was referring to the picture in your avatar. I knew the man, not well, but he certainly was an interesting character.

Haha, oh. Really neither. I went in some but wouldn't call myself a regular. I had some friends that stayed in Stillwater after graduation and they became friends with him. The bar was such a great place for pictures in the afternoon and Bill himself was a great photo. He allowed me to take some pictures in there and take some shots of him. It wasn't too long before he died.

Haha, oh. Really neither. I went in some but wouldn't call myself a regular. I had some friends that stayed in Stillwater after graduation and they became friends with him. The bar was such a great place for pictures in the afternoon and Bill himself was a great photo. He allowed me to take some pictures in there and take some shots of him. It wasn't too long before he died.
From the sixties on, Bill was a fixture on the strip. His Italian restaurant was great and of course he made Willies a legend and it really provided the platform for Red Dirt music.
I hope I see you this year down at Brackettville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT