149: 4- Gfeller 1 seed

157: 6- Sheets 3 seed

165: 4- Wittlake 4 seed.

174: 8- Plott 1 seed

184: 4- Geer 4 seed

197: 7- Stika no seed

HWT: 6- Surber 7 seed

Last edited:
We should qualify 9 or 10 for NCAA. But we will need some upsets to have people wrestling Friday morning in quarterfinals. Obviously depends on conference tournaments, but Fix will likely be the only top 8 seed, which creates a long path to be AA.

I’ve been saying for a few weeks that people aren’t giving Gfeller enough credit in the rankings. I truly believe he’s going to AA this year. If I’m wrong oh well, but I just think he’s been wrestling all year with something to prove. Had a couple of really bad years since coming on the scene strong. I would love to see him come back next year if he does AA and maybe bump up to 157 and fill the gap for his SR year. I think he’s a little small for the weight but it would be better than putting Antony Fearri or Williams out there.

I’ve been saying for a few weeks that people aren’t giving Gfeller enough credit in the rankings. I truly believe he’s going to AA this year. If I’m wrong oh well, but I just think he’s been wrestling all year with something to prove. Had a couple of really bad years since coming on the scene strong. I would love to see him come back next year if he does AA and maybe bump up to 157 and fill the gap for his SR year. I think he’s a little small for the weight but it would be better than putting Antony Fearri or Williams out there.

G and everyone associated with OSU wrestling have been pretty confident this is his last go.

Can anyone explain why lower (higher?) seeds get byes, and higher seeds like Fix get a first round match?
That is screwed up. With a twelve team bracket it's set up perfect for the top four seeds having a bye. It shouldn't be random. This is dumb but I guess that's the way it was last year.

Can anyone explain why lower (higher?) seeds get byes, and higher seeds like Fix get a first round match?
I think they randomly draw in the unseeded wrestlers. That way everyone has the same opportunity at bonus points in the opening round.

Yep we need the opportunity for bonus points in the first round.

I know most of y'all don't think this... but OSU has a real shot at winning this thing.

I know most of y'all don't think this... but OSU has a real shot at winning this thing.
Duckworth posted projections based on seedings and if everything happened as it's ranked...We would win by one point.

We have a lot of opportunity with G, Fix, and Plott could score a lot of points for us in the first round with soft opponents. A lot will depend upon how injured three of our guys are and if Carter Young has jumped levels.

Last edited:

I think all of us think that the Cowboys could or should win the Big 12. However the truth is it should not be even close. Hopefully next year that is the case.

I think all of us think that the Cowboys could or should win the Big 12. However the truth is it should not be even close. Hopefully next year that is the case.

Well you lost a champ and replaced him with somebody that is probably going to score zero points... and then you have two other guys that are dinged up bad enough that they probably shouldn't be wrestling.

I think it's a testament to the depth of the team that they're still the favorite, even with everything going wrong.

What are y’all’s predictions?
Mastro: I wanna put Mastro in the finals but I just don’t know if he’s healthy. If he’s 100% then I would predict him as a champion. But I’ll put him as 3rd for now.

Fix: 1st not any debate.

Young: 3rd. I’m gonna be a little bold and say that Carter will pop off and finish 3rd

Gfeller: 1st. He’s wrestling the best he has in a long time.

Sheets: 3rd tentatively: he could honestly place anywhere from 3rd-7th honestly.

Wittlake: 3rd: unfortunately he didn’t get the best seed so I’ll say he takes 3rd like last year.

Plott: 1st tentatively. He can do it he just needs to not make any dumb mistakes.

Geer: 3rd. I think Keckiesen and Coleman will make the finals and Geer will finally get over the hump and beat Samuelson.

Stika: WNP or maybe 7th or 8th at best.

Surber 5th: I think he could go on a run but I’ll meet a little in the middle and say 5th.

Reactions: leecothran
Mastro: I wanna put Mastro in the finals but I just don’t know if he’s healthy. If he’s 100% then I would predict him as a champion. But I’ll put him as 3rd for now.

Young: 3rd. I’m gonna be a little bold and say that Carter will pop off and finish 3rd

Sheets: 3rd tentatively: he could honestly place anywhere from 3rd-7th honestly.

Wittlake: 3rd: unfortunately he didn’t get the best seed so I’ll say he takes 3rd like last year.

Plott: 1st tentatively. He can do it he just needs to not make any dumb mistakes.

Geer: 3rd. I think Keckiesen and Coleman will make the finals and Geer will finally get over the hump and beat Samuelson.

Surber 5th: I think he could go on a run but I’ll meet a little in the middle and say 5th.

put mine here:

I think Wittlake falls to 5th. Agree on Sheets.

Reactions: TheJimReaper

Of course I hope all our wrestlers do good, but I will be most interested in how the 2020, 2021 class does in the Big 12, qualify for Nationals and do well in Nationals. These wrestlers are Mastro, Young, Plott and Surber. Next year is the year and these freshmen will be keys for next year along with Daton winning Nationals and Wittlake placing high. Will Wittlake be able to wrestle well with injury is a real question and I saw Coach Smith say pre Big 12 meet with the media, what is most important is being healthy mentally. Will Travis lay down in a tough match because he isn't near 100%? Will Trevor go after it despite not being fully healthy. Would be great to see Dustin really open up and jump a level.

Last edited:
Reactions: turfpoke
Of course I hope all our wrestlers do good, but I will be most interested in how the 2020, 2021 class does in the Big 12, qualify for Nationals and do well in Nationals. These wrestlers are Mastro, Young, Plott and Surber. Next year is the year and these freshmen will be keys for next year along with Daton winning Nationals and Wittlake placing high. Will Wittlake be able to wrestle well with injury is a real question and I saw Coach Smith say pre Big 12 meet with the media, what is most important is being healthy mentally. Will Travis lay down in a tough match because he isn't near 100%? Will Trevor go after it despite not being fully healthy. Would be great to see Dustin really open up and jump a level.
A poor first match by Mastro he won against NDSU but he needed bonus. He took down and got road the whole 2 minutes and he is limping. If a coach had him go down what a mistake because takedown were easy for Mastro.

A poor first match by Mastro he won against NDSU but he needed bonus. He took down and got road the whole 2 minutes and he is limping. If a coach had him go down what a mistake because takedown were easy for Mastro.
North Dakota chose top

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT