ADVERTISEMENT

AJ"s Offense

OAMC99

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2002
Obviously his defense and overall strength are outstanding. It will be very difficult for anyone to take him down this year. However, I'm concerned about his offense. I haven't seen a lot from him other than the blast double leg. Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing last night. My feeling is that he has offense. It seems like AJ enjoys frustrating his opponents with his defense. We are getting the opportunity to witness something really special.

Reactions: OAMC99
I was thinking the same thing last night. My feeling is that he has offense. It seems like AJ enjoys frustrating his opponents with his defense. We are getting the opportunity to witness something really special.
AJ has the quickness and the strength to do what he wants to most opponents. It is hard to be critical of a wrestler that has one loss in his career and was a National champion as a freshman. I do not want this to be taken wrong as I admire his work ethic and his athletic ability. Sometimes his theatricalism gets in the way of his ability and I believe he needs to concentrate more on his wrestling. He obviously works harder than any one else in the room and can up his concentration on his skills when it is needed. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to college wrestling and wish he would leave some of that baggage for after his wrestling career in college is done. Of course you could argue and probably be right in saying that this is just AJ and if you take that away from him he would not be himself and might lose his enthusiasm. It is a fine line and I am proud he is a Cowboy. He is an extreme talent.

AJ has the quickness and the strength to do what he wants to most opponents. It is hard to be critical of a wrestler that has one loss in his career and was a National champion as a freshman. I do not want this to be taken wrong as I admire his work ethic and his athletic ability. Sometimes his theatricalism gets in the way of his ability and I believe he needs to concentrate more on his wrestling. He obviously works harder than any one else in the room and can up his concentration on his skills when it is needed. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to college wrestling and wish he would leave some of that baggage for after his wrestling career in college is done. Of course you could argue and probably be right in saying that this is just AJ and if you take that away from him he would not be himself and might lose his enthusiasm. It is a fine line and I am proud he is a Cowboy. He is an extreme talent.
I hear you and don't disagree on a lot of what you're saying. I don't think most of us would like AJ at all if he didn't wrestle for OSU. Although you have to admire how hard he works and grinds. And he loves OSU. So I'm very glad we have him and his brothers to follow.

I’m with you Oberebo. I’m not a fan of the showmanship, but if that’s what it takes for him to wrestle at this level I’ll take 9 more of him.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Don't get me wrong. Ferrari wins, period. So nothing to really criticize this is just for discussion. I'm wondering how many takedowns he has on the year? And how many pins in his career total? I can't remember many.

If he can add some offense to his arsenal and score more he will elevate the team even more.

He's not Dean Heil, guys, where you worry about your NC losing every match. Bet he's saving some of his offense for the post season so that all of his moves are not on film. Dude is playing the long game.

AJ showed very little offense last year until February. He hit a high crotch at bedlam and I told Senior how happy I was that he expanded his offense. His dad smiled and said that he has all the moves but why put yourself at risk when they can’t score on you. I really can’t argue that point.

I’m with you Oberebo. I’m not a fan of the showmanship, but if that’s what it takes for him to wrestle at this level I’ll take 9 more of him.

Some of it is to get guy to react and try something, anything….

These guys come in and are ultra conservative and just try to wait for a mistake which is boring. I don’t have a problem with AJ getting frustrated and trying to initiate action.

His lack of offense this year has been largely due to opponents not wrestling.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
AJ showed very little offense last year until February. He hit a high crotch at bedlam and I told Senior how happy I was that he expanded his offense. His dad smiled and said that he has all the moves but why put yourself at risk when they can’t score on you. I really can’t argue that point.
Exactly. His goal may be to never get taken down again. I don’t have any doubt that he can take down anyone he wrestles. If we need the team points he’ll get them.

Last year John mentioned something about AJ's reliance on the double leg. Said the key to him winning Nationals was adding a single leg. In AJ's loss to Noah Adams, he gave up the only legit takedown of the season. IIRC AJ tried numerous doubles & singles, but couldn't quite get the winning takedown.

Has he added more attacks since then? Hard to know because he doesn't seem to need them. AJ has lost just 2 folkstyle matches in the last 6 years - 1 as a freshman in HS, the other as true freshman in college.

As the weights go up, the offensive wrestling goes down. AJ has the strength and flexibility to be a champion at 197 without the great mat offense. He is great at the takedowns due to his strength which allows him to complete most takedowns that others would lose grip on, and the speed and explosiveness he has allow him to get that grip. His defense is tough for the exact same reasons, plus his flexibility. Even when they get on him he can do some things to stop the takedown that others simply can't.

I think he can do some good mat wrestling, but has anybody really seen him work many pinning combos against good opponents? His strength does allow for great riding. Right now his pins/back points seem to come against completely overmatched wrestlers, and against anybody decent it's a takedown/escape tradeoff. Great mat wrestlers aren't common at 197. Is Amos a threat?

When you’ve got a Ferrari it doesn’t mean you’ve got to press on the gas all of the time. Getting it to the checkered flag unscratched is the plan.

Is Amos a threat?
I think Amos would have issues with AJ's quickness. Ben Darmstadt from Cornell has been injured, but he could pose some problems. He's 6-5 and a boa constrictor on top. But even with him, I think AJ is just too strong. I don't think any college 197 can beat AJ.

So far we've had fantasy matchups with Gable, Amos & Picklo. Here's another one I'd like to see - Nick Feldman, the OhioSt commit. Have you guys seen him? About 5-11 225 and super quick.

I don’t think it was a lack of offensive attacks . The kid from UVU was a big and strong athlete for 197 . I believe we will see him surprise some people at the big 12 tournament this year.

Reactions: skylinepoke
I don’t think it was a lack of offensive attacks . The kid from UVU was a big and strong athlete for 197 . I believe we will see him surprise some people at the big 12 tournament this year.
Dugan, exactly my point in fantasy matchups. When people are hoping for a Steveson-Ferrari match up. Steveson is stronger, bigger, faster and more athletic and a better wrestler the UVU wrestler. I hope we never see AJ wrestle Steveson because it would be embarrasing. This is not a knock on AJ but Steveson is all those things above compared to AJ.

Reactions: CrazyChuckCarbo
Dugan, exactly my point in fantasy matchups. When people are hoping for a Steveson-Ferrari match up. Steveson is stronger, bigger, faster and more athletic and a better wrestler the UVU wrestler. I hope we never see AJ wrestle Steveson because it would be embarrasing. This is not a knock on AJ but Steveson is all those things above compared to AJ.
Plus 50-60 pounds. Steveson is the complete package. When he lifted Derek White off the ground like a rag doll I was sold.

I don’t think it was a lack of offensive attacks . The kid from UVU was a big and strong athlete for 197 . I believe we will see him surprise some people at the big 12 tournament this year

Yes the UVU kid was very strong, because AJ got a grip on his opponents legs and could not pull him in ( very rare). AJ struggles keeping wrestlers from getting up on their feet when he is on top and hence when they stand he grabs a leg and takes them off the mat which will set up stalling calls in the future. It seems AJ should be able to grind opponents and he should work at turning his opponents much more as has been brought up. From neutral he shoots way more than the guys he is wrestling. I would think Coach Smith is stressing separating the score more in his matches. Close matches do catch up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyTanker
Preview from OSU Max.

Chris Perry said AJ is the hardest working upper weight that he's ever been around. Luke Surber said the biggest things he's picked up from AJ is the hard work and the confidence when he steps on the mat.

Guys, I wouldn't worry about AJ's offense.

That double would be enough. He has a sweep single with the best cutback I've ever seen. But he can finish it on his feet as well. Is he an offensive machine. Nope. But go back watch the sequence of the 1st takedown against Buchanon - when he turns it on, no one is stopping him. He's so athletic and so sound defensively, he's a nightmare matchup for everyone. An undersized Dean has the best chance at beating him, and I'm not sure its really that good a chance.

As "tough and deep" as 197 is. It's AJ and then everyone else because of his unique combination of athleticism and wrestling skill.

Okay let me clarify my concern about AJ's lack of offense. I'm not worried about him getting beat. I don't think anyone can or will beat him.

But I do predict a bunch of 5-2 regular decisions with his lack of offense. Boring matches he always wins. Which is fine. I love the guy and I'm glad we have him and the last thing we need to be doing is complaining about a guy that works as hard as he does and represents us well.

In the spirit of discussion, here's what would be ideal. AJ improving his offense and turning regular decisions into major decisions, MDs into TFs and most importantly pinning more people. He doesn't hardly pin anyone now despite being way stronger and more athletic than most of his opponents.

We're chasing Penn State. What do they do? They pin people. They get bonus points. Their combined bonus points often equal the points an extra wrestler at Nationals would produce.

I want AJ to pin people and if he doesn't pin people tech them and if he doesn't tech them win by major decision. He is more than capable. Add offense and he will do this.

Last edited:
Okay let me clarify my concern about AJ's lack of offense. I'm not worried about him getting beat. I don't think anyone can or will beat him.

But I do predict a bunch of 5-2 regular decisions with his lack of offense. Boring matches he always wins. Which is fine. I love the guy and I'm glad we have him and the last thing we need to be doing is complaining about a guy that works as hard as he does and represents us well.

In the spirit of discussion, here's what would be even more ideal. AJ improving his offense and turning regular decisions into major decisions, MDs into TFs and most importantly pinning more people. He doesn't hardly pin anyone now despite being way stronger and more athletic than most of his opponents.

We're chasing Penn State. What do they do? They pin people. They get bonus points. Their combined bonus points often equal the points an extra wrestler at Nationals would produce.

I want AJ to pin people and if he doesn't pin people tech them and if he doesn't tech them win by major decision. He is more than capable. Add offense and he will do this.
I’m with you. Penn state has had some bonus machines. They’ve also had plenty of guys that weren’t bonus machines. Mark Hall for example. AJ is what we want. I’m looking at how Mastrogiovanni, Plott, Carter Young, and a couple of others develop. Iowa has more than a couple of guys that have struggled early on and it may be title time this year.

First off let me say I'm pretty qualified to speak on the subject of offensive wrestling. Between John Smith and myself we have 6 World Titles!!!! How many of you can say that? My highly trained eyes and wrestling acumen suggest that AJ is nothing short of a beast. He can turn the offense on when he needs to.
Admittedly I don't understand all the theatrics, but I'm not him. Whatever floats his boat as long as he is producing and not being detrimental to the team. I'm sure John will reign him in if that becomes the issue.

Reactions: birdman1117

That double would be enough. He has a sweep single with the best cutback I've ever seen. But he can finish it on his feet as well. Is he an offensive machine. Nope. But go back watch the sequence of the 1st takedown against Buchanon - when he turns it on, no one is stopping him. He's so athletic and so sound defensively, he's a nightmare matchup for everyone. An undersized Dean has the best chance at beating him, and I'm not sure its really that good a chance.

As "tough and deep" as 197 is. It's AJ and then everyone else because of his unique combination of athleticism and wrestling skill.

nino gave him a pretty good match and he’s looked really solid this year. Also, never write off a dean. I think it’s those three and then everyone else.

AJ has wrestled 7 times this year and bonused 4 guys. The three he didn't were Bockman, Woodley and Buchanan. Woodley and Buchanan are studs. He took Woodley down three times and Buchanan down twice.

Bockman isn't a complete stiff either. He wrestles just about everyone really close.

I'm not worried about his offense but I have been worried about the head-butt thing ever since the first time I saw him do it last year. Worst case scenario: he head-butts someone in the NC and opens up a cut so bad on his opponent that he can’t continue and AJ is disqualified. I’ve thought this every time AJ has done this and it’s now been at least 3 times and I hardly ever get to see the road matches.

I'm not worried about his offense but I have been worried about the head-butt thing ever since the first time I saw him do it last year. Worst case scenario: he head-butts someone in the NC and opens up a cut so bad on his opponent that he can’t continue and AJ is disqualified. I’ve thought this every time AJ has done this and it’s now been at least 3 times and I hardly ever get to see the road matches.
He isn’t head butting that is blast double . Jordan Burroughs hits it almost every match. That call was bull crap.

Reactions: giddyup
nino gave him a pretty good match and he’s looked really solid this year. Also, never write off a dean. I think it’s those three and then everyone else.

no. You’re not wrong. But Dean Is his biggest threat right now and I think size is going to be an issue for him. AJ is a huge 197, Dean is still a 184.

you worry about that with JB?

In the spirit of discussion, here's what would be ideal. AJ improving his offense and turning regular decisions into major decisions, MDs into TFs and most importantly pinning more people. He doesn't hardly pin anyone now despite being way stronger and more athletic than most of his opponents.

this is a fair point. It will be interesting to see if he develops that.

He isn’t head butting that is blast double . Jordan Burroughs hits it almost every match. That call was bull crap.
It doesn't mater what you or I think; this guy called a head-butt, some else could. All it would take was a ref who didn't like AJ's wonderfully outgoing style of banter.

Reactions: oberebo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT