ADVERTISEMENT

Young blood connects

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
My boy got the job done Sunday evening. We had this buck pegged as at least 4.5 and he was clearly dominant over the other bucks on our place. Got him in a good spot, did some rattling. He popped out at 6:45 and immediately fixated on a blow up doe decoy (Ms. November! ha). 208 lbs live weight. Right at 100 yards, with a smoke pole.

22492476411_e51d2d6d23_b.jpg

22034715666_ee06e1173e_k.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: panhndlpoke
Wow...nice shooting as well on that at 100 yards. Impressive for the youngun

Thanks guys.

As you can see in the trail cam photo on 10/1, he was pretty thick in the neck and everywhere else. He was getting a little rutty though. Ran with a doe and her fawn mostly the last 10 days. As recently as Friday, he would tolerate several other bucks around the feeder...so long as he was alone. If there was a doe present, he'd chase the others off. The less mature bucks on our place were still bachelored up as of last weekend.

Interestingly, this deer ran with the one my brother shot last rifle season all summer that year. I believe both were 3.5 last year, but brother's deer had a little bigger body and MUCH bigger rack. We had zero pics of my son's deer in the months between July and late December. He apparently felt comfortable setting up shop with his buddy out of the picture.

Deer are interesting.

I had a nice wide 8 point come up within 5 yards and look up at me in my tree stand. On my hard right side when I was bowhunting weekend before last. I"d have had a shot if it were my hard left. He caught me sitting down. I froze and he looked at me for a long time, but never spooked. Just wandered off after some does. Not a big body but decent rack. Hope he returns next weekend. Excuse me while I go refresh a scrape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT