ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Athlete to Coach Pipeline

SlickWillie2018

Recruit
Jul 16, 2024
Had some random thoughts pop up on my drive into work this morning that I wanted to share with people who are smarter than me.

Is wrestling the only sport where it’s all-time great athletes have consistently transitioned to being great coaches? Dan Gable, John Smith, and Cael Sanderson (and hopefully David Taylor soon) are all on the Mount Rushmore of American wrestling competitors who transitioned to coaching and produced some dominant teams.

I could be entirely wrong, but I don’t think guys like Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Cal Ripken, or **insert your personal GOAT in any sport* could turn a college or professional team in their respective sport into a dynasty in the way those other guys have.

Thinking about that got me wondering why that’s the case, and what are the characteristics that make a great wrestler which also translate to being a great coach. Is it because they have a chance to roll with the guys in the room? Is it because there’s so much more of a mental/mindset component to wrestling than those other sports? I’m not totally sure.

Sorry for the long, maybe rambling, post. Just something for y’all to chew on this fine Thursday afternoon .

Reactions: DPJ
...individual participation and preparation with a constant learning curve which can be transfused to others...personal traits, other than just wrestling techniques, are to be exhibited and followed for success...LEADERSHIP FROM ONE for the many...

Reactions: SlickWillie2018
Since I never wrestled or coached my opinion on what makes a good wrestling coach is just that, an opinion. From what I have observed over the last 65 years is that successful coaches have that innate ability to communicate with their wrestlers. I do not believe it comes down to X's and O's. By the time a wrestler gets to college he has learned 95% of the technique he will use on the mat. When is the last time any have observed a radical change in a wrestler's style? I would have to say NEVER. A successful coach knows how to get into the mind of the individual wrestler and knows how to adapt and teach his wrestling philosophy to each of his charges and knows that it is not a one way or cookie-cutter approach. He has to have the ability to read the personality and motivations of each individual wrestler and adapt that to get the best out of them.

It is my belief that individual sport competitors make coaches because of the trial by fire being shared. I am not sure that is the case in all individual sports, but the ones I'm involved with it surely is!

Take Pole Vaulting for example. I do know some coaches that do a great job that didn't compete. BUT, only a person that has been in those positions can accurately convey those positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT