ADVERTISEMENT

Worst concert you attended

mseabolt

Heisman Candidate
Dec 5, 2005
Let's go ahead and cover all bases

For me - The Cars .. circus 1980.

I went to something called OKC fest for my wife's birthday and it was a bunch of red dirt and bro country. Horrendous.

Easy. George Straight. Friggn horrible. Just stood there.

I can't think of worst concert but the two worst acts I have seen were W.A.S.P. opening up for KISS in 86 at LNC and Pantera opening up for Skid Row at the Myriad in 89.

Both were completely awful in every sense of the word and you could never pay me to see either again.

Dylan was cool to see but sucked in every sense of the word. Sure you respected him and you knew he was greatness but man did he suck on stage.

Def Leppard a few years ago in Tulsa was pretty much auto tune suckage. Heart opened up for them and blew them away.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Aerosmith when they were all on drugs or drunk. It was pitiful.

Lionel Ritchie at the Maybee Center when I was a young teenager. I didn't want to go and was embarrassed even at that age.

Def Leppard a few years ago in Tulsa was pretty much auto tune suckage. Heart opened up for them and blew them away.

Heart is 10x the band Def Lep ever was. I really liked DL before Hysteria, but basically at the point their drummer rolled his Vette, they began to suck giant balls. Live, they tune down and pre-record certain high notes. Lame.

Worst was weird for me, because he was one of my all time favorites. Stevie Ray Vaughn opened for Huey Lewis at the zoo in maybe 83. This was before he got straight. He was so wasted and so bad. Huey was great though.

3 Doors down at GIA in '05 as part of the ESPNU launch. They sucked. Free concert, but they really sucked.

Reactions: poke2001
I really like Chevelle. I've seen them live a couple times and they are awful.

Worst was weird for me, because he was one of my all time favorites. Stevie Ray Vaughn opened for Huey Lewis at the zoo in maybe 83. This was before he got straight. He was so wasted and so bad. Huey was great though.

I saw Huey 3 different times in HS and college. Every show was great (well, I actually drank too much and passed out at one of them, but my friends said it was great). That guy can really entertain and does a great job of interacting with the crowd and making them part of the show.

Worst concert for me was Cheap Trick in the old GIA. I was a huge fan, and there were no name groups coming to Stillwater for performances at the time. I don't know if it was just where I was sitting, but the acoustics were absolutely terrible and there was a significant echo, which caused the music and lyrics to just sound like a bunch of disjointed noise. If your knew their stuff, you could tell what song they were performing, but only barely. It was a mess and was incredibly frustrating.

I saw Merle and Leon Russell at the Muskogee Convention Center about 15 years ago.... I thought it would be cool to see Merle in Muskogee.....Wholly crap did that concert suck! Not because either of the artists suck, but rather the accoustics in the Muskogee Convention Center are horrible. It is an all concrete building and you couldn't hear anything clearly in there because of the echo. It was horrible. I saw Merle at the Brady maybe 6 months later and it was night and day better. Now Leon, well he slurs his words if you ask me on the best of days. So just imagine him in a poor accoustical setting......Horrible....

Word to the wise, avoid concerts at the Muskogee Convention Center.

I don't even know where to start, as I've seen so many shows.

Worst overall: Steel Breeze - opened for The Who @ the Cotton Bowl 1982

Most disappointing: The Cars. I love the band, but they were awful live.

Me too, about '79/'80; just awful. I also saw The Cars in 1981 or 1982 and that wasn't great either

The Cars were never good live

I can't think of worst concert but the two worst acts I have seen were W.A.S.P. opening up for KISS in 86 at LNC and Pantera opening up for Skid Row at the Myriad in 89.

Both were completely awful in every sense of the word and you could never pay me to see either again.

Judging Pantera based on early 1989 would be a mistake, there were in the process to transitioning to a harder, heavier band and away from the glam crap they started out with.

I was there as well. Couldn't believe people were booing Stevie.

Judging Pantera based on early 1989 would be a mistake, there were in the process to transitioning to a harder, heavier band and away from the glam crap they started out with.

Yup. Any tour prior to 1990 (the year Cowboys from Hell was released) probably would be awful. I saw Pantera twice, once in Austin, TX with Sepultura and Prong at the Southpark Meadows in the summer of 1994 and again in Tulsa at the Expo Square Pavilion in 1995 with Type O Negative. They were nothing short of amazing each time.

I'm only going to count shows that I went to of my own free will and volition. I've had to sit through Fleetwood Mac and Lady Gaga for the Mrs. I have two awful shows that really stick out. The Jerry Only-fronted version of the Misfits. Saw them at Cain's in 2007. His vocals are terrible. He seriously needs to hang it up or find a new vocalist.

The second was Danzig at the Brady Theater this last summer. I've seen him on prior occasions and he has been great. This last time, his voice sounds like it is failing him plus security was throwing everyone out that dared to take their phone out.

Last edited:
Reactions: gipraw
I'm only going to count shows that I went to of my own free will and volition. I've had to sit through Fleetwood Mac and Lady Gaga for the Mrs.

Ugh. Thanks a lot. That comment made me remember that the wife dragged me to see Britney Spears in Vegas. That was definitely the worst concert I have ever been to. I didn't list it previously because I think I had successfully repressed the memory. Thanks to you, it all came bubbling back to the surface.

Reactions: gipraw and latimdj
Ugh. Thanks a lot. That comment made me remember that the wife dragged me to see Britney Spears in Vegas. That was definitely the worst concert I have ever been to. I didn't list it previously because I think I had successfully repressed the memory. Thanks to you, it all came bubbling back to the surface.
You have my sincerest sympathies.

I successfully talked my way out of having to sit through Britney Spears when she came to Tulsa a few years ago. I mentioned to my wife that she could get a better seat for what she would've spent on two seats. Diabolical? Yes. But I feel I won that round.

Lady Gaga wasn't so much as bad as awkward being around so many goddamn teenagers.

Reactions: csh and Been Jammin
Hank Williams Jr. in Tulsa around 1985ish. Disappointing...the crowd started getting drunk, Hank must have been drunk...it was time to go.

Molly Hatchet in 1981. We didn't know Donny Joe Brown had left the band and ended up leaving early. No amount of second hand weed smoke even did the trick. ;)

I know it's famous and everything, but do you all consider Cain's to have good acoustics? I've only been to one show there. I'd rather blame the venue than accept that one of my favorite bands sucks live..

Justin Beiber X 2
Jonas Brothers X 2
5 Seconds of Summer
Hannah Montana.....not Miley Cyrus....Hannah fricking Montana

The stuff we will do for our young daughters.....

There are others.....mostly at Frontier City....all Disney Channel "stars" of lesser note than Jonas Bros and Hannah M....but I've forgotten their names (if I ever actually knew them in the first place).

I know it's famous and everything, but do you all consider Cain's to have good acoustics? I've only been to one show there. I'd rather blame the venue than accept that one of my favorite bands sucks live..
Yes. It does.

Justin Beiber X 2
Jonas Brothers X 2
5 Seconds of Summer
Hannah Montana.....not Miley Cyrus....Hannah fricking Montana

The stuff we will do for our young daughters.....
Even the Hansons at Frontier City were a million times better than The Cars

I've only been once and the time I went it didn't sound great. I was in the upstairs part so I just figured it was from being up there.

I definitely don't think it's the venue. I've never heard a bad show there and I've played 4 shows there myself. One of the best stage sounds I've ever experienced, and the sound system is integrated into the room so not much variable there. Maybe the band used their own sound guy and you can blame him!

I was thinking what Mega said. A lot of times the openers have really bad sound and then the headliner sounds great, so I always attributed it to the sound man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT