ADVERTISEMENT

Which vehicle depreciates the slowest?

kjcba8101

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I bought a 1999 F250 4x4 diesel (7.3L) with 200k miles for $10k. I figure it's not going to depreciate much, and it's as reliable as it gets, all things considered.

Anyone else buy a vehicle for this reason? Or looked at doing it? My last 2 vehicles were a 2010 escalade and a 2009 Tahoe (both seem to depreciate quickly), so I'm kind of reversing my trend of owning vehicles that put a hit on my net worth (to that extent)

the older model you buy the less it will depreciate is the general rule of thumb. The trade off is higher maintenance costs so it's pretty much a guess. Of course, the technology...well, in a 99 model there was no technology. Your 99 won't have much of a cliff to fall off of as far as value as those other 2 you bought did. It's tough to buy any car "right" enough to be able to buy, use, and sell/trade and get 90% of your money back over a couple of years, but you will probably come pretty close to it with that 250. Those kind of trucks are probably tougher to sell however...unless it's in good shape.

Purkey-it is in good shape, and it's a 1 owner so I'm as optimistic as can be. I'm trying to save my money and build for the future (when I want to be self employed).

I feel like I can put a decent amount of miles on this truck and get 90% of my money back. I was watching shark tank one night and Cuban was asking a guy what kind of sacrifice he would make to succeed. I guess this is my first step

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. My 2010 has 111,000 miles but is pristine, never had the top off. Trade in value is still listed over 20K, bought new for just over 30K in 2010. I'm actually thinking about trading for a new one. But what's holding me back is the fact I have no car payment right now and have had no issues with this one. Would hate to trade and get a lemon.

Reactions: shortbus
Rulz, that is solid. A guy at the office just bought a sweet 4 door rubicon. I was told those jeeps did that. Nice to hear you did well. How do jeeps do with 100k plus miles?

I read an article, a few months back, that said that the Toyota FJ Cruiser holds its value better than any other vehicle right now. The reason is that they stopped making them in 2014 and they are a great vehicle for people with active/sporting lifestyles. Great for folks who ski, go to the lake/beach, off-road, camping, etc. There are a lot of those people out there, and the number of FJ's is reducing as those that exist get totalled, leave the country, etc.

I'll stick with my '86 944 which turns 30 in early Nov.; 300k+ miles, original engine, and still worth close to 25% of original cost. I think it's called German engineering.

I have a 2012 Dodge Charger that I bought used in Feb of 2014 with 28K miles for $17K. It now has 60K ( I take it on all my road trips so that we do not put miles on the wife's new car). I take really good care of it and have it regularly maintained at the dealership. I had it in for a recall issue last week at the dealership and was on the lot looking at a 2014 Camaro while I was waiting. The salesman came up to me and never even talked about the Camaro. Only talked about my Dodge and said that he would give me $16k trade in value for my car.

Bville what's the driving factor to your car retaining its value-any idea?
I really have no idea what is keeping the resale value propped up on my car. I was kind of assuming that it was because that dealership had done all the regular maintenance on the car and my car is in very very good condition for the year model and it is not one of the top end models. Maybe they can sell it as some sort of dealer certified car.

I think having dealer provided maintenance is a big selling point. I've thought about doing that on my cars, but I'm afraid they would be a bit more expensive. Do you find it pretty reasonably priced?

My ruby has been dealer maintained the whole time, and I keep a book with all the receipts that detail the work done since 2010. I might add I had one recall done for the rotors awhile back. No biggie. I had an oil leak from the oil pan deal that was covered under warranty as well. Those are the only two issues that came to mind since I bought it. After 100,000 miles, it still drives the same, tight steering, no rattles (which may be a component of me never taking the top off), and actually still smells a bit new since I am freak about keeping the interior clean. And no one eats in my jeep lol.

My only complaint about the wrangler is the motor just because it's pretty weak as far as highway driving. But, it has 4.10 gearing and with the lockers engaged and in 4 low, it doesn't matter when off road. I have been in the rock garden at Grand Lake a few times and it's like an electric motor going up hills. I just sit there and it does its thing lol. Crawls up anything that doesn't require monster tires. So the extra horsepower that the new jeeps have is nice on the highway but unnecessary when using it for what it was built for. I have a 53 CJ2A with a 60 horse 4 banger that does the same thing, jeeps traditionally didn't need much under the hood to do what was asked of them.

The other thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the new Rubicon is the wheels. Those things they have on them stock on the lot are atrocious. I would consider getting a 2012 model with the 3.6 Pentastar motor and wheels like mine (5 star rubicon wheels) if I could find one with minimal mileage.

Back to maintenance...I have had my dealer perform everything the Rubicon needed at the recommend intervals...transfer case, tranny, front and rear diffs...everything. If that has saved me some money to get this far, then good deal.

I have heard good things about the FJs. They have always been Toyotas answer to the Wrangler/CJ. I was going to get one for my wife at one time, but since we had my jeep it just seemed superfluous. I think about parts though when I buy a car anymore....I try to do repairs myself, and if I can get parts cheap then it makes it cost effective for me. Just fixed my stepsons Chrysler 300 (the Charger was mentioned above by Bville), those cars have a failure in the transmission lockout mechanism that was the subject of a recall. But, as I found out, Chrysler won't honor that recall with all cars. It's VIN specific. I bought an aluminum piece (20 bucks online) to replace the plastic lockout part and pulled the shifter myself. It's about an hour to fix, but it's worth doing even before the failure, it will leave you stranded unless you have a screwdriver to override lol.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. My 2010 has 111,000 miles but is pristine, never had the top off. Trade in value is still listed over 20K, bought new for just over 30K in 2010. I'm actually thinking about trading for a new one. But what's holding me back is the fact I have no car payment right now and have had no issues with this one. Would hate to trade and get a lemon.

Rulz, just curious, why would you buy a Wrangler and never take the top off?

I think having dealer provided maintenance is a big selling point. I've thought about doing that on my cars, but I'm afraid they would be a bit more expensive. Do you find it pretty reasonably priced?
I think it is pretty reasonably priced. Warranty work is usually covered at no cost, but sometimes there are costs. Always remember that you CAN negotiate. I negotiated a deal with my dealer's service dept. that if I paid for 5 oil changes up front, they would give me a discount on them. Stuff like that.

Rulz, just curious, why would you buy a Wrangler and never take the top off?

It wasn't planned that way lol. Having owned many different CJs, Wranglers, a Scrambler, and having rebuilt several of the ancient CJ2As and 3As (as well as a partial restore on an old MB), I have had plenty of experience with the topless Jeep. What happened was, I didn't have a nice place to store my top, and in the past I have had tops git rect because of being placed on the ground or in the barn without good coverage. So I was always going to get a hoist for my garage so taking the top off would have been a snap....then I got married, bought too much other crap, and put the whole idea on the back burner.

So....I just never did it. If I took it off now, I would have to clear out a space in the garage and whatnot. Too big of a hassle. Until I finally stop buying ammo and guns and other crap, I won't budget for the top hoist...and since I'm to the point I need another safe...it ain't gonna happen anytime soon either lol. But yeah, I was always the guy that said "what in the hell is a top for on a jeep anyway!!??!", now here I am all grown up and I have a 5 year old jeep with the top still firmly in place...

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Really want to surprise my soon to be 16 year old with a 4 door Jeep Wrangler, instead of some shitter car that will teach her humility and appreciation while she learns to drive responsibly, because that's what she wants and well...I have issues.

Anyway, it has to be by far the best make and model on the planet in terms of resale value. It's nuts!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT