ADVERTISEMENT

What're you Drinking Lately?

Been enjoying Lagunitas 12th of Never Ale out of the can just as an evening refresher.

Have kept some Dogfish Head Namaste White in the box to enjoy with a good meal.

Others in the box is O'dells 5 Barrel Pale Ale and Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.

On a side note I recently had a Kona Wailua Wheat on tap(wheat/passion fruit). Not the highest rating on websites but dam I enjoyed it immensely. Maybe it was the dinner, but it was really enjoyable. I will try and find some to keep on hand for the end of a hot day.

Does anyone here think beers with Belgian yeast taste like metal or shit or something awful? It’s a condition some people have, similar to those who thing cilantro tastes like soap. I can’t drink many Belgian beers because of this.

Does anyone here think beers with Belgian yeast taste like metal or shit or something awful? It’s a condition some people have, similar to those who thing cilantro tastes like soap. I can’t drink many Belgian beers because of this.
Ha! No, and I also like cilantro.

Cilantro tastes like soap to me and I love Belgium beer.

Thurman was the one who got me to try The Kimmie, The Yink, & the Holy Gose 4 or so years ago I think. I've never looked back. And that really got me started on all sorts of sour and tart beers.

If you're ever in the Atlanta area, try this beer: http://www.orpheusbrewing.com/beers/atalanta/?ao_confirm.

Plum saison (they use saison yeast, but no that saison-like to my taste buds); tart, but amazingly drinkable and delicious. I wish I could figure out how to get it here.
My local guy only had the Sierra Nevada Otra Vez for Gose. I really enjoyed it. He’s going to bring in some other ones now.

Also tried the Sumpin, Sumpin. Not bad but not my favorite. Probably wouldn’t order another one.

My local guy only had the Sierra Nevada Otra Vez for Gose. I really enjoyed it. He’s going to bring in some other ones now.

Also tried the Sumpin, Sumpin. Not bad but not my favorite. Probably wouldn’t order another one.
My wife likes Otra Vez. I like it OK.

I always enjoy a Sumpin Sumpin but really prefer a Lagunitas Aunt Sally! Good stuff!

All sorts of things really. Lots of Crooked Stave, some Bookers, some Balvenie, and a few Negronis.

One other I'd like to mention is the new Framboise Rose Gose from Anderson Valley. If you loved their original Gose (The Kimmie, the Yink, and the Holy Gose), then you'll likely love this one too. Very similar taste IMO. Slightly more fruit flavor.
1876 Texas Straight Bourbon. Wonderful!

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Does anyone else's tastes vary to season? Winter I drink mostly stouts, dark beers and dark liquors - scotch mostly. Summers are move to saison, gose, sours and ales.

Speaking of gose - I still love the briny melon as a readily accessible option. Got my hands on some gose gone wild last summer. Really good.

PS. Had a really tasty and really big $5 old fashioned at the pony boy bar by tower theatre last night. This is my public service message.

Does anyone else's tastes vary to season? Winter I drink mostly stouts, dark beers and dark liquors - scotch mostly. Summers are move to saison, gose, sours and ales.

Speaking of gose - I still love the briny melon as a readily accessible option. Got my hands on some gose gone wild last summer. Really good.

PS. Had a really tasty and really big $5 old fashioned at the pony boy bar by tower theatre last night. This is my public service message.
Yes and no. I would say they do vary as to how much I might lean towards a particular beer style or drink, but I'll drink a great stout or porter or quad any time of the year.

I love the Briny Melon Gose also.

If you haven't been to the Whiskey Cake location in the OKC metro area, for brunch (or other meal or happy hour), you should, SOON. I have recently been to the one in Katy, TX twice and they mix some damn fine cocktails and have delicious food as well. That's my public service message.

Bought this yesterday and it is nice.

talob.2002.jpg

So any of you Dfw peeps been by total wine and tested some of the Witherspoon? Made be an ex marine in Lewisville. He does three distinct variations. Really enjoyed it and bought a bottle. The scotch guy also talked me into Sheildaig 14. Something I've never seen before.
shieldaig-islay-14-year-old-single-malt-scotch-6.jpg

So any of you Dfw peeps been by total wine and tested some of the Witherspoon? Made be an ex marine in Lewisville. He does three distinct variations. Really enjoyed it and bought a bottle. The scotch guy also talked me into Sheildaig 14. Something I've never seen before.
shieldaig-islay-14-year-old-single-malt-scotch-6.jpg
Unfortunately, I think you'll find that scotch is a brand that is pushed through Total Wine and similar stores. A young guy who used to work for me once bought me a bottle of Grangestone Single Malt Scotch upon the recommendation of a liquor guy at Total WIne. Doesn't mean it isn't any good; the Grangestone is OK; just wasn't anything special.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find that scotch is a brand that is pushed through Total Wine and similar stores. A young guy who used to work for me once bought me a bottle of Grangestone Single Malt Scotch upon the recommendation of a liquor guy at Total WIne. Doesn't mean it isn't any good; the Grangestone is OK; just wasn't anything special.

I'm somewhat prepared for that. Price was right though. Very surprised at prices. Lagavulin 16 was 15 bucks higher than I can get it here. Balvenie double wood was 4 bucks cheaper. Vodka was cheaper on whole, beers are slightly higher. They do have a marvelous selection though.

As another PSA Yuengling is in Arkansas. Adverts everywhere. Even had it on tap in the Hilton garden inn north Little Rock. Can't be long for here, right?

So tell me about this scotch. Smoky? How would you rank it against Aberlour A'bunadh or Auchentoshan Three Wood?

Slight smoke on the palate. More smoke on the nose. Talisker is kind of right in the middle. Subtle smoke and peat with vanilla and fruit. Even the cheap bottles are good drams.

I also got some laphroig triple wood that I've never seen in oklahoma.

Had the Ballast Point Tart Peach Kolsch tonight. Tart is is in the name for a reason. Ok I guess.

Picked up the Moscow Mule Ale. If you like Moscow Mules, get this beer. Tastes just like it.

Had the Ballast Point Tart Peach Kolsch tonight. Tart is is in the name for a reason. Ok I guess.

Picked up the Moscow Mule Ale. If you like Moscow Mules, get this beer. Tastes just like it.
I saw the mule. Don't think I'd like it. I didn't think the tart peach was all that tart at all, but then again I love tart Gose's and sours. I liked it but it's notanything special.

Had the Lagunitas Dark Swan Sour Ale tonight. Solid beer. Really enjoyed it.

Also had Founders Green Zebra watermelon Gose. It’s salty and weird but unique.
We drank the crap out of the Green Zebra last summer. Sometimes I really like it, but sometimes it gets too sweet for me. I thought Dark Swan was just OK when I tried it.

Yeah. Pretty meh. Not garbage but nothing special.

I bought a sixer of alpine duet. Thought it was really good.

So tell me about this scotch. Smoky? How would you rank it against Aberlour A'bunadh or Auchentoshan Three Wood?
Nose is similar to Glenmorangie Signet, some citrus notes, very light smoke. Not as complex as A'bunadh or should I say not quite as alcohol tasting to me. Hard to compare to Three Wood because it was so long ago that I had it.

Nose is similar to Glenmorangie Signet, some citrus notes, very light smoke. Not as complex as A'bunadh or should I say not quite as alcohol tasting to me. Hard to compare to Three Wood because it was so long ago that I had it.
So if you're scroungin up some vittles to pair with it, how's it go with say, fried catfish and hushpuppies or maybe chicken livers?

Holy moly. I'm not paying 600 for a bottle of angel tears, but I confess I'd love a taste of that.
That's a lot. I've never spent anywhere near that. I think around $85 is the most I've ever spent on a dram.

Jameson also has a new 18 year old cask strength that goes for $275-300.

That's a lot. I've never spent anywhere near that. I think around $85 is the most I've ever spent on a dram.

Jameson also has a new 18 year old cask strength that goes for $275-300.

I have a coworker that's filthy rich, my company bought his and he stayed on. He told me he'd just paid over three grand for a bottle of 76 lagavulin 30.

Someday ....

Last edited:
Avery Brewing El Gose is probably the best gose I’ve had so far.

Really? I didn't care for it much.
I'm fairly new to this style and it's proving difficult to find. I've had SN Otra Vez, Boulevard Hibiscus Gose (gross), Founders Green Zebra (pretty good), and this one. I liked this one the most. I had it after mowing the lawn. I was hot and it was ice cold. It's pretty sour, no sweetness at all, perfect amount of lime flavor, and slight salt. That checked all my boxes.

Recently had Elk Valley Cucumber Saison and thought it was pretty good too.

We had a mini Whiskey Fest at my house this past weekend. Here is a photo of what everyone brought.

Reactions: mseabolt
Try to find any of the Anderson Valley Gose’s, although I’m not super fond of the blood orange. The original, which is tart and has a berry character, but doesn’t actually have any added fruit, is called The Kimmie, The Yink, and The Holy Gose. It’s probably my favorite still. But they have a new Rose raspberry flavor, a G&T flavor, and a Briny Melon which are all excellent.

Dogfish Head Sea Quench is another and is similar to the AV G&T.

Evil Twin Mission Gose is also quite good.

I like the Green Zebra you mentioned if I’m in the mood. It tends to be a little sweet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT