ADVERTISEMENT

What makes a person racist?

what a load 07...man what has happened to you? Grey area really, from a sci-fi character to a comparison to that thing in the WH being called Chewbacca or a wookie being racist because it possible resembles a gorilla. I personally could care freakin less if someone thinks I'm racist or not because I call her a wookie......especially by one of you educated and sophisticated liberal types, oh one of the liberal types that is so opposed to name calling but use the term "tea bagger." Anything to try to shut people up really thats all this little contest has become. I'll respect people who deserve repect and that cuts across all boundaries of race, religion and party.

Have you seen the new ad campaign by the Utah dems against Mia Love? Is is politics or racist? Please come back to me with the answer.

This world has gotten so ultra sensitive it is scary....expect the phones now to ask not only what language you wish the message to be in but "please press the corresponding key for the number of times you been offended today."

The sad thing about the whole "racist" card being played constantly is there are truely times when someone is treated poorly because of race and soon their cries will fall on mostly deaf earsbecause everyone (with the exception of Al, Jessie and a few others) will be sick of hearing it.

Remember school kids never take your health advice from an overweight man who pretends to be a women through attire and hormone treatments.......

Originally posted by mseabolt:
Is "Cankles" racist?
It would fall under misogyny I believe. Which I'm sure would be an equally enlightening thread on this board.

The "tea bagger" reference does have homophobic undertones...but that's ok bc it's coming from the left.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by squeak:
The "tea bagger" reference does have homophobic undertones...but that's ok bc it's coming from the left.
I don't use tea bagger because it is juvenile, but if I did use it and some one told me it was demeaning to homosexuals I would quit using it rather than argue, call people sensitive and generally double down on my ignorance. I recomend this strategy of at least pretending to value the opinions and feelings of others to all my avowed nonracist friends.

Originally posted by 07pilt:

Originally posted by PDT816:

But what you gave me is a circular argument. It's racist because only a racist would make it.
It would be circular if I didn't go on to explain why only a racist would say it. I'll summarize again: only a racist would risk being dehumanizing and racially offensive by comparing a black person to a fictional ape like character given our country's history. It may not be explicitly black and white (colors not races in this context) by the book racism because of several loopholes that we have both mentioned, but it is definitely in a grey area and only a racist would play in a grey area just to gain the benefit of comparing the first lady to a sci-fi movie character.
Still a circular argument. The only thing that matters is whether the comparison is racist, if it's not, everything you keep promoting falls apart.

The only litmus test here is whether the comparison is based Michelle Obama being black. If the focus of the comparison isn't on blacks being inferior, or less than human, it's not racist. Not as much gray area you think. If the comparison is based on her style choices and unpolished behavior; the color of her skin really isn't part of the equation. In this case...

Non-racist can indeed make the comparison.

The similarities between a fictional character and the dark history of proganda dehumanizing blacks is nothing more than trivial coincidence. It's the same thing as calling John Kerry a horse face. Mean spirited, but not racist.

Again, the slam dunk here would be if wookie or Chewbacca was used even in a limited capacity towards OTHER blacks. If it's a one-off comparison, it's almost certainly not racist.

Originally posted by windriverrange:

what a load 07...man what has happened to you? Grey area really, from a sci-fi character to a comparison to that thing in the WH being called Chewbacca or a wookie being racist because it possible resembles a gorilla. I personally could care freakin less if someone thinks I'm racist or not because I call her a wookie......especially by one of you educated and sophisticated liberal types, oh one of the liberal types that is so opposed to name calling but use the term "tea bagger." Anything to try to shut people up really thats all this little contest has become. I'll respect people who deserve repect and that cuts across all boundaries of race, religion and party.
If you care more about making Michelle Obama Star Wars comparisons than the dehumanizing history that dredges up for people then I have some bad news for you.

There is just no value in going there. It isn't worth the possible harm, and by using it anyway you are saying that you don't care about the people it could possibly harm. Calling someone a wookie doesn't advance your policy agenda, it isn't political speech it is an insult. I know you know plenty of insults for Michelle (what about her underbite? I mean get an orthodontist. Am I right?) that aren't racially hurtful, so why not retire the wookie comparison?

Have you seen the new ad campaign by the Utah dems against Mia Love? Is is politics or racist? Please come back to me with the answer.
No haven't seen it. I did a quick google search and I couldn't find anything any anti Love ads. Can you link me? I have no problem calling Democrats racist (Harry Reid) and there are plenty of republicans who aren't (Charles Johnson, Michael Steele, Josh Barro).

This world has gotten so ultra sensitive it is scary....expect the phones now to ask not only what language you wish the message to be in but "please press the corresponding key for the number of times you been offended today."

The sad thing about the whole "racist" card being played constantly is there are truely times when someone is treated poorly because of race and soon their cries will fall on mostly deaf earsbecause everyone (with the exception of Al, Jessie and a few others) will be sick of hearing it.
This is all really easy for a white person to say. What would you consider truly racist besides Obama and Holder? Is there any rhetoric from the right that you consider racist?

Remember school kids never take your health advice from an overweight man who pretends to be a women through attire and hormone treatments.......
See! I knew you could do it. Maybe a little sexist, but not a trace of racism. Progress! Wasn't that easy?

Still a circular argument. The only thing that matters is whether the comparison is racist, if it's not, everything you keep promoting falls apart.
Only a racist would compare a black person to a wookie (Which is supported above). By definition anything that only a racist would do is racist (this is a tautological). Therefore calling a black person a wookie is racist. That is a straight line argument. A circular argument would be "it is racist because only a racist would say it and only a racist would say it because it is racist/"

The only litmus test here is whether the comparison is based Michelle Obama being black. If the focus of the comparison isn't on blacks being inferior, or less than human, it's not racist. Not as much gray area you think. If the comparison is based on her style choices and unpolished behavior; the color of her skin really isn't part of the equation. In this case...
That isn't a good litmus test. You could make all the same defenses for calling her an ape or a gorilla, but I think we can agree that calling her an ape or a gorilla is racist.

The similarities between a fictional character and the dark history of proganda dehumanizing blacks is nothing more than trivial coincidence. It's the same thing as calling John Kerry a horse face. Mean spirited, but not racist.
As coincidental as it may be, you can't ignore that coincidence exists. You can't make the comparison outside of the historical context. If there was a long history of keeping white people down that included comparing them to mules or zebras, then I think calling John Kerry a horse face would be crossing the line. Once again the only person who would risk the link between ape/gorilla and wookie for the sake of a stupid mean spirited insult is a racist. There is absolutely nothing gained by calling her a wookie and there is a lot of history that you risk running into. Completely different story if there was something positive to be gained. Lets hypothetically say that wookieheaded meant very precisely "massive government overreach that is a payoff to insurance companies," then calling obamacare wookieheaded wouldn't be racist because it serves and actual political speech purpose.

Again, the slam dunk here would be if wookie or Chewbacca was used even in a limited capacity towards OTHER blacks. If it's a one-off comparison, it's almost certainly not racist.
See if you can spot wookie on this list of racial slurs . Slam Dunk?

So it's okay to portray a White guy, say like Bush, as a monkey, but no one else? So these liberal cartoonists and liberals who thought it was funny must be racist.

I don't use tea bagger because it is juvenile, but if I did use it and some one told me it was demeaning to homosexuals I would quit using it rather than argue, call people sensitive and generally double down on my ignorance. I recomend this strategy of at least pretending to value the opinions and feelings of others to all my avowed nonracist friends.

I actually agree mostly with what you're saying. However, freedom of speech/thought is more important than trying to rid the world of racism, so I stay concerned about people pushing the race card too far. Like wookie, I found chewbaca to be smart, strong, and loyal. It never dawned on me that it could be racist til someone said a wookie is an ape-like creature. So maybe it is. Today it's this, tomorrow I can't fly the oklahoma flag because it represents oppression of native Americans.

Like wookie, I found chewbaca to be smart, strong, and loyal. It never dawned on me that it could be racist til someone said a wookie is an ape-like creature.

So you thought when he repeatedly referred to FLOTUS as a wookie, it was a compliment. Alrighty then.

Sys I did not think of it as a compliment, I thought he was saying she was ugly and manly. I too find her unattractive and manly...like Barbara Bush. Of course I never really put much thought into bc I couldn't care much less.

D.C. Public Schools homework assignment asks 6th graders to compare Bush to Hitler....sure this will outrage the board libs right? What would this be classified as?

I'm all against racism but f*ck your feelings. People are ignorant assholes. You can't control what people say. All you can do is control how you respond.
Thread ended right here. Couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by long-duc-dong:

I'm all against racism but f*ck your feelings. People are ignorant assholes. You can't control what people say. All you can do is control how you respond.
Thread ended right here. Couldn't agree more.
And if how you respond to this is to try to have people stop being ignorant racist assholes? Or is that not a valid response?

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
Is it ok if I refer to Janet Reno as a Wookie? Isn't it a little bit racist to make the connection between MO and a Wookie as racially similar?
It wouldn't be a racism thread without a he who smelt it dealt it comment from mega.

Seeing the 9/11 crap this morning I guess makes me a racist. Still pisses me off to no end. I am not a big muslim fan.

Is it ok if I refer to Janet Reno as a Wookie? Isn't it a little bit racist to make the connection between MO and a Wookie as racially similar?

It wouldn't be a racism thread without a he who smelt it dealt it comment from mega.
Which doesn't make his point any less relevant, or your inability to mitigate the point any less noticeable. What's with addressing mega in the 3rd person when you're responding directly to him? Is that an attempt to belittle?

When responding to PDT, you very clearly defined that there is gray area. You went a step further stating that the onus is on the "offender" to be knowledgeable of and sympathetic towards an aggrieved party when entering, lest they reveal themselves racist (or presumably sexist, bigoted, whatever, depending on the offended class). Any reasonable person can see that gray areas exist. The fact that the depth and breadth of said gray areas is almost entirely dictated by the perception and feeling of an aggrieved party, and its enablers, must be noted. This fact makes the gray area fluid and somewhat definable by nature.

I don't know if you are in the camp of the legitimately aggrieved, or if you're an enabler, but society, in general needs to grow up. I'll explain....

I have no doubt that gray areas exist; any reasonable person can see that they do. Where I believe you're dead wrong, to the detriment of society moving forward, is trying to discern where an "offender" (in your eyes) is coming from once the gray area is entered. It provides you a powerful tool to leverage in accomplishing any number of your goals, politically, the creation of a perception of superiority, whatever. There is no check and balance to any assignment of meaning that you assert, and again, it provides people like you the ability to play upon the tribalistic tendencies of man.

I find your position both indefensible and, for a seemingly sharp guy like yourself, smarmy as can be. It's weak and lazy. I'd suggest, instead of calling people racist because you annointed yourself policeman of the gray area and all-seer of a person's true intention, that you use that brain of yours, that seems to be equipped to perform well at math, to quantify and build a case, using multiple data points, for a person being racist... instead of relying on such a weak-stick perpetuation of what you're doing.

I've been watching this thread a while, mainly because I wanted to see what you and sys betray about the way you think. You blossomed as I though you might. I'll provide why I don't find the wookie remark to be racist. Before the 2008 election, when the interwebs was full of mud slinging, and people being people snark, remark, observe, and submit, from any number of beliefs, positions or simple observation of what's going on before them, a pretty remarkable picture of a scowling Michelle was juxtaposed beside Chewbacca on a website "so and so looks just like." If it wasn't that website, there are others. These things aren't uncommon, and you can find them for nearly anybody. You are aware of this. I personally think the scowl and the helmet hairstyle that she so frequently rocks is what drew the comparison. Anybody with a modicum of desire to do their due diligence would know these things....but that would remove a tool from the hands of those who have the desire and motivation to use them...which ultimately, to me, is a reflection on your character.

CB your well thought out and lucid argument reminded me of a movie line...

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Taggart: God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore

Not sure I get what you are saying... let's ask W.

bush-chimp-again.jpg

Well... that's awkward. It's almost as if the physical similarity of his face to that of an actual great ape (you know, instead of a fictional intergalactic pilot/smuggler/alien which is arguably as smart or smarter than his human crewmate) became an unstoppable internet meme for most of his presidency.

bush-chimp.jpg

Yes... it's almost as if the internet is just full of assholes - some of whom, are definitely racists. But basically you can just count on the internet for dick jokes and jumping on a disrespectful meme and running with it until it's out of style.

BushChimpWithRocket.jpg

I mean... page one google search of "Bush chimp" turns up literally dozens...

GeorgeWBushBushOrChimp3.Gif

and dozens...

list_2_12_20101110_093413_296.png

and dozens...

bush-chimp-pray1.jpg

and dozens of unflattering chimp related comparisons and bad photoshop...

bush-chimp1.jpg

And I bet that many of the high minded progressives of the world saw these and laughed at poor old Dumbya.

h95DB1F68

ba ha ha ha! You silly chimp-man! I feel smarter than you because you look like a chimp! Get it? A CHIMP!

In fact, they are kinda funny. The difference is that nobody looked at those and thought, well... shit that's kind of racist. But if you make the target of your comparison Michelle Obama and a sentient alien who happens to resemble Bigfoot, what kind of person makes the leap that the inference is racist?

Closet racists. That's who. If you make a mental connection between Michelle Obama's blackness and a Wookie, I guess... as being some kind of big monkey, guess what? You just had a super racist cognition.

Now, having said that - The Michelle Obama / wookie thing isn't very funny. It's just dumb and I am not defending it as art or comedy, I'm just using it as an example of how hypocritical it is to make fun of Dubya in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY and then cry racism when it's poor defenseless Michelle Obama that is the victim of a re-tread internet meme that's already been done. You also have to anticipate that the comparison WILL be used as an example of racism by someone, so why bother?

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is that syskatine is a chimp.

Originally posted by CBradSmith:

Which doesn't make his point any less relevant, or your inability to mitigate the point any less noticeable. What's with addressing mega in the 3rd person when you're responding directly to him? Is that an attempt to belittle?
The point couldn't be less relevant. It doesn't make prima facie sense. And yes I am belittling him for injecting the PeeWee Herman mentality into a serious issue. Sorry to disappoint you so much.

When responding to PDT, you very clearly defined that there is gray area. You went a step further stating that the onus is on the "offender" to be knowledgeable of and sympathetic towards an aggrieved party when entering, lest they reveal themselves racist (or presumably sexist, bigoted, whatever, depending on the offended class). Any reasonable person can see that gray areas exist. The fact that the depth and breadth of said gray areas is almost entirely dictated by the perception and feeling of an aggrieved party, and its enablers, must be noted. This fact makes the gray area fluid and somewhat definable by nature.

I don't know if you are in the camp of the legitimately aggrieved, or if you're an enabler, but society, in general needs to grow up. I'll explain....

I have no doubt that gray areas exist; any reasonable person can see that they do. Where I believe you're dead wrong, to the detriment of society moving forward, is trying to discern where an "offender" (in your eyes) is coming from once the gray area is entered. It provides you a powerful tool to leverage in accomplishing any number of your goals, politically, the creation of a perception of superiority, whatever. There is no check and balance to any assignment of meaning that you assert, and again, it provides people like you the ability to play upon the tribalistic tendencies of man.
You will have to forgive me for having difficulty in parsing this word salad. Once again sorry to disappoint you so.

"you very clearly defined that there is gray area." Gray areas can't clearly be defined that's what makes them grey. "when entering," when entering what? Who do you suggest gets to determine the gray area? I nominate Headhunter. This dilemma is just part of the human condition. I don't curse in front of my grandmother, and I respect her decision on what cursing is. It is just being courteous.

"Where I believe you're dead wrong, to the detriment of society moving forward, is trying to discern where an "offender" (in your eyes) is coming from once the gray area is entered." This is the exact opposite of what I am doing. I am saying that the intent is not important, but the effect is. "It provides you a powerful tool to leverage in accomplishing any number of your goals, politically, the creation of a perception of superiority, whatever. There is no check and balance to any assignment of meaning that you assert, and again, it provides people like you the ability to play upon the tribalistic tendencies of man." Yes there is a check and balance to what I assert. All the nonracists on here have no problem checking me. The check and balance is the believability of what I assert. I don't have some kind of almighty power that allows my to declare things and they become automatically true.

I find your position both indefensible and, for a seemingly sharp guy like yourself, smarmy as can be. It's weak and lazy. I'd suggest, instead of calling people racist because you annointed yourself policeman of the gray area and all-seer of a person's true intention, that you use that brain of yours, that seems to be equipped to perform well at math, to quantify and build a case, using multiple data points, for a person being racist... instead of relying on such a weak-stick perpetuation of what you're doing.
You are breaking my heart here CBradSmith. I would never want some one who thinks I am good at math and uses the phrase "weak-stick perpetuation" to think I am smarmy. Feel free to go back and read my posts, I have built a case, and throughout this entire diatribe of yours you haven't even begun to address it. It is simple, the only person who weighs the pros and cons of comparing a black person to a wookie and decides that the pros win out is a racist. build your case. give an honest accounting of the pros and cons in such a way that the pros win out. Try it.

I've been watching this thread a while, mainly because I wanted to see what you and sys betray about the way you think. You blossomed as I though you might. I'll provide why I don't find the wookie remark to be racist. Before the 2008 election, when the interwebs was full of mud slinging, and people being people snark, remark, observe, and submit, from any number of beliefs, positions or simple observation of what's going on before them, a pretty remarkable picture of a scowling Michelle was juxtaposed beside Chewbacca on a website "so and so looks just like." If it wasn't that website, there are others. These things aren't uncommon, and you can find them for nearly anybody. You are aware of this. I personally think the scowl and the helmet hairstyle that she so frequently rocks is what drew the comparison. Anybody with a modicum of desire to do their due diligence would know these things....but that would remove a tool from the hands of those who have the desire and motivation to use them...which ultimately, to me, is a reflection on your character.
I don't know what Sys and I would do with out your careful monitoring and you helpful posts putting us back in line. So you think it is not racist, because you deem it to be a particularly accurate comparison? Well in that case I guess you are right. Here I was thinking the main reason it was racist, as you can tell from my previous posts, was that I didn't think the comparison was all that apt. Also please elaborate what tool it is I am using and for what ends? Seriously, why would I care at all what you think about my character? The scolding tone only works when it come from some one who once in a while agrees with you or stands up for you.

And yes I am belittling him for injecting the PeeWee Herman mentality into a serious issue. Sorry to disappoint you so much.

PeeWee Herman mentality?

That's an odd deflection. I didn't consider myself belittled by your reply, so i guess... try again?

Speaking of trying again, let me try explaining what I thought were self-evident questions that you tried to turn into a fart joke.

1. "Is it ok if I refer to Janet Reno as a Wookie?" You know... because she's also mannish, ugly and tall. I asked this because the obvious answer is "Sure, who cares?" - as evidenced by the obvious fact that progressives can compare W to a chimp for 8 years with absolutely (and correctly) no cries of racism.

Therefore... there must be some racial factor brought into this by people who have an issue with the Obama/Wookie meme that probably didn't originally exist - at least not intentionaly. If two people see the same dumb wookie meme and one sees the exact same meme that was used with Bush - that physical characteristics of that individual immensely powerful celebrity person are vaguely similar to those of a fictional alien "bigfoot" looking character from the most popular Sci Fi movie in the world. And the other sees a "black woman and a monkey" being compared, seriously... you think the first person is the racist?

That questions set up my second question.

2. "Isn't it a little bit racist to make the connection between MO and a Wookie as racially similar?"
It was and remains a serious question. If you see Bush and a chimp, you think it's just harmless fun - lampooning a public figure's chimp like features. But if you see Michelle and a wookie, it's on you if you make the connection suggesting she's some sub-human primate. Now.... Sexist? Misogynist? Sure, because it reduces her to her looks, much like the also not-racist horse face analogies with Sarah Jessica Parker.

061.jpg
That's Racist!

But again the wookie meme, while mean-spirited (like the W/chimp or Parker/horse) is just... mean, not racist. You have to connect the dots yourself to make it so, and that reflects on you, IMO.

I'm not saying you are a wookie hating racist, but I'm not saying you aren't.

While past results don't guarantee future returns, past results can be used as a pretty decent estimate of future behavior.

That said, you didn't disappoint me pilt. Well, maybe mildly.

The only thing I wanted to do with my post is demonstrate why you are incorrect in your thinking, show why your thinking is smarmy, and present a case why it's a detriment to society becoming better than it is. What I wrote wasn't comprehensive or as well laid out as it could have been, but it'll suffice. The audience of free thinkers saw enough.

Suffice it to say that on this matter I feel you are dangerous and exercise base, reactive thinking. The danger lies in the fact that you label those that go against how you feel about the topic, believing that you possess a superior knowledge. I contend that you don't. You admitted as much above, yet you persist with labeling people.

We are enemies on this, and in the future when I see you doing this again, I'll most likely make another effort to discredit you. Your view needs to be challenged if society is to move forward.

*This challenge does not extend to other topics, where I feel you do add to the conversation.

**You need to get around to addressing Mega as he's asking legit questions that shoe-horn in with an alternative way of thinking about this topic. Hopefully he'll get the more thoughtful version of you.

PeeWee Herman mentality?
That's an odd deflection. I didn't consider myself belittled by your reply, so i guess... try again?
Speaking of trying again, let me try explaining what I thought were self-evident questions that you tried to turn into a fart joke.
PeeWee Herman as in, "I know you are but what am I. "

Clearly referring to you in third person is not an actual attempt to belittle you, but bradsmith is sensitive to these things.

1. "Is it ok if I refer to Janet Reno as a Wookie?" You know... because she's also mannish, ugly and tall. I asked this because the obvious answer is "Sure, who cares?" - as evidenced by the obvious fact that progressives can compare W to a chimp for 8 years with absolutely (and correctly) no cries of racism.

Therefore... there must be some racial factor brought into this by people who have an issue with the Obama/Wookie meme that probably didn't originally exist - at least not intentionaly. If two people see the same dumb wookie meme and one sees the exact same meme that was used with Bush - that physical characteristics of that individual immensely powerful celebrity person are vaguely similar to those of a fictional alien "bigfoot" looking character from the most popular Sci Fi movie in the world. And the other sees a "black woman and a monkey" being compared, seriously... you think the first person is the racist?

That questions set up my second question.
This is why I can't take you seriously make your comments into a fart joke. Your entire premise hinges on you willfully ignoring that dehumanization was tool used to justify the enslavement, disenfranchisement and general poor treatment of black people. If George Bush or Janet Reno's great great grandfather had been sold like livestock in the last 200 years maybe bringing them up makes sense. Brilliant argument though in a magical world that has no history.

2. "Isn't it a little bit racist to make the connection between MO and a Wookie as racially similar?"
It was and remains a serious question. If you see Bush and a chimp, you think it's just harmless fun - lampooning a public figure's chimp like features. But if you see Michelle and a wookie, it's on you if you make the connection suggesting she's some sub-human primate. Now.... Sexist? Misogynist? Sure, because it reduces her to her looks, much like the also not-racist horse face analogies with Sarah Jessica Parker.
That is only a serious question in a world where black people aren't demeaned to this day as monkey, apes, gorillas. But as it stands people who think comparing black people to wookies is racist aren't the ones who invented comparing black people to subhuman primates, they just noticed another instance of it and called it out.

The only thing I wanted to do with my post is demonstrate why you are incorrect in your thinking, show why your thinking is smarmy, and present a case why it's a detriment to society becoming better than it is. What I wrote wasn't comprehensive or as well laid out as it could have been, but it'll suffice. The audience of free thinkers saw enough.

Suffice it to say that on this matter I feel you are dangerous and exercise base, reactive thinking. The danger lies in the fact that you label those that go against how you feel about the topic, believing that you possess a superior knowledge. I contend that you don't. You admitted as much above, yet you persist with labeling people.
This is nonsensical. You didn't demonstrate anything. You failed to address anything I have said. Literally your whole argument can be distilled to you being sad I called people racist. Is it ever OK to call someone racist? If so when? What is the difference between that situation and this situation? Just that you disagree with the assessment? Well great that's how this thing called having an opinion works.

Keep in mind I am not calling people who disagree with me racist. I am calling people who say things that I find racist, racist.

Seriously, either address my arguments on why it is racist or shut up and quit whining.

This is why I can't take you seriously make your comments into a fart joke. Your entire premise hinges on you willfully ignoring that dehumanization was tool used to justify the enslavement, disenfranchisement and general poor treatment of black people. If George Bush or Janet Reno's great great grandfather had been sold like livestock in the last 200 years maybe bringing them up makes sense. Brilliant argument though in a magical world that has no history.

Know what? My stepdaughter has been asked out by a boy at school who happens to be black. She's a pretty white girl at a suburban hight school. In my day (1988), a white girl considering a date with a black boy would be something that really made people tap the brakes. Now, the only question was, is he a good kid? And the answer I've gotten from everyone is yes.

My point of that is not that we are now safely in a post-racial world because it's not a big deal that she's considering a first date with a kid who is black, it's that his blackness wasn't discussed as anything more than a physical characteristic like being blonde. ie. "He's that black kid that returns kicks on the football team. Oh, yeah, I know him." But that's a scenario that would've been very different in my generation and probably unthinkable in the one before mine.

So what I am saying is that eventually things DO in fact, change - if given a chance. But protecting a black person (who happens to be the wife of the president of the freakin United States and needs no protection from you at all - that's a powerful woman even if you don't like her) from dumb internet satire in no way advances us towards a true post-racial society. Not until you see a dumb meme of Michelle Obama and Chewbacca and realize that the similarity is that both are tall and grumpy looking - not that both are primates - will we get where we need to go.

I'm very serious here. It's not about a magical place with no history. It's not about being color blind. It's not about righting the wrongs of previous and now dead generations. It's about not giving a shit about someone's race. If I give special racial consideration to Michelle Obama's dumb wookie meme, I'm enabling racism to exist by giving it power, and so are you.

[/QUOTE]That is only a serious question in a world where black people aren't demeaned to this day as monkey, apes, gorillas. But as it stands people who think comparing black people to wookies is racist aren't the ones who invented comparing black people to subhuman primates, they just noticed another instance of it and called it out. [/B]

How culturally relevant is it at this point to call a black man an ape? When I was a kid, older relatives thought nothing of casually using the N word just because culturally it was OK. Now, just try using it in virtually any environment and see how quickly you get shunned by shocked and embarrassed friends. It's ridiculous to suggest this is still current state of being for people in this country.

Congratulations on calling out wookie-ism. Turn the page. This is not 1968 Mississippi. It's a very different world now with no ties to previous generations' views on homosexuality, race etc. Racism does and always will exist, but if you'll quit looking for it so damn hard you might just find that it's been effectively neutered and that trend will only continue as today's high-schoolers become tomorrow's managers, bosses and business owners.

My kids and their friends have no real concept of racism or homophobia. That's a massive shift from the history lesson you are wasting my time with.

Mega you're on fire!

Martin Luther King: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character".

Why do so many liberals and others base everything on skin color. Why not talk about their character. I have a black brother in law, he is a great guy, succesful and funny as hell, he and my sister have been married 26 years. It was an issue at first with many in my large family but now that everone knows him and can see how happy he and my sister are he's one of the favorites in the family.

Get over the race crap.

Know what? My stepdaughter has been asked out by a boy at school who happens to be black. She's a pretty white girl at a suburban hight school. In my day (1988), a white girl considering a date with a black boy would be something that really made people tap the brakes. Now, the only question was, is he a good kid? And the answer I've gotten from everyone is yes.

My point of that is not that we are now safely in a post-racial world because it's not a big deal that she's considering a first date with a kid who is black, it's that his blackness wasn't discussed as anything more than a physical characteristic like being blonde. ie. "He's that black kid that returns kicks on the football team. Oh, yeah, I know him." But that's a scenario that would've been very different in my generation and probably unthinkable in the one before mine.
To summarize, we should quit calling racist things racist, because people are less racist than they were before.

So what I am saying is that eventually things DO in fact, change - if given a chance. But protecting a black person (who happens to be the wife of the president of the freakin United States and needs no protection from you at all - that's a powerful woman even if you don't like her) from dumb internet satire in no way advances us towards a true post-racial society. Not until you see a dumb meme of Michelle Obama and Chewbacca and realize that the similarity is that both are tall and grumpy looking - not that both are primates - will we get where we need to go.
Its not about protecting MO its about whether it is worth making even a single person feel like less human or less welcome here based upon their race in order to make a stupid insult, when there are thousands of racially neutral insults available. You are getting cause and effect mixed up here. In a post racial society we can compare anyone to wookies, but comparing anyone to wookies in no way moves us towards a post racial society.

I'm very serious here. It's not about a magical place with no history. It's not about being color blind. It's not about righting the wrongs of previous and now dead generations. It's about not giving a shit about someone's race. If I give special racial consideration to Michelle Obama's dumb wookie meme, I'm enabling racism to exist by giving it power, and so are you.
[/QUOTE] I am sure it is much easier for you to not give a shit about race, than it is for someone that no one in your family would date a generation ago or someone who's father was lynched. Noticing racist things and calling them racist isn't what gives them power, its their capacity to demean, exclude and remind people of their place in this country's racial hierarchy.

How culturally relevant is it at this point to call a black man an ape? When I was a kid, older relatives thought nothing of casually using the N word just because culturally it was OK. Now, just try using it in virtually any environment and see how quickly you get shunned by shocked and embarrassed friends. It's ridiculous to suggest this is still current state of being for people in this country.
Where on earth do you live where you don't encounter casual racism? You don't have facebook/read comments on news articles? Also I am sure we got to this point by people ignoring the N word and pretending like it wasn't racist to call people apes.

Congratulations on calling out wookie-ism. Turn the page. This is not 1968 Mississippi. It's a very different world now with no ties to previous generations' views on homosexuality, race etc. Racism does and always will exist, but if you'll quit looking for it so damn hard you might just find that it's been effectively neutered and that trend will only continue as today's high-schoolers become tomorrow's managers, bosses and business owners.
1968 was less than 50 years ago. People that dealt with that are still alive today. I am sure the people who are disproportionately targeted for drug offenses, or the people making $20K less than the median household will be happy to hear that racism is neutered once and for all.

Your thesis is that we are getting less racist so we should quit being vigilant about racism. Makes total sense.

Originally posted by Headhunter:

Mega you're on fire!

Martin Luther King: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character".
roll.r191677.gif

From the boards greatest defender of racial profiling.

Also the content of your character is shit if making a stupid insult is worth making some one feel demeaned based on their race.

... what kind of person makes the leap that the inference is racist?

Closet racists. That's who. If you make a mental connection between Michelle Obama's blackness and a Wookie, I guess... as being some kind of big monkey, guess what? You just had a super racist cognition.
Do you really believe this or were you just on a roll and went with it?

Originally posted by Headhunter:

Mega you're on fire!

roll.r191677.gif

From the boards greatest defender of racial profiling.

Also the content of your character is shit if making a stupid insult is worth making some one feel demeaned based on their race.
No you're the racial profiler I'm just not afraid to call a criminal a criminal no matter their skin color. What ever their circumtances, getto, poverty, it doesn't matter if you are a thug I'm going to call you a thug. You on the other hand are willing to over look bad behavior based on their skin color.

This post was edited on 9/12 8:49 AM by Headhunter

07, I'm going to go ahead and reply - because for some reason I don't think you are quite the intractable, stubborn ideologue most political posters on this board are. I really am not interested in coming back over and over again to restate the same points that I'm pretty sure I've already made clear to everyone, so if the next reply from you is to be intentionally obtuse and misstate my points back to me, I'm out. You win.

To summarize, we should quit calling racist things racist, because people are less racist than they were before.

No. We should stop looking for racism where it doesn't exist or where it only subjectively exists. If you sit and look at clouds all day, you'll see shapes of things that you are looking for. Same thing. If you want to find racism, you'll find it - whether you've misidentified it or not. Sometimes, people are just being dicks. We have a long history of being rebellious and disrespectful to the ruling regime in this country. Are the Obamas so special that they don't deserve the same treatment that all of their white predecessors got? Of course people are going to be dicks to them just like they were to W. That's not necessarily being racist. It might be in some cases, but so what? Racism is on the decline as a relevant thing, and it's decline is slowed by all the pink elephants we call racism.

Its not about protecting MO its about whether it is worth making even a single person feel like less human or less welcome here based upon their race in order to make a stupid insult, when there are thousands of racially neutral insults available.

I think comparing anyone - regardless of motive - to an animal is purposely dehumanizing. Why is race an element that amplifies that? Let me state again - the wookie meme is stupid and disrespectful to her as a woman on it's own merit. Adding a racial element to that is subjective to the viewer.

The first time I saw the meme, I did not connect the dots to think of it as racist. I can see how the thought would cross someone's mind, but again, it requires that person to think about comparing humans (specifically black people) to apes - and then to somehow conclude that a wookie is an ape - which is really where this becomes a stretch because Wookies aren't apes. Jesus Christ people...

The only wookie we know is a fictional Star Wars character who is a highly intelligent alien being who can fix anything, fly the Millennium Falcon and is a business partner of Han Solo. of the two, Chewie always seems to be the one with his shit together, so it takes a massive leap to conclude that comparing her to a wookie is racist. Like it not, making that connection reflects on the person who made the connection. Again however, it was a dumb meme to begin with.

Let's get away from wookies for a second. How about the equally nonexistent Grinch? Is this meme racist?

grinch-totally-looks-like-michelle-obama.jpg

Personally I think it's a much better comic fit than a wookie, though it's still dumb and purposely dehumanizing. But I had the exact same reaction (basically, "meh" I see the joke, but it's not funny enough to laugh at or repost) that I did when I saw the Obama/wookie meme. If one is racist, why isn't the other? Because a grinch doesn't look like Bigfoot? Is Bigfoot racist? It's pretty confusing for someone who isn't racked with white guilt, guys. Help me out.

The wookie and grinch jokes seem to both be motivated by people who don't like whatever democrat regime is in office - just as whomever the next Repube who wins the office will have some kind of dehumanizing meme created about him/her. It's predictable and it has nothing to do with race. At. All.

You are getting cause and effect mixed up here. In a post racial society we can compare anyone to wookies, but comparing anyone to wookies in no way moves us towards a post racial society.[/B]

I hope you realized when you typed this sentence how hilarious it is and that it's ridiculous on purpose. Just in case it's not, I want to be clear. I do not perceive wookies as vehicles of social change. I view them as completely irrelevant that only those desperate to find racism can twist into the visage of a monkey. In fact, the worst thing about the Obama/Wookie meme is the terrible, vicious insult it is to Chewbacca.

I am sure it is much easier for you to not give a shit about race, than it is for someone that no one in your family would date a generation ago or someone who's father was lynched.

It is much easier. That's exactly my point. racism doesn't get fixed overnight. It literally does take generations to clean it out, but at some point it's healthy to acknowledge that we've moved a long ways towards being post racial. Humans kind of suck, and as such, racism will never cease to exist. But it has officially become very uncool to be racist among mainstream people who aren't hiding behind a computer and commenting on YouTube videos.

Noticing racist things and calling them racist isn't what gives them power, its their capacity to demean, exclude and remind people of their place in this country's racial hierarchy.

You are right! HOWEVER, noticing obvious political jokes that are perhaps... marginally, possibly and highly debatably partially racist to your subjective opinion and then arguing about them on the internet is a waste of time. Please... If you notice actual racism, give me a call and I'll come help you call that shit out.

Where on earth do you live where you don't encounter casual racism? You don't have facebook/read comments on news articles? Also I am sure we got to this point by people ignoring the N word and pretending like it wasn't racist to call people apes.

I live on the south side of the river in Bixby Oklahoma. When I went to school here in the 80's, we were mostly farm boys. Lots of gun racks in our trucks. It's a big rich suburb now but it's not that far removed from some pretty redneck roots. Also, I didn't say I don't encounter casual racism. I said it's not reflective of most social values anymore. I rarely encounter any type of racism, casual or not. But I certainly remember a time in this same place where it was less causal, very common and more overt. This is a positive trend. It's OK to acknowledge it. Obviously we still have a ways to go, but getting our panties in a bunch over dumb internet political jokes is not productive.

Also, are you new to the internet? If not, how have you managed not to notice that comment sections are where the absolute worst of humanity posts their most purposefully insensitive thoughts? Hell, how may times on this message board have you seen someone post something you know damned well they would never say to another person's face? Happens all the time because of the anonymity we perceive, safely ensconced behind our monitors and keyboard. I know all too well how vicious someone can be when they enjoy internet anonymity. I don't see much racism on facebook - but I guess it depends on who your friends are.

1968 was less than 50 years ago. People that dealt with that are still alive today. I am sure the people who are disproportionately targeted for drug offenses, or the people making $20K less than the median household will be happy to hear that racism is neutered once and for all.

I guess this is your gotcha anchor point? Obviously police departments are corrupt and racist. I've never said they aren't. I've also never claimed that we are actually in a post-racial world. What I've said is that socially, racism is no longer tacitly tolerated. Show me some stats on your $20k less figure. That sounds kinda made up to me. Would be interesting to see where you are getting this data. I've worked with plenty of black people who made the same as me. Maybe I've always just missed the secret meetings or something.

Your thesis is that we are getting less racist so we should quit being vigilant about racism. Makes total sense.

Nope. My point is that wookies are not got dam monkeys, you chimp.

Is it OK to make people feel bad about male pattern baldness? Being a woman? Having thick calves? resembling a horse? Just want to be clear on what it's ok to be a total dick about and what isn't. I want to make sure that when I make another human feel demeaned, it's for a GOOD reason they can't control instead of a BAD one.

Originally posted by davidallen:

I've explained this pretty exhaustively at this point.

Been following this thread. Very telling. Just curious, which of these statements is more acceptable?

"Also the content of your character is shit if making a stupid insult is worth making some one feel demeaned based on their race."

or

"Also the content of your character is shit if making a stupid insult is worth making some one feel demeaned."

Originally posted by davidallen:

I've explained this pretty exhaustively at this point.
I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think you were just yanking chains on it. if you TRULY believe this... lets just say that is probably the biggest ad hominem/laziest defense of a position I have seen you make.

Mega, honestly I am having a hard time figuring out your position. You talk about how much we have progressed on racism, I point out that it is still a big deal, you say that wasn't your point, and go on to say that your thesis is that wookies aren't monkeys. Is that really your thesis? I'm genuinely confused here.

You are right! HOWEVER, noticing obvious political jokes that are perhaps... marginally, possibly and highly debatably partially racist to your subjective opinion and then arguing about them on the internet is a waste of
I guess this is my point. Racism is experienced subjectively. It is not for a white person to decide if a wookie is sufficiently different enough from a monkey to keep the comparison from being racially offensive. My point once again is who is callous enough to make marginal debatable partially racist comments for the sake of nothing? Only a person who does not care about the people who are subjectively experiencing the racism. i.e. a racist.

I guess this is your gotcha anchor point? Obviously police departments are corrupt and racist. I've never said they aren't. I've also never claimed that we are actually in a post-racial world. What I've said is that socially, racism is no longer tacitly tolerated. Show me some stats on your $20k less figure. That sounds kinda made up to me. Would be interesting to see where you are getting this data. I've worked with plenty of black people who made the same as me. Maybe I've always just missed the secret meetings or something.
No it was just a counter to your "hey things aren't as bad as they used to be, people don't say the N word as often, racism is neutered." You can look the stats up yourself Median Income White Households, Median Income Black Households.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT