ADVERTISEMENT

'We got it done': Oklahoma State's Tay Martin's proclamation holds in Bedlam win over OU

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

'We got it done': Oklahoma State's Tay Martin's proclamation holds in Bedlam win over OU​

Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

TILLWATER — A week ago, Oklahoma State receiver Tay Martin made a declaration about Bedlam.

“I would expect to whoop their ass, honestly,” Martin said in part about the looming battle with rival OU.

Mission somewhat accomplished.

The seventh-ranked Cowboys did come away with the 37-33 win late Saturday night over the 10th-ranked Sooners at Boone Pickens Stadium, eliminating OU from Big 12 title contention and moving one step closer to a possible College Football Playoff berth.

It was not the dominant performance Martin had hoped. Still, a win is a win, especially for the Cowboys in this rivalry.

And Martin was thrilled his comments did not backfire on him or his teammates.

“I’m glad them guys had my back and we got it done,” Martin said. “We didn’t whoop their ass, but we got it done.”

TILLWATER — A week ago, Oklahoma State receiver Tay Martin made a declaration about Bedlam.

“I would expect to whoop their ass, honestly,” Martin said in part about the looming battle with rival OU.

Mission somewhat accomplished.

The seventh-ranked Cowboys did come away with the 37-33 win late Saturday night over the 10th-ranked Sooners at Boone Pickens Stadium, eliminating OU from Big 12 title contention and moving one step closer to a possible College Football Playoff berth.

It was not the dominant performance Martin had hoped. Still, a win is a win, especially for the Cowboys in this rivalry.

And Martin was thrilled his comments did not backfire on him or his teammates.

“I’m glad them guys had my back and we got it done,” Martin said. “We didn’t whoop their ass, but we got it done.”

e01e74c7-fc9e-4ca7-a9ac-6e00e601e892-_MGL8831.jpg

Martin was ready to back up his own words, starting on fire before ultimately overcoming a rollercoaster day.

He caught a 30-yard touchdown pass in double coverage just more than 4 minutes into the game, throwing up an X with his arms afterward with former OSU star Dez Bryant — who made that famous — in attendance.

Nearly 7 minutes later, Martin rushed for a 14-yard score, his first touchdown on the ground this season.

That was a play the Cowboys practiced throughout the week.

“I was waiting on that play to get called in the red zone,” Martin said. “I just saw a lot of green grass.”

Martin ultimately caught seven passes for 89 yards. He also had a 43-yard touchdown reception ruled incomplete and confirmed on replay.

“They stole a touchdown from me, but I’m not worried about it,” Martin said. “We still got the win.”

Spencer Sanders ultimately delivers​

For weeks, the Cowboys had practiced the quarterback option but saved it for the right moment.

Early in the fourth quarter was the perfect time.

OSU’s Spencer Sanders went to his right, faked the pitch to Jaylen Warren and then cut up field through a huge hole.

And scored.

Thirty-seven yards and with 13:52 remaining, the Cowboys had life trailing just 33-31.

“It’s a good pull,” OSU offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said. “We’re not going to say that thing’s going to score. Don’t get me wrong. We’re just trying to move the chains with that thing. For us to get the score out of it is a little bit of icing on that.

“We thought we’d get a good chunk and a little spark, and it ended up being a massive play in the game.”

Sanders — who went viral himself for comments on Tuesday about the game — overall played well. He completed 19 of 30 passes for 214 yards and a TD. He also rushed for a team-high 93 yards on 16 carries.

He did throw two interceptions, though. They were his first since Nov. 6 at West Virginia. He had thrown two combined in the past six games.

“Overall, his decision making, his ability to keep his composure and find his way through and around the pass rush to make plays was really good,” OSU coach Mike Gundy said. “I thought he was really good in this game.”

796a1811-e1bd-433a-8c82-2de0acb964bd-_LX17821.jpg

Josh Sills refuses to leave with injury​

With 8:54 remaining, left guard Josh Sills was not leaving the game.

He had aggravated his foot injury on a failed two-point conversion. Trainers even tried to remove his shoe on the sideline, but he insisted they tape it up, according to OSU’s radio broadcast.

It was his senior day and the biggest game of the year.

“I got nine minutes left in my senior day and I’ll be damned if you’re going to take me out of the game,” SIlls said he told the trainers. “I said, ‘I’m going back in, whether you like it or not.’ And that’s what happened.”

Sills did re-enter the game and he finished strong.

He’s played injured the past two games, though he wasn’t expecting to play at all at Texas Tech a week ago.

Sills said he’s good to go next week against Baylor, too.

“I’m good,” Sills said. “Back healthy now and better than ever.”

Brennan Presley’s wild day​

OSU sophomore Brennan Presley dropped his left hand and he was gone.

That was the tell Sanders picked up on to know that Presley was going to score on his 100-yard kick return.

“You’re not catching him,” Sanders said. “That’s just opened up. Once he strides out, he’s gone. That was exciting, especially for a young cat like that.”

Presley’s day was nothing but exciting, both for OSU and OU.

He had the kick return touchdown. But he also muffed a punt that OU recovered, setting up a touchdown.

Gundy said Presley was not supposed to move backward inside the 8, where he started the play, to catch the punt.

“He played his heart out tonight,” Sanders said. “He was really down on himself for dropping that punt, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. He made up for it and he’s an excellent player.”

Record day for OSU​

The win set several marks and created impressive stats for the Cowboys.

► They became just the third team to beat four AP Top-25 ranked teams this season, joining Alabama and Georgia.

► The Cowboys are the lone team to have two wins over teams ranked in the recent College Football Playoff Rankings.

► The victory is the seventh this season inside Boone Pickens Stadium, a school record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News