ADVERTISEMENT

US gets qualifying spot @ 65 kg, Molinaro to Rio!

Poland failed the drug test at the same tourney and the Armenian that Frank beat in the 1st round in Turkey got in as well. Embarrassing for the European Federation that the two qualifiers in Europe both got bounced.

The year of meldonium. People are popping left and right in a lot of sports. WADA is even having a hard time figuring out how long this stuff stays in your system (it wasn't illegal until January 1). Its a game changer.

The year of meldonium. People are popping left and right in a lot of sports. WADA is even having a hard time figuring out how long this stuff stays in your system (it wasn't illegal until January 1). Its a game changer.
WADA backtracked a little earlier in the year because they didn't realize Meldonium stayed in the system longer than thought. However, they've since come to the conclusion that two months was more than enough time for the drug to wash out of the system, and so declared that if you tested positive for it after March 1st, you were guilty as charged. Euro tourney was early April.

How prevalent do you think doping is at ncaa level?
http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/policy/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

From the link:

When is drug testing conducted at the championship?

Drug testing can occur at any phase of an NCAA championship (e.g., first round, second round, quarterfinals, semi-finals or finals).

Drug testing can occur more than once at any championship (e.g., first round and finals).

Participating institutions and student-athletes are not given any advance notice that drug testing is being conducted at the championship.

When will student-athletes be notified of their selection for drug testing?

At individual/team championships (cross country, fencing, golf, gymnastics, rifle, skiing, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, wrestling), official drug-testing couriers will notify student-athletes of their selection for drug testing.

The NCAA and institution also conducts year-round testing.

So to answer your question pertaining to wrestling, I don't think doping is very prevalent as the reward is far less than the penalty. The penalty is to lose a year of eligibility on first offense. Second offense is loss of all eligibility. That's a potentially steep price to pay (in scholly money) for the non-financial benefit of being an AA or champ.

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/policy/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

From the link:

When is drug testing conducted at the championship?

Drug testing can occur at any phase of an NCAA championship (e.g., first round, second round, quarterfinals, semi-finals or finals).

Drug testing can occur more than once at any championship (e.g., first round and finals).

Participating institutions and student-athletes are not given any advance notice that drug testing is being conducted at the championship.

When will student-athletes be notified of their selection for drug testing?

At individual/team championships (cross country, fencing, golf, gymnastics, rifle, skiing, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, wrestling), official drug-testing couriers will notify student-athletes of their selection for drug testing.

The NCAA and institution also conducts year-round testing.

So to answer your question pertaining to wrestling, I don't think doping is very prevalent as the reward is far less than the penalty. The penalty is to lose a year of eligibility on first offense. Second offense is loss of all eligibility. That's a potentially steep price to pay (in scholly money) for the non-financial benefit of being an AA or champ.
I agree that doping in the NCAA at least performance enhancing drugs is probably not a major problem. I think it is much more prevalent in International wrestling. I am glad Molinaro is getting a chance to wrestle in the Olympics. He worked hard for it and defeated some very good American wrestlers to earn the spot.

I agree that doping in the NCAA at least performance enhancing drugs is probably not a major problem. I think it is much more prevalent in International wrestling. I am glad Molinaro is getting a chance to wrestle in the Olympics. He worked hard for it and defeated some very good American wrestlers to earn the spot.
I think from reading the NCAA rules regarding drug testing that is primarily focused on athletes at various championships in sports and the drug testing during the year test for Anabolic Agents, Diuretics and other masking agents, peptide hormones and analogues, anti-estrogens, beta-2 atagonist. Rules have been changed regarding Marijuana since the NCAA rules that marijuana is not a performing enhancing substance in 2014. The rule was changed from suspension was lowered from a full season suspension to half season suspension. However, rules vary greatly from one university to another about the member schools testing for marijuana with some very lenient and others harsh. I do not know what the Ok State drug testing policy is regarding wrestling. I am not even certain that if tested they have to report to the NCAA but I believe they do. I I do not think it is random drug testing but by "for cause". Whoever is in the know about this, I am hoping they share. Current drug testing for marijuana can detect it for 2-4 weeks according to the NCAA but I think it stays in the system much longer than that. I was of course, speaking of performance enhancing drugs when saying I do not think it is a problem in college wrestling. I do believe that most wrestling coaches do not penalize a wrestler the first time he tests for Marijuana but penalties ensue on the second and subsequent tests. Since it is against the law I tend to think penalties should ensue but I have no firm stance on this. Occasional use is probably not any more harmful than alcohol use. I am not on a rampage about this but the prevalence of marijuana use in the total population appears strong. Obviously, if the student athlete is charged with drug use of any kind in the court system this is a different matter.

Oberebo, I am no expert in general or specifically to OSU, but here's my take. The NCAA policy is indeed about PEDs (as it should be). Universities can create a program that tests more frequently and for more drugs, but if they do and find a violation, they must report and punish the athlete. To not do so would bring sanctions on the university. So there is a very strong disincentive for universities to test beyond what the NCAA requires, not least of which is that it may put them at a competitive disadvantage if they test for weed and other recreational drugs. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I read the tea leaves.

Reactions: oberebo
Oberebo, I am no expert in general or specifically to OSU, but here's my take. The NCAA policy is indeed about PEDs (as it should be). Universities can create a program that tests more frequently and for more drugs, but if they do and find a violation, they must report and punish the athlete. To not do so would bring sanctions on the university. So there is a very strong disincentive for universities to test beyond what the NCAA requires, not least of which is that it may put them at a competitive disadvantage if they test for weed and other recreational drugs. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I read the tea leaves.
I think that is about how I read the tea leaves. Thanks for the info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT