ADVERTISEMENT

Update to the OK liquor laws

Not to hijack, but in Texas, there will never be liquor sold in grocery. I worked for a distributor for 12 years as a rep out of college, and the TPSA is a very strong group. If anything happens, and the suppliers get their way, we will go to a two tier system, straight from supplier to retail, eliminating the distributors. Doubt that will happen either. The Glazers, and Block and Goldring families have a ton of $$$$ and influence. Plus it is another round of taxation for the state.

I've known the OKC family my entire life, their roots in OK legislature go back generations. It's quite impressive.

Lebanese?

Talked about this awhile back on this same issue. Had drinks with a member of the Lebanese Liquor Mafia here in okc. He said it's inevitable this will happen. At the time he said not this election cycle but next. Which is what the article mentions (2016). That's all I got.

Real talk time. The scuttlebutt around the Capitol this week is that the Naifehs are on board with the proposed changes which will also allow the selling of mixers and snacks along with retail growler fills and wine, liquor and beer tastings in liquor stores.

There is also scuttlebutt that the ABLE Commission will be going away one way or the other sooner rather than later. Maybe not this year, but soon. Either by way of legislative approval of a Constitutional referendum to fully eliminate them or taking away most of their statutory authority and funding.

I think it's coming.....within three years or less....real good chance that it happens in this next session.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
The liquor distribution laws in Oklahoma have been anti-competition for many decades. I hope it changes but I'm not optimistic.

The liquor distribution laws in Oklahoma have been anti-competition for many decades. I hope it changes but I'm not optimistic.

I've never been optimistic until this meeting with the chair of the State House Public Safety committee and he actually named names of people that are supposedly on board. We'll see, I guess.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Its funny, we go visit my parents in OK and there's their liquor laws then we visit the in-laws in Baton Rouge and can get 8 shots worth of booze in a daiquiri from a drive-thru Window. It's not an open container ya know, because they left a cap on top of the straw or sealed the hole of the plastic lid.

32 Oz Purple Passion or Jungle Juice with two extra shots for the win.

Oklahoma. Never before in the course of human events have so few screwed so many for so much $$$ without retaliation. The citizens of Oklahoma need to collectively pull their heads out and kick the trash to the curb.

Are you referring to fixing the liquor laws, or for Walmart to stop selling "gomer gear" to the c-sucker mullets?

Naifeh?

A girl I dated for a short time at OSU is likely connected to that family. Her mother's maiden name is Naifeh.

It's certainly possible that there is a distant instead of close relation in this case - I don't recall anything that would suggest money and political connections.

Well, aside from her grandparents buying her a brand new mustang for her 20th birthday.

From a consumer point of view, the refrigeration issue is about more than trying not to forget you left a few beers in the freezer. There are several Brewers that don't supply stores in OK because of it. Everyone knows New Belgium but there are others.

Missouri has the best liquor laws. About the only thing they do is close a little earlier on Sundays.

Real talk time. The scuttlebutt around the Capitol this week is that the Naifehs are on board with the proposed changes which will also allow the selling of mixers and snacks along with retail growler fills and wine, liquor and beer tastings in liquor stores.

There is also scuttlebutt that the ABLE Commission will be going away one way or the other sooner rather than later. Maybe not this year, but soon. Either by way of legislative approval of a Constitutional referendum to fully eliminate them or taking away most of their statutory authority and funding.

I think it's coming.....within three years or less....real good chance that it happens in this next session.

The ABLE commission going away would be HUGE news. I had to deal with them in my business that I owned for a bit and I always felt that they were just bullies and just another layer of unnecessary beuracracy. The Oklahoma Tax Commission had all the real power and oversight in my business, but the ABLE had the power to fine you or shut down your business when to local police chief made the call and asked them to.

These are all great steps in the right direction. End of the day, will the people who truly care about this stuff get out and vote? I know I will. I think a lot of the people who vote no matter what will automatically vote no on any change to the liquor laws.

Statewide votes in Oklahoma are a very tricky thing.

The ABLE commission going away would be HUGE news. I had to deal with them in my business that I owned for a bit and I always felt that they were just bullies and just another layer of unnecessary beuracracy. The Oklahoma Tax Commission had all the real power and oversight in my business, but the ABLE had the power to fine you or shut down your business when to local police chief made the call and asked them to.
Did you own a bar or restaurant?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT