ADVERTISEMENT

Unbroken

I just was reading about how some Japanese groups are upset about the portrayal of the POW camp.

Perhaps they can tell my sister-in-law (who never knew her oldest brother) how their POW camps were actually much closer to Country Clubs than prisons and he must have only imagined being water-boarded to death at age 19 while enjoying their hospitality.

Perhaps they can tell the WWII Pacific Veteran I met during Pearl Harbor Day in 1990, that the story he told about finding his childhood friend recently liberated from a Japanese POW camp in the Philippines and not recognizing the guy because he only weighed about 80 lbs all the while trying to hold back the tears and eventually breaking down and losing it was likely lying. (I will never forget that encounter and story, he told just my brother, my SIL and myself about those events when he found out about her brother. It was something he said he had wrestled with every day, which he compared to the soldiers in Europe dealing with concentration camps because the prisoners were basically in an identical condition to the camp survivors.)

I have nothing against the Japanese people, but it seems like they've always had a huge blind spot about how atrocious their actions were in WII: from the Rape of Nanking to the Bataan death march to their treatment of native civilians (labor camps and kidnapping women to force into prostitution) to their treatment of all who came under their control in general.

F those deniers, F them all and may they get ASS CANCER!

Good movie, great book. Hillenbrand did a great job. Kudos to Jolie for staying true to the story and the facts about Japanese brutality.

The faction of Japanese Nationalists with revisionist history can go straight to hell.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hadn't seen it yet, but this was one persons feelings after seeing it that i know........

I wait 40 years to see this on the screen. I heard Paul Harvey about Louis back in the seventies. My issue is this. Tens of thousands were tortured by the Niponese in ww2. What set Louis apart was the redemption he received at a Billy Graham Tent Revival upon his return. Jolie leaves all of this out....except doubles up on the beatings.

Did the movie mention Louis going back over later in life and extending a hand or salute to his captor and tormentor?

Originally posted by Dally1up:
Did the movie mention Louis going back over later in life and extending a hand or salute to his captor and tormentor?
Yes at the end of the movie via text it detailed his dedicating his life to Christ as his turning point and the fact he went back to Japan to forgive his captors.

Shows footage of him carrying the Olympic torch in Japan as well.

I though they told the story extremely well for fitting into a movie timeframe.

Originally posted by osu2082:

Originally posted by Dally1up:
Yes at the end of the movie via text it detailed his dedicating his life to Christ as his turning point and the fact he went back to Japan to forgive his captors.

Shows footage of him carrying the Olympic torch in Japan as well.

I though they told the story extremely well for fitting into a movie timeframe.
This.

Really a long drawn out torturing movie. Probably exactly what was needed to make you understand the torture he went through at the hands of the Japanese and the drifting at sea slowly dying.

Special person to do what he did. I understand forgiveness but bringing the people back in your life after what happened. That's a special person.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie but will wait for it to hit DVD. For some reason, I like to watch really redemptive movies by myself. This seems like that kind of story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT