ADVERTISEMENT

Ultimate zombie slayer...

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
I was going to post this in the non-sports board just for kicks since it would get more exposure, but I figured those of you that really dig this would end up here...

After some time, I finally have my ultimate zombie rifle lol. That's a joke of course, but what isn't a joke is the rifle itself...German quality and heavy as hell. It tips scales at 19.6 pounds....yeesh. Orion 80 Zeiss night vision scope, old German surplus that has been refinished and with new tubes (Gen 2+), original HK 50 round G8 drum, bayonet, original sling, all attached to a 1979 Heckler & Koch 91 (civilian version G3). That last pic shows how big this beast is next to my AR-15.

Can't wait to play with this thing....I spent last night getting some information together and whatnot, just making sure I knew how to use the scope. Downloaded a German to English manual. Now I'm all fahrfevnugen or whatever.

Btw, that's a Magpul PRS2 stock, I took the original A2 stock off and put in in storage. And the first pic has my compensator attached, I don't have a silencer....YET ;)

Good Laudy, You invading Cashganistan all by yourself? That is a beast. I'm just dumb enough to not know what caliber that is. I'd first assumed .223 (nato/military) but then figured they'd make that in a heavier round. ???? What size led does it sling?

Waiting on a field report. Also curious about how effective that night vision scope is.

7.62x51 and .308 Winchester. It will sling both.

I've run the rifle quite a bit before I mounted this, I can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 with ease, I'm sure it will do well at 100.

I have played with this scope enough to say I'm impressed so far, but the night test is coming. Tonite, I'm taking it out to some land under the stars to see if it's all I have heard about. Lots of guys rave about these, it's quality Zeiss night vision, albeit a bit dated tech. The drum mag works flawlessly. You can eat up 50 rounds quick without a hiccup.

HK stuff seems to be top shelf in my experience.

That series of rifles were military grade in design so they all threw NATO rounds interchangeably.

I don't think I've ever known of a regular guy (read not a gun-nut collector) that had one.

HOOOOOO BOY!!!!!

This thing is fun as HELL!!!! I could bust a vampire right in the bloody fang from 100 yards in starlit skies! I am pumped like Arnold on this BASTID!

I'm so glad I blew way too much f*%#} cash!! It was actually worth it lol.

Honestly though, once I get my silencer in, this thing is going to be the most fun you can have legally. Kinda.

I cracked a coyote from 50 at 11 pm the other night at my buddies place with this. Rewind a bit, I sighted it in at the range with the cap on and internal shutter down. That was kind of a bitch since I was having to fumble around around with an Allen wrench, but once I got er dialed in, it was just like shooting with my Hensoldt scope. Best of all, I can switch out between three scopes without having to sight the damn thing in again with everything being claw mounted.

I will have to try and snap a pic later and see if I can get a decent shot through the scope at night. Now this is just Gen 2+, so it's not as pretty as Gen 3 and 4 stuff that's available now (for only about 2500 to 8000 bucks more...). I haven't seen any of these scopes for sale anymore, looks like HKparts has one left of the refurbished units. They are $1500 bucks...and honestly, unless you have an old HK91 like me, or maybe even a PTR91 (which can be had for considerably less than an HK91), then you probably won't want to mess with this and would rather get some of the new stuff. I will say this, I think this old scope is built pretty much bullet proof compared to the newer offerings unless you spend a little cash. I talked to the gentleman that actually does the work on these, he seemed like a great guy and had spent some time overseas and acquired a lot of the tubes and internals to do this.

There were some of these for sale from other vendors up until about 2-3 years ago, but they have simce been snagged up. You can buy the "parts grade" one from HKparts and roll the dice on getting one that could be brought back to life, but other than the guy I talked to, I don't see any real sources for parts for these. Again, it's the Eltro-Zeiss Z51 Orion 80 night vision scope. Haven't been in production for awhile, German military (and perhaps other countries as well).

The empty places in the box are for C batteries. It takes two to run, then you keep a couple aside for spares. So no crazy power supply.

Here we go...

The flash in the left of the pic was from a street light that was like a quarter mile away. The stuff you see is a truck and trailer that's about 150 yards away, and totally obscured in the dark.

This is a crappy image because I couldn't get the focus down, it's my neighbors back porch lol. It was completely blacked out, but it was closer, and this scope is better at things 30 yards or more really.

Anyway, it does what it's supposed to do. Hollywood makes night vision a bit on the fantasy side, and unless you go hard...and I mean HARD with the cash, you won't get much better than this.

My lens is dirty too, I need to get some time and clean the lenses thoroughly.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/jim-barrett/night-vision-primer/

That's a decent article concerning night vision and the differences. Mine is Gen 2+, but from what I have seen, it's pretty close to Gen 3.

Gen 4 is fairly new, and any that I have seen in the form of goggles have been in the 7-9K range at this point.

Gen 1 is cheap, can be had for under $400 in most cases. Uses an IR illuminator to get the desired effect. The other 3 don't require the illuminator.

I have played around with Gen 3 that a buddy had, it didn't seem to be that much different than my scope. I still think that this scope is about the best you can get for the money, and although it weighs like 5 pounds, it's pretty damn sturdy. But damn.....my HK91, if it's fully loaded with 50 rounds in the mag, compensator, and with this on top....plus the bipod and whatnot, it's 20 pounds altogether lol. The cool thing is I have almost no recoil shooting stout .308 rounds with all that weight.

That is an awesome set up. I have a full on thermal imaging scope for a rifle but have never been able to sight it in. Sort of hard to aim at things that aren't visible because they don't have a heat signature.

I envy your set up. Someday I'll get me a night vision set up too

The reticle is lighted. It glows green. I'll take a pic and let y'all see what I see

In this pic, I turned the reticle intensity up as high it would go to take the pic. Hard to see in the pic, but it's damn bright. The very top dot is ballistic zero. Then down is 200 meters and 400 meters (as explained in the English to German manual I have). The spaced out "triangles" on down are two rows of sites that would be used for a panzerfaust (which, if you look in the box, I'll be damned if I don't have a mount for a panzerfaust lol) , leads for a tank traveling at about 18 kph. So they aren't really used lol. But I guess you could use them if you got the distances and calculations down.

It's a really hellacious little set up. You sight it in during the day with internal "shutter" down and the lens cap on, there's tiny pin holes that all you to see through the cap for daytime use. I can see plain as day with the cap on and the system on, it's pretty clear too.

Sighted in my night vision scope on my HK91. Holy Toledo...it's on just like my Hensoldt. 3 shot group, all touching at 50 yards. I would have taken a pic but I left my damn phone in the car and wasn't going to walk the distance I had to get the thing. I shot from the bipod, prone. Just a fantastic rifle, definitely my new favorite battle rifle for sure.

Well. That does it. I'm coming to hang out with you when the Zombies come.

The zombies are here...I see them all the time at Walmart. Walking around looking at falling prices and uttering "Nnnnnnggghhhhhh.....oooooooooooo.....AHHHHHHHHHH...."

Yup. They aren't too unfriendly yet...but just wait until after November Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT