ADVERTISEMENT

U17 World championships

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
The championships for U17 in Amman, Jordan start tomorrow Sunday 8/18 and according to Flo you can watch starting at 11:30 PM CDT.
45kg Samuel Sanchez
48kg Henry Aslikyan
51kg Domenic Munaretto
55kg Keanu Dillard
60kg Jordyn Raney
65kg Nathaniel Askew
71kg Melvin Miller
80kg Emmitt Sherlock
92kg Elijah Diakomahalis
110kg Michael Mocco

Is Yanni’s little brother comparable to him? Munaretto going for another title
Elijah was the New York State champion Division 1 this year and went 46-0 during his Junior year. He is a senior this fall.
He was wearing a Cornell Shirt during an interview last year but of course if Yanni does come to the RTC then all bets are off in where he might attend college.

As a parent, that had to be a hard decision to make. Serious stuff for sure..
I jumped the gun in my reporting. The freestyle wrestling does not start until Saturday 8/24. Weights wrestled on that day will be 48-55--65-80-110kg. On Sunday 8/25 weights 45-51-60-71-92kg will be wrestled. I can fully understand why a parent would not allow their 15-17 year old to travel to Jordan in the Middle east. I understand Jordan is one of the more moderate Arab countries but it is very close to Israel, Lebanon and Syria.

I jumped the gun in my reporting. The freestyle wrestling does not start until Saturday 8/24. Weights wrestled on that day will be 48-55--65-80-110kg. On Sunday 8/25 weights 45-51-60-71-92kg will be wrestled. I can fully understand why a parent would not allow their 15-17 year old to travel to Jordan in the Middle east. I understand Jordan is one of the more moderate Arab countries but it is very close to Israel, Lebanon and Syria.
Thanks for keeping us updated Oberebo. Here is the schedule for U17s.

greco is tomorrow thru Wednesday.
Womens freestyle is Wednesday thru Friday
Mens freestyle is Friday through Sunday

All times are local. So subtract 7 hours on the East Coast and 8 hours Central. So morning session for y'all starts at 2:30am.

Locks for FS Medals:
Sanchez bronze, Henry bronze, Munaretto world champ, Raney world champ, Raney world champ, askew bronze, Miller world champ, Sherlock bronze, Elijah bronze, Mocco silver

USA wins team title

Locks for FS Medals:
Sanchez bronze, Henry bronze, Munaretto world champ, Raney world champ, Raney world champ, askew bronze, Miller world champ, Sherlock bronze, Elijah bronze, Mocco silver

USA wins team title
First day of Freestyle is underway and Michael Mocco at 110kg is in the finals. He has had 3 technical falls in his 3 matches and will be wrestling Kassinbek from Ukraine in the finals.
We had four of our five wrestlers make it to the semis and three are wrestling for the Bronze Medal. Askew at 65 kg did not make it to the semis although he won 2 matches and then lost in the qtrs and his man did not pull him through.
Keanu Dillard will wrestle for Bronze at 55kg against either Kitade from Japan or Askenbek from Kazikstan. He won 3 close matches and then lost 10-2 in the semis. At 48 kg Aslikyan is wrestling for bronze after losing 4-4 criteria match in the semis. Sherlock at 80kg lost in the semis and will wrestle for Bronze against either Armenia or MKD.
Mocco looks dominant at 110kg. I also watched his finals opponent who does not look to be in his class but who
knows.

45kg Sammy Sanchez won 10-0 and 11-0 and is in the semis.
48kg Henry Aslikyan 3-1 record and in bronze medal match.
51kg Dom Munaretto 2-0 and in the semis.
55kg Keanu Dillard 3-1 and wrestling for bronze.
60kg Jordyn Raney 3-0 and in the semis.
65kg Nathaniel Askew 2-1 (eliminated)
71kg Melvin Miller 2-1 lost in qtrs but his opponent won his next match so he should be in repechage.
80kg Emmitt Sherlock 2-1 and wrestling for bronze.
92kg Elijah Diakomahalis 1-1 (waiting for semi results).
110kg Michael Mocco 3-0 and in Gold medal match.
Schedule for rest of today:
9:15AM CT semis for 45,51,60,71,92kg
10AM CT medal matches 48,55,65,80,110kg,

Reactions: DPJ
45kg Sammy Sanchez won 10-0 and 11-0 and is in the semis.
48kg Henry Aslikyan 3-1 record and in bronze medal match.
51kg Dom Munaretto 2-0 and in the semis.
55kg Keanu Dillard 3-1 and wrestling for bronze.
60kg Jordyn Raney 3-0 and in the semis.
65kg Nathaniel Askew 2-1 (eliminated)
71kg Melvin Miller 2-1 lost in qtrs but his opponent won his next match so he should be in repechage.
80kg Emmitt Sherlock 2-1 and wrestling for bronze.
92kg Elijah Diakomahalis 1-1 (waiting for semi results).
110kg Michael Mocco 3-0 and in Gold medal match.
Schedule for rest of today:
9:15AM CT semis for 45,51,60,71,92kg
10AM CT medal matches 48,55,65,80,110kg,
Sanchez won by fall at 45kg and Munaretto won 5-1 at 51kg so both in the finals. Raney at 60kg lost 7-1.

Sanchez won by fall at 45kg and Munaretto won 5-1 at 51kg so both in the finals. Raney at 60kg lost 7-1.
Aslikyan wins Bronze at 48kg with a 2-1 decision and Keanu Dillard at 55kg wins by Tech Fall 10-0 for Bronze. Melvin Miller at 71kg is in repechage and will wrestle Nurdinov from Kazikstan and if he wins will wrestle for Bronze.

Team standings after today. USA 117, Iran 116. Team USA has a guaranteed 3 wrestlers in medal matches. Sammy Sanchez for Gold at 45kg, Dom Munaretto for Gold at 51kg and Jordan Raney for Bronze at 60kg. Melvin Miller at 71kg wrestles Nurdinov of Kazikstan tomorrow and if he wins will wrestle for Bronze. Elijah Diakomihalis will wrestle
Momunzhanov of Kazikstan tomorrow and if he wins will wrestle for Bronze at 92kg. We can score a max of 162 points and Iran can score max of 146. The first Gold medal match tomorrow features Sanchez of USA vs. Ramenzanihaza of Iran.

Team standings after today. USA 117, Iran 116. Team USA has a guaranteed 3 wrestlers in medal matches. Sammy Sanchez for Gold at 45kg, Dom Munaretto for Gold at 51kg and Jordan Raney for Bronze at 60kg. Melvin Miller at 71kg wrestles Nurdinov of Kazikstan tomorrow and if he wins will wrestle for Bronze. Elijah Diakomihalis will wrestle
Momunzhanov of Kazikstan tomorrow and if he wins will wrestle for Bronze at 92kg. We can score a max of 162 points and Iran can score max of 146. The first Gold medal match tomorrow features Sanchez of USA vs. Ramenzanihaza of Iran.
Thank you!! Can we assume that Raney will be forfeiting his bronze match?

Thank you!! Can we assume that Raney will be forfeiting his bronze match?
I do not know. Yes, the other wrestler carried him off the mat but I do not think it was necessary although a great gesture on his part. He did get back on his feet alone and for a second put weight on the leg but then winced and went backdown before the Uulu just picked him up unbidden and carried him off the mat. It was a knee injury which the trainer sprayed. It happened in the last 5 seconds of the match. Could have just been a stinger or a serious injury. I guess we will have to wait and see. He does not have to wrestle to get into the Bronze medal match.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Zo was in his corner for worlds and there is only one blueblood that will have a wide open spot by the time he comes in. PSU will have Mirasola, Iowa has Kueter and Ohio St has Feldman. Mocco would also just so happen to be a legacy of said blueblood lol.
Mirasola is two years ahead of Mocco. In addition, Mocco will have a grey shirt, a red shirt, and an Olympic shirt available to him. I don't think any team is out of the question due to lineup logjams with that sort of flexibility.

I'd say OSU has an inside track, but not because your need is greater.

Mirasola is two years ahead of Mocco. In addition, Mocco will have a grey shirt, a red shirt, and an Olympic shirt available to him. I don't think any team is out of the question due to lineup logjams with that sort of flexibility.

It’s okay to be wrong sometimes 85. It’s just your turn 😉

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Munareto loses 3-1 on last second slip. He was leading 1-1 on criteria and did not have to do anything to win but he slipped and fell backwards and lost. Very disappointing. The only way I can explain the last 5 seconds is if they had the names reversed and the 1-1 criteria was in favor of the opponent because with less than 5 seconds left we attempted some sort of takedown and fell backwards. That would mean we were losing 1-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtownPoke
Munareto loses 3-1 on last second slip. He was leading 1-1 on criteria and did not have to do anything to win but he slipped and fell backwards and lost. Very disappointing. The only way I can explain the last 5 seconds is if they had the names reversed and the 1-1 criteria was in favor of the opponent because with less than 5 seconds left we attempted some sort of takedown and fell backwards. That would mean we were losing 1-1.
Think you had the two mixed up Obe. Munaretto was leading on criteria and Bachman tried for a last second td and exposed himself. Munaretto won to take the gold.

Think you had the two mixed up Obe. Munaretto was leading on criteria and Bachman tried for a last second td and exposed himself. Munaretto won to take the gold.
Thanks for the correction. I am confused However I just saw Diakomahalis win for bronze.

That inside track was because of Esposito and Smith. Not so sure about that anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT