ADVERTISEMENT

U17/U20 Nationals This Week

Did he get caught in a leg lace or something?
Nope. 4 take downs I think with 4 back points. One was a four point move. Mendoza looked good.

I think he’s been overshadowed by Jax and Bo and blaze etc but he’s a top recruit too for sure. Jax beat him last year so it’s not like Mendoza is better but he caught Jax today for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_v31
Cael actually took 8th in this tournament last year, losing to Fernando Barreto in the 7th place match.
Could be but I have a memory of him getting into the finals against Ohio State's Bouzakis and getting teched. It was disappointing but he just wasn't strong enough. I thought that was the 20 and under but I am not certain.

Could be but I have a memory of him getting into the finals against Ohio State's Bouzakis and getting teched. It was disappointing but he just wasn't strong enough. I thought that was the 20 and under but I am not certain.
I do think Cael is the favorite over Larkin. Ladarious is really going to have to use his quickness, explosiveness and slickness to upset Sealey who I think beat him earlier in the year at some event. I also seem to remember Hughes beating Larkin in folkstyle last year. But is just by my memory, which has been and maybe justly questioned.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I looked it up. Like I said, Hughes took 8th last year at U20 US Open. Bouzakis teched him at U20 WTT in the finals - that's what you're thinking of.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Heeg loses by Fall to Takat. Looked gassed most the match. Takat was a true freshman NCAA qualifier at bucknell
Takats is from northwest Ohio same school and club as the Blaze brothers, if you see Perrysburg or BTW (Burnett Trained Wrestling), they are pretty dominant for a public school here.

Takats is from northwest Ohio same school and club as the Blaze brothers, if you see Perrysburg or BTW (Burnett Trained Wrestling), they are pretty dominant for a public school here.
Cael Hughes wins 6 to 3 with 1 takedown, 1 exposure and 2 out of bounds. He gave up 3 points in the last minute and a half of the match.

Reactions: osu2082
Lockett really wrestles good and beats Sealey 8 to 2. Lockett had a couple of takedowns, a 2 point exposure when he was down and a couple of off the mats. I love beating Penn. St.
I love others beating Penn St. also and Sinclaire who is going to Missouri beat Barr of Penn St. by tech. Very impressive.

Reactions: tom_v31
I love others beating Penn St. also and Sinclaire who is going to Missouri beat Barr of Penn St. by tech. Very impressive.
At 97 McDaniel Nebraska beat Mirasola Penn St with a solid decision. Carroll teched McDaniel at the Last Chance I believe.

This is a talented group about to come through and we haven’t seen what Sakamoto can really do. It feels a little different with several guys who are having a lot of early FS success that we were all hoping other young guys in the past would have. We got solid depth as well. Half of our lineup could be world team members at some level. Gives you some hope for brighter days.

This is a talented group about to come through and we haven’t seen what Sakamoto can really do. It feels a little different with several guys who are having a lot of early FS success that we were all hoping other young guys in the past would have. We got solid depth as well. Half of our lineup could be world team members at some level. Gives you some hope for brighter days.
I agree Pat. We have some great opportunities. The only concerns that I have are do we have too many guys pulling too much weight next year. We saw what happened when Plott went up a weight. Regardless I really like how our lineup is shaping up. If we get Henderson, next year should be a trophy team. A few bad breaks for Penn State and we could have a winner on our hands. It really sounds like Coleman has made some adjustments to be a great coach.

Yes, Lockett just keeps getting better, he likely has jumped a level since last year at this time.
I checked the 17 and under results and there was not 1 Oklahoma wrestler in the quarters. Michael Mocco is in the semi's.
Yes I can't wait to see Sakamoto wrestle folkstyle. I have seen 3 freestyle matches of Sakamoto at Junior Worlds that are on flo. The first match he got behind 3 to 0 but his opponent was in horrible shape and Sakamoto won 14 to 3. Second match he destroyed his German opponent 10 to 0 quickly. The 3rd match he was in on the legs of his Macedonian opponent twice but on the 2nd got cradled and pinned. He made the classic mistake of moving his knees up to his shoulder. Would have liked him to escape the pin and see if he could come back. He should wrestle in some opens and some duals to give Hughes some matches where he doesn't have to cut. Also maybe he will represent Japan at Junior Worlds again.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
The Liam Daniels kid from Del City/Edmond North who just started wrestling 2 years ago won 4 matches. Intriguing potential.

I checked the 17 and under results and there was not 1 Oklahoma wrestler in the quarters. Michael Mocco is in the semi's.

Yes I can't wait to see Sakamoto wrestle folkstyle. I have seen 3 freestyle matches of Sakamoto at Junior Worlds that are on flo. The first match he got behind 3 to 0 but his opponent was in horrible shape and Sakamoto won 14 to 3. Second match he destroyed his German opponent 10 to 0 quickly. The 3rd match he was in on the legs of his Macedonian opponent twice but on the 2nd got cradled and pinned. He made the classic mistake of moving his knees up to his shoulder. Would have liked him to escape the pin and see if he could come back. He should wrestle in some opens and some duals to give Hughes some matches where he doesn't have to cut. Also maybe he will represent Japan at Junior Worlds again.
He will represent Japan at 57 kg. He will wrestle 125 next year.

Great wrestling by Dee and Cael this weekend!

Went thru the entire thread and have a few thoughts, mainly on future line ups. Cael and Dee will obviously be fantastic additions to the line up. But the truth hurts and we are still miles behind that damn blue team out east. I would think Dee will be at either 65 or 74 but in the long term we have no really really good (psu good) solutions for whatever weight Dee doesn't go or 184. Nobody I watched for the Cowboys this weekend besides Cael and Dee can wrestle at the level of most of the recruits those other guys have coming in.

Thompson is getting his RS that we all think he needs. I'm far from sold on him. Can anyone tell me the last time psu had a true freshman in the line up that went 2 and done? Its happened sure but they're more likely to put a true freshman in the damn finals.

I want to be clear that I'm really excited about the direction the program is going and I think theres a bright future ahead. But that future will need to include recruiting over guys that we (as fans) may really like. I think Coleman is the right guy for the job and I think we see an even bigger difference/improvement this year in the team than we did last year. Excited to see who he's bringing in.

Also above someone asked if Spratley is moving to 33? He's small for 125. Sakamoto may wrestle 57kg for Japan but I think he'll move up to 133 eventually. I could see 133-149 all moving up after this year. Just my thoughts. If Dee grows you could possibly see everyone up to 157 move up. Again, these are my own thoughts.

Don't beat me up to bad lol.

Howie, I am not sure what the proper beating would be for that post, but I tend to agree with your comments. I really think that Cael Hughes, Tagen Jamison will not be able to hold their weight for another year. I have no idea about Jordan Williams. Hope we get the Hendrickson announcement soon. Interesting the Berraclough is in the portal. If we do not get Hendrickson we may have a little money left for Berraclough.

Reactions: bwel9339
Howie, I am not sure what the proper beating would be for that post, but I tend to agree with your comments. I really think that Cael Hughes, Tagen Jamison will not be able to hold their weight for another year. I have no idea about Jordan Williams. Hope we get the Hendrickson announcement soon. Interesting the Berraclough is in the portal. If we do not get Hendrickson we may have a little money left for Berraclough.
I was hoping Barraclough was going to hit the portal as soon as the season was over, he would've been a perfect fit for the team. Now that we have Fish,I don't think he fits in unless one of them wants to drop to 57 and I don't know how effective they'd be down in weight.

To my knowledge Fish has never AA'd or do the prospects look very good for him to do that. Beraclough has the credentials that he should be able to do that.
In Caleb's last three NCAAs:

2022: 0-2, 0 points
2023: 2-2, 2 points (R12)
2024: 2-2, 2 points (R16)

Caleb is a 2-2 to R12 guy, and will get you from 2-4 points.

I like Terrell but he has never been to the big dance, so it is unknown what he would do there. In that light, Fish's experience comes in handy and makes him more predictable, but he's only going to give you 2-3 points. My stance on late career transfers is that except in rare cases, the reality lags expectations. Maybe having both in the room pushes one of them to break out of the pack and AA. If that happens, it's likely Barraclough.

2025 NCAAs:

Fish 2-4 points
Barraclough 2-10 points

Last edited:
He and Thompson will need to sort out 174/184 after this season. Have to think 197 and 285 are set for the next 4-5 years.

Heeg, Thompson, and Robb all have a high ceiling, IMO. Just need to find the right weight.
I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve seen from Robb. Hoping there’s a spot for him at some point. But if not, just means someone even better is there.

Reactions: bwel9339
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT