ADVERTISEMENT

U17/U20 Nationals This Week

Travis Grace of Gilroy, who is maybe young enough to wrestle U17 but is at U20, has two quick tech falls over Sean Degl, an incoming freshman to Penn State and over Isaiah Fenton who is finishing his freshman year at Iowa. He gets Thomas Snipes, a freshman at The Citadel, in the next round.
Just watched his matches. That is a strong kid. Good size too for class of 2026. I assume we have an in for everyone that wrestles for DC haha so hope we are watching him.

Reactions: bwel9339
Hughes wins by tech again with 5 take downs , he is in the quarters
Lockett beats Joey Blaze 8 to 5. He started looking very sharp but the last minute he really slowed down physically and mentally and made it a close match. His speed and talent is special but I did not like how he finished, especially trapping himself on the edge several time in the last minute and giving up points.

Lockett beats Joey Blaze 8 to 5. He started looking very sharp but the last minute he really slowed down physically and mentally and made it a close match. His speed and talent is special but I did not like how he finished, especially trapping himself on the edge several time in the last minute and giving up points.
Well those 2 matches were bad with AJ losing to some guy I never heard of in a close match. Had a 2 to 0 lead and seemed to run out of gas and lost the lead 3 to 2. He had a bloody nose and took lots of time to start but lost. The match before he had a lot of injury time for his leg and just held on. He did not impress me at all with his conditioning. Barr of Pen. St. teched Jersey Robb and Jersey Robb did nothing offensively. He was behind 2 to 0 at the start of the 2nd period and didn't seem focused and he got taken down and leg laced for 6 points and that was the match.

Well those 2 matches were bad with AJ losing to some guy I never heard of in a close match. Had a 2 to 0 lead and seemed to run out of gas and lost the lead 3 to 2. He had a bloody nose and took lots of time to start but lost. The match before he had a lot of injury time for his leg and just held on. He did not impress me at all with his conditioning. Barr of Pen. St. teched Jersey Robb and Jersey Robb did nothing offensively. He was behind 2 to 0 at the start of the 2nd period and didn't seem focused and he got taken down and leg laced for 6 points and that was the match.
Bad stretch with McComas coming back to take the lead 6 to 4 and in the last seconds shot and got a hold of his opponents leg I think to just hold on but got crotch lifted and exposed and lost the match.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I think we have 3 in the championship quarterfinals, Cael Hughes, Ladarion Lockett and if we get him Jax Forrest. In the consolations we have Robb and Heeg that I am aware of in 20 and under.
Correct. Plus Hayden Simpson at 125kg still in consi. Pinned his last two opponents with big upper body throws.

I mean he obviously can make the cut, so he can do it. But I will say his junior and senior year he wrestled between 182-195 I think. Would think the natural progression with weight training and a good diet would be to shed some of that and then build back up.

Back to the open though, I thought both Heeg and Robb have looked good. Honestly surprised a little they lost when they did but neither was “bad” competition. AJ was definitely dealing with something (looked like cramps but idk) in the last few of his. Hope they’re both ready to go today.

Back to the open though, I thought both Heeg and Robb have looked good. Honestly surprised a little they lost when they did but neither was “bad” competition. AJ was definitely dealing with something (looked like cramps but idk) in the last few of his. Hope they’re both ready to go today.
The results have not been great, but I believe the 2 wrestlers that are by far the most important for the future of Cowboy wrestling are in the quarter finals. Cael Hughes has UNI wrestler Corey Land in the quarters and Ladarion Lockett has Cholakyan in the quarters. Both should win. Hughes should be the favorite in the semi's also and Lockett likely will wrestle Bouzakis who he should be favored over. Lastly as a Cowboy fan I will be interested in how Jax Forrest does also.

Reactions: tom_v31
The results have not been great, but I believe the 2 wrestlers that are by far the most important for the future of Cowboy wrestling are in the quarter finals. Cael Hughes has UNI wrestler Corey Land in the quarters and Ladarion Lockett has Cholakyan in the quarters. Both should win. Hughes should be the favorite in the semi's also and Lockett likely will wrestle Bouzakis who he should be favored over. Lastly as a Cowboy fan I will be interested in how Jax Forrest does also.
Jax Forrest got tech falled by Mendoza, not a good start.

I'm just curious why you say Hughes "should" win.

10-10!!!! With 12 left. UNI challenging the two on the edge. Should stand IMO but they think just step out. Continuation in FS though….

Jax Forrest got tech falled by Mendoza, not a good start.
Wow, Hughes was behind 10 to 2 after the 1st period. Lost a takedown and got gut wrenched 4 times. 2nd period Cael got 4 takedowns and 1 point for a failed challenge and wins a great comeback 11 to 10.

Reactions: bwel9339
I thought Cael is the better wrestler based on result history. Cael took 2nd in this tournament last year as 1 example.
OK, thanks. When I looked at both their High School accolades I thought Land's was a little better and he has had 2 years in college, so that's why I was wondering.

Lockett wins 11-0. Looked really solid. Got shaken up at one point, not sure what happened but didn’t really appear to phase his wrestling too much.

Hughes will have Kyler Larkin in finals. Top 20 commit to ASU and younger brother to Kaleb who just showed out at Olympic trials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT