ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective Season 3

Its close. Season One has the advantage of being completely new and different from anything else out there. They have definitely retrenched themselves with season three. We see how the finale goes. To me that was the weakest part of season one..

Agree, I'm judging as a whole. The same amount of episodes I'd def say 1 > 3 but that finale was ridiculous. The projects shootout scene is one of the most incredible scenes ever filmed, all one continuous shot.

Last edited:
Haven't read the thread to avoid spoilers. Haven't watched yet. Worth it? Or similar to Season 2?

I'm just going to say that I really wanted this to be better than it has been. Obviously much better than season 2. The acting has be superb despite a pretty slowly developing plot line. It is almost more of a character study.

Unless there is some huge twist in this last episode - I'm going to give it a C+.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Well they tied that up with a neat little bow. I guess it all flowed but it was pretty anticlimactic. Didn't really seem to fit the tone of the whole series.

After that ending I give the season a C-. The writing at the end was just lazy. The acting was pretty incredible. But the actual reveal was really weak. All discovered in just an expository interview? Screw that. Like I said earlier it seems like a character study more than a plot driven story.

If there is a season 4; I'm out.

Agreed on the weird finale. The flashbacks were odd. The ending scene odd. The hallucinatory revelation odd.

Acting was superb. Really let down by the finale.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
To be honest, I think audiences expect too much out of finales, especially series ending finales. In a series like GoT that goes from season to season you can have these awesome finales because you don't have to do a complete tie up of everything. You have the next season to continue some threads but you can selectively tie up a few. Even though there will probably be a TD season 4 each season is independent of the last so it's a series ending finale every season. Some people hated the season 1 finale because it was too neat, and others because it left too many questions.

I thought it was OK. I liked the fact that they faked us out thinking it was some kind of weird child trafficking thing when the real story was much simpler. I think there is some realism in that in the sense that we have a tendency to want to believe in these large conspiracy theories when many times the truth is not as complicated. I thought overall it was a great season and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still didn't like it as much as season 1 but I don't think they'll ever fully recapture that dynamic of Rust and Marty.

To be honest, I think audiences expect too much out of finales, especially series ending finales. In a series like GoT that goes from season to season you can have these awesome finales because you don't have to do a complete tie up of everything. You have the next season to continue some threads but you can selectively tie up a few. Even though there will probably be a TD season 4 each season is independent of the last so it's a series ending finale every season. Some people hated the season 1 finale because it was too neat, and others because it left too many questions.

I thought it was OK. I liked the fact that they faked us out thinking it was some kind of weird child trafficking thing when the real story was much simpler. I think there is some realism in that in the sense that we have a tendency to want to believe in these large conspiracy theories when many times the truth is not as complicated. I thought overall it was a great season and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still didn't like it as much as season 1 but I don't think they'll ever fully recapture that dynamic of Rust and Marty.

My counter argument to that would be in a limited series like this you know the whole story and the ending before you even start to shoot In a regular TV series which goes on for years with new plots and characters coming and going it hard to bring it all to any kind of conclusion. With only eight episodes the whole thing is laid out. Just like with Season One I felt like they got too tricky and threw in a lot of red herrings to make it seem far more complicated then it was. Also like season one and lawnmower man, who had about five minutes of screen time before being reviled as the bad guy, you had little Mikey suddenly show up to be the hero after the fake of course she's dead we all knew that ending. A complete reversal of everything you had been lead to believe.

Overall I just feel like they could have done a much better job of tying the finale into the flow of the series.

Reactions: NeekReevers
Thanks. I trust your judgment. Now I don’t have to watch. Ending of season 1 was a huge let down. All of season 2 sucked. Sounds like 3 is another waste of time.
The acting was incredible. Some of the characters were awesome. The problem was the dry plot and lazy ending.

So not a total waste.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I am truly staggered at the criticality shown toward what is actually really, really good TV. It's like the whole world are now serious drama critics in the age of social media.

True Detective season 3 was damn good TV, I liked the characters, it entertained me, I looked forward to watching every week. Not ever show needs to be Soprano's at its best to be worth watching.

I am truly staggered at the criticality shown toward what is actually really, really good TV. It's like the whole world are now serious drama critics in the age of social media.

True Detective season 3 was damn good TV, I liked the characters, it entertained me, I looked forward to watching every week. Not ever show needs to be Soprano's at its best to be worth watching.
I concur. Very well acted.

I will say that the fact that not one person could identify the one eyed Mr June, who worked for one of the most prominent businessmen in town was something of a gaping plot hole.

Reactions: nathajw
Overall, very enjoyable for me. I found myself really looking forward to each episode.

With that said, I was disappointed, a bit, with the final episode.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
The final episode should have ended 30 minutes earlier when they met the dad and daughter at the church.

Finally finished it and I thought it was really good. I mean it had issues. It wasn't Breaking Bad. I still looked forward to it and it was as good as anything on TV right now. I think it was worth it just for the acting. Even the smallest parts were great.

Definitely a nice bounce back and makes me hope they keep doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT