ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective Season 3

I wish they would release a "director's cut' version of Season 1. I saw some outtakes of some scenes that, for sake of brevity were cut, but which I think would be awesome to have restored. Particularly, the scenes with Shea Whigham who played the disillusioned former preacher. Those scenes really added some context and flavor, too bad they got cut.

Reactions: NeekReevers
The finale of season 1 and all of season 2 were just awful in comparison to the rest of season 1. I just am not convinced that I could sit through a third installment. Loved The Night Of, and felt that True Detective should have been like that.

The finale of season 1 and all of season 2 were just awful in comparison to the rest of season 1. I just am not convinced that I could sit through a third installment. Loved The Night Of, and felt that True Detective should have been like that.

Was about to post the same thing. Season 1 Finale tainted the whole season. Season 2 was a complete mess.

Enough tonight to suck me back in. Enjoyed it. Had much more the season one feel to it. Definite potential. We will see where it goes.

I thought it got off to a great start. I'm in. I think the casting is amazing. Not many big names but everyone, even the smaller parts, are really good.

Agree on the casting. I know Ali is pretty hot now but in general they seem to have gone back to the HBO model of creating characters and then casting them with veteran character actors instead of staffing up with big names and building around them like they did in season two.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
It's way too slow getting going.

Have to agree with this somewhat. Its moving fairly slowly. Quite honestly I don't think the current day timeline adds much. The story is strong enough and well enough done I think it would be better if they focused on the original 1980 timeline with a little 1990. Little too much family drama in the last two timelines for my taste.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Have to agree with this somewhat. Its moving fairly slowly. Quite honestly I don't think the current day timeline adds much. The story is strong enough and well enough done I think it would be better if they focused on the original 1980 timeline with a little 1990. Little too much family drama in the last two timelines for my taste.

It’s obviously pointing toward solving it right n the current timeline. It is crawling a bit, but I’m really enjoying it.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't the DA say that they wanted to re-open the case and prove that they "got the right man" the first time. They mentioned vindicate, so we're assuming here that someone is serving time (middle phase of timeline, not present time) for the boy's death. If so, who is it? The Native American gentlemen or the HS kid? Purple Hays already said he didn't think HS kid did it while they were interrogating.

Surely the Native American guy is in jail after blowing up those rednecks with a claymore mine. I don't know maybe not. Not sure if Make My Day laws cover military ordinance.

I feel weird about this season. I think it is fantastic TV but I’m not sure I want to admit cause season 1 was so great and season 2 was so bad.

I feel like if this was the premiere season everyone would be talking about it. You hardly see anything about it in the media.

Last edited:
Right now IMO it's Season 1>>>Season 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Season 2. Cohle and Hart were more compelling characters than anyone they've put forth this season but I still think it's really good. I knew Ali was good but I've been surprised how much I've liked Dorff. At some point I may make myself go back and watch Season 2 again. Going in with pitiful expectations may change my perception of that season.

Right now IMO it's Season 1>>>Season 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Season 2. Cohle and Hart were more compelling characters than anyone they've put forth this season but I still think it's really good. I knew Ali was good but I've been surprised how much I've liked Dorff. At some point I may make myself go back and watch Season 2 again. Going in with pitiful expectations may change my perception of that season.

Season one was as good as it gets, until the last episode. Again I’ve really enjoyed this season.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't the DA say that they wanted to re-open the case and prove that they "got the right man" the first time. They mentioned vindicate, so we're assuming here that someone is serving time (middle phase of timeline, not present time) for the boy's death. If so, who is it? The Native American gentlemen or the HS kid? Purple Hays already said he didn't think HS kid did it while they were interrogating.

I don't think the person convicted in the first time is either one of them. Could be wrong but neither one of them appear to be serious suspect. The priest is an interesting wild card. They haven't paid much attention to the peeping uncle who would seem like the number one suspect to me. They found him dead in timeline number three after I thought they said he disappeared after timeline two which could mean he was convicted and cleared. The guy in the house next to where they found the toys who was so defensive is also a candidate.

Has the native American guy actually blown anyone up yet? I thought the police got there just as they were busting the door down.

I don't think the person convicted in the first time is either one of them. Could be wrong but neither one of them appear to be serious suspect. The priest is an interesting wild card. They haven't paid much attention to the peeping uncle who would seem like the number one suspect to me. They found him dead in timeline number three after I thought they said he disappeared after timeline two which could mean he was convicted and cleared. The guy in the house next to where they found the toys who was so defensive is also a candidate.

Has the native American guy actually blown anyone up yet? I thought the police got there just as they were busting the door down.
He had the door trip wired. We shall see.

He had the door trip wired. We shall see.

The guy kicked in the door so unless that claymore was a dud, he dead.

Didn't the episode end with an explosion too? Can't remember. I do know I wanted to see that crazy dude defend his house in a firefight and was disappointed they cut to credits.

The guy kicked in the door so unless that claymore was a dud, he dead.

Didn't the episode end with an explosion too? Can't remember. I do know I wanted to see that crazy dude defend his house in a firefight and was disappointed they cut to credits.
Yes, it seemed like there was an explosion.

Does anyone else struggle to understand Hays at times? Thinking about rewatching with subtitles lol

Only thing I don't watch with subtitles is sports. Every show or movie I'm into I watch with subtitles. I started doing this about a year ago and haven't looked back.

I couldn't sleep the other night and watched Goodfellas for probably the 50th time and first time with subtitles. I never realized Pesci was screaming "You bought your ***** button!" to Batts as he was leaving the bar pissed off.

So know we know it Woodward (the native American) who took the fall in timeline one. One thing that confuses me they keep talking about wrongly convicted or his family trying to get the conviction overturned. There can't be conviction if he died prior to being charged. They just blamed his and closed the case.

The new mystery is what did Hayes and Roland do that they "have to live with". I read a couple of recaps and there seems to be some thought they may have killed either the perverted cousin or the cop who disappeared in timeline two. There is also the pedophile they kidnapped and beat up in the first or second episode. Did they kill him? I thought they just turned him in for parole violations.

Does anyone else struggle to understand Hays at times? Thinking about rewatching with subtitles lol

We watch the whole thing with subtitles. Also do that on anything that is British. Ali is a low talker.

So know we know it Woodward (the native American) who took the fall in timeline one. One thing that confuses me they keep talking about wrongly convicted or his family trying to get the conviction overturned. There can't be conviction if he died prior to being charged. They just blamed his and closed the case.

The new mystery is what did Hayes and Roland do that they "have to live with". I read a couple of recaps and there seems to be some thought they may have killed either the perverted cousin or the cop who disappeared in timeline two. There is also the pedophile they kidnapped and beat up in the first or second episode. Did they kill him? I thought they just turned him in for parole violations.

I think they definitely killed the perv cousin. I'm not sure about the cop that planted the evidence. My first thought was whoever had him plant the evidence had him whacked but based on Hayes' reaction over being asked about him maybe they offed him too. I don't think they killed the pedophile but who knows.

Reactions: FMPoke
Well we found the pink room although it doesn't look like its going to do "Dad" any good. Also it doesn't look like Hays and West killed either the pervert cousin nor the missing officer. Maybe the Dad did both. Also the dead eye guy showed up but I'm not sure she realizes the significance. Once again more questions than answers. Two episodes left and they've got a lot of loose ends. Much like season one it feels like there are a lot of red herrings and there will be a lot left unanswered in the end.

Just caught up... I'm really enjoying the show. Good cast, good performances.

I like the slow burn mystery...similar to the first season in that respect. I also like that the show is exploring the personal difficulties of the characters...especially Hayes, but also West. I also like the personal struggles & complexities. I like when conflicts happen, and you can see both sides.... lots of gray area. It allows for more depth and interpretations, etc.

And like someone else mentioned above...obviously Ali has been really good, but I have been surprised by how much I've enjoyed Stephen Dorff (sp?).

Anyway...I'm interested in how this all plays out.... what did Hayes & West do that was so bad?

Reactions: FMPoke
To date, season 3 is better than 1.

There, I said it. Come at me.

To date, season 3 is better than 1.

There, I said it. Come at me.

Its close. Season One has the advantage of being completely new and different from anything else out there. They have definitely retrenched themselves with season three. We see how the finale goes. To me that was the weakest part of season one..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT