ADVERTISEMENT

Tonkawa Nation.....

Sunburnt Indian

Heisman Candidate
Nov 7, 2001
Edge of the Comancheria
Leaving the 28th for a visit with the Tonkawa brothers whom I haven't seen since the Garden of Eden wilted. Then on to Fort Collins, CO to visit with younger daughter. Freshman granddaughter is home from Syracuse U.

I just subscribed to XM Radio for the trip so I can listen to barely perceptable separation fifties and sixties stereo gold oldies. It was rare those oldies were recorded in stereo but those that were I like to listen. I'll cancel after return. I used to subscribe regularly when XM awarded music channels with greater bandwith for much more noticeable stereo separation. But XM added more channels and allocated bandwith to new channels, degrading current channels. Jerks!!!

I must check out Fort Collins city-owned all fiber Connexion Internet Service. Son-in-law works a lot from home and is really pleased.

There used to be 50's and 60's oldies AM & FM stations in about every sizeable city in America. Now they've mostly disappeared. Not a whole lot of advertising dollars are generated by targeting the old and the dead demographic. It's quite sobering.

A lot of that music history is dying too. I've had discussions with several young engineers in their 20's, and they've never heard of the musicians and bands who were at one time on top of the charts. Never heard of the movies we loved. Don't know who RFK was, or that he was murdered. Don't know crap about WWI or WWII or the Korean War. "Who the heck is Laurel and Hardy?" "You had computers back in the 80's and 90's?" I give up. I'll work out the last seven months of my career, then go home. For good.

Cancelling Sirius XM is more difficult than removing a hundred ticks from your own head. It's the #1 reason why I won't subscribe anymore. They screwed around with me - and lost me forever.

There used to be 50's and 60's oldies AM & FM stations in about every sizeable city in America. Now they've mostly disappeared. Not a whole lot of advertising dollars are generated by targeting the old and the dead demographic. It's quite sobering.

A lot of that music history is dying too. I've had discussions with several young engineers in their 20's, and they've never heard of the musicians and bands who were at one time on top of the charts. Never heard of the movies we loved. Don't know who RFK was, or that he was murdered. Don't know crap about WWI or WWII or the Korean War. "Who the heck is Laurel and Hardy?" "You had computers back in the 80's and 90's?" I give up. I'll work out the last seven months of my career, then go home. For good.

Cancelling Sirius XM is more difficult than removing a hundred ticks from your own head. It's the #1 reason why I won't subscribe anymore. They screwed around with me - an ad lost me forever.

I remember the days when you landed on AM 1520 KOMA. Lucky I grew up with that out my backdoor but remember going on a camping trip to Yellowstone. We spent the night in Cody, WY waiting on our campsite reservation to open at Madison Junction. Folks had the radio on in the car. I reached over and turned the dial and there it was clear as a bell. A friend who grew up in Ft Benton, MT mentioned one night over drinks they listened to KOMA in the summer at night when making trips to Great Falls with dates.

Last edited:
I remember the days when you landed on AM 1520 KOMA. Lucky I grew up with that out my backdoor but remember going on a camping trip to Yellowstone. We spent the night in Cody, WY waiting on our campsite reservation to open at Madison Junction. Folks had the radio on in the car. I reached over and turned the dial and there it was clear as a bell. A friend who grew up in Ft Benton, MT mentioned one night over drinks they listened to KOMA in the summer at night when making trips to Grest Falls with dates.

My cousins and friends in El Paso and Las Cruces absolutely loved KOMA. It was their go-to station.

Leaving the 28th for a visit with the Tonkawa brothers whom I haven't seen since the Garden of Eden wilted. Then on to Fort Collins, CO to visit with younger daughter. Freshman granddaughter is home from Syracuse U.

I just subscribed to XM Radio for the trip so I can listen to barely perceptable separation fifties and sixties stereo gold oldies. It was rare those oldies were recorded in stereo but those that were I like to listen. I'll cancel after return. I used to subscribe regularly when XM awarded music channels with greater bandwith for much more noticeable stereo separation. But XM added more channels and allocated bandwith to new channels, degrading current channels. Jerks!!!

I must check out Fort Collins city-owned all fiber Connexion Internet Service. Son-in-law works a lot from home and is really pleased.
Safe travels brother.

KOOOMA in OKLAHOOOOMA!
I've listened to KOMA 1520 at Pearl Harbor. In the AF, I listened to KOMA at Fairchild AFB when the giant 1510 in Spokane went off from midnight to 5 AM. I worked the grave yard shift.

KOMA's 3 Western Electric antennas at Moore went directional night time with main lobe to Seattle. The 2015 Moore tornado blew them down.

Legend has it, engineers would crank the Western Electric antennas up to their full 250,000 watts so the Vietnam doggies could listen in. The FCC permits US AM stations to broadcast maximum 50,000 watts.

No one will hear KOMA night time in Fort Smith.

Cancelling Sirius XM is more difficult than removing a hundred ticks from your own head. It's the #1 reason why I won't subscribe anymore. They screwed around with me - and lost me forever.
I'm not in wife's Jeep enough to make listening to Fox Business on ch 113 worth a subscription.

Waco's oldies station is now playing eighties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT