ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo

I guess maybe I could have worded things a little better. Greatest ever debates are tough because some people favor accolades and some favor peak ability (including who they beat). Here's how a few greats finished up in college...

- Sanderson is the best collegiate folkstyle wrestler. 1 loss during his true freshman year, then undefeated, but with no World/Olympic titles. 4 NCAA, 0 World/Olympic in college.

- Burroughs won his first World title after he graduated, so he ended 2 NCAA, 0 World/Olympic.

- John won his first world title in '87, after his junior year. But prior to that he beat Issaev, who won the '86 Worlds. And he had also beaten Alexeev, the '83 & 85 champ. That's 2 pretty good wins. His first Olympic title came after he graduated, so he ended 2 NCAA, 1 World, 0 Olympic.

- Uetake undefeated 3x champ that wasn't allowed to wrestle as a freshman. Ended up 3 NCAA, 0 World, 1 Olympic (no idea who he beat).

- Snyder wrestled 197 as true freshman then took off as a heavy/97 kg. Also beat Sadulaev, one of the greatest ever, while still in college. 3 NCAA, 2 World, 1 Olympic. Not too shabby.

- Steveson has only 1 NCAA title so far. But he's been untouchable for 2+ years. Has a win over Petriashvili (3x World champ) and Akgul (Olympic champ, 2x World champ). Technically he could end up a 3x NCAA champ, but he likely goes pro now. Right now he's 1 NCAA, 0 World, 1 Olympic.

I guess maybe I could have worded things a little better. Greatest ever debates are tough because some people favor accolades and some favor peak ability (including who they beat). Here's how a few greats finished up in college...

- Sanderson is the best collegiate folkstyle wrestler. 1 loss during his true freshman year, then undefeated, but with no World/Olympic titles. 4 NCAA, 0 World/Olympic in college.

- Burroughs won his first World title after he graduated, so he ended 2 NCAA, 0 World/Olympic.

- John won his first world title in '87, after his junior year. But prior to that he beat Issaev, who won the '86 Worlds. And he had also beaten Alexeev, the '83 & 85 champ. That's 2 pretty good wins. His first Olympic title came after he graduated, so he ended 2 NCAA, 1 World, 0 Olympic.

- Uetake undefeated 3x champ that wasn't allowed to wrestle as a freshman. Ended up 3 NCAA, 0 World, 1 Olympic (no idea who he beat).

- Snyder wrestled 197 as true freshman then took off as a heavy/97 kg. Also beat Sadulaev, one of the greatest ever, while still in college. 3 NCAA, 2 World, 1 Olympic. Not too shabby.

- Steveson has only 1 NCAA title so far. But he's been untouchable for 2+ years. Has a win over Petriashvili (3x World champ) and Akgul (Olympic champ, 2x World champ). Technically he could end up a 3x NCAA champ, but he likely goes pro now. Right now he's 1 NCAA, 0 World, 1 Olympic.
To your point, his upside is crazy. Not all the greats hit their stride right away. He was very young his first two years in college. It’s unfortunate that we most likely will lose a potential future great in the sport

Reactions: Wrassler17
Tom, I apologize as I had forgotten about the delays before the match. I stand corrected,. BTW, I was in no way implying that Dake is the Goat,but only the best wrestler on our team in 2021. I think when you have to go through both Alex and Jordan to make the team Dake deserves the respect. As far as best of all time John was dominant in Freestyle and Sanderson dominant as a collegian. I still have to go with Uetake for both styles but I realize every one has their favorite and their opinion. Mike Sheets was the most dominant wrestler on top I have ever seen but could not convert that to free style but he is still my favorite wrestler to watch.

The expectation would be a lot of medals. He made a come back in 2011 at the age of 32 and lost in the bronze medal match.

Yeah, I was talking about results while still in college. Sanderson graduated in 2002, took silver in 2003, and then won gold in 2004. Would have been interesting to see what he did if he wrestled a few more years.

Mmmm.... I'm really trying to be nice.... I just have to ask wtf difference does it make to win a gold medal one year out of college vs one year in?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Mmmm.... I'm really trying to be nice.... I just have to ask wtf difference does it make to win a gold medal one year out of college vs one year in?
Is it more impressive when a college student wins a gold medal or a non college student? Who is able to be fully committed to training versus being a college student? I think that is why it was separated into those categories.

Try being smart too while you're at it.

The discussion is about accomplishments while still in college. Don't see any Nebraska fans here whining about JB.

BTW, 2004 is 2 years after 2002 not 1. The smart thing might be tough for you.

Try being smart too while you're at it.

The discussion is about accomplishments while still in college. Don't see any Nebraska fans here whining about JB.

BTW, 2004 is 2 years after 2002 not 1. The smart thing might be tough for you.

Cael was in college in 2000, pretty much the same point in his career as Gable Steveson is now. Did Cael try to qualify for the 2000 Olympics?

Cael was in college in 2000, pretty much the same point in his career as Gable Steveson is now. Did Cael try to qualify for the 2000 Olympics?
Pretty sure Cael lost early at the 2000 trials. Gable is far better at freestyle, don't think anyone would argue.

I read a Sanderson interview a while back. He said his go to shot (ankle pick) wasn't great for freestyle. Said ideally you would avoid collar ties with international wrestlers, particularly Russians. Interestingly, his win in 2004 came against a South Korean, while his losses in 2003 & 2011 came against Russians. John also commented that Snyder was having trouble with his ankle pick against Sadulaev in the final.

I think Sanderson would have been successful if he kept wrestling after 2004, but he would have had to make some adjustments.

Reactions: OSUMatFan
Cael won four straight titles in college and was not defeated in those four years. Uetake was completely dominant and was rarely taken down and won an Olympic medal in college. Yet only allowed to compete for three years, but dominant the whole time. I think it is between them, but considering Gable (a great wrestler), but only a one time champion is pretty tough to do. Cael was fun to watch, but I would go with Uetake as the best college wrestler. There was a guy from my hometown (Grady Sells) that started his first year and was very competitive, but Uetake replaced him from probably having a National Championship.

Reactions: birdman1117
I found the wrestling payouts.
Gold- $250,000
Silver-$50,000
Bronze-$25,000
Here are the payouts by USAW as you mentioned. For comparison, Bill Zadick said a couple of years ago that the Russians get $500K for winning a World title and $1M for winning an Olympic title. Said they also get cars/apartments/pensions as well.

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT