ADVERTISEMENT

Time to bust up Google?

Did you really think Google would be able to break china censorship policies? And do you think that they are going to achieve their growth targets without China? 2+2

Did you really think Google would be able to break china censorship policies? And do you think that they are going to achieve their growth targets without China? 2+2

Is that a real question?

Is that a real question?

They are rhetorical questions. But if you logically answer both questions, then you already knew that Google would cave to censorship rules of various countries in order to compete in those countries. I know it hurts the little feelers of some of their millennial employees, and they certainly don't advertise that they do this, but in the end they are just another giant corporation who is driven by share price management decisions. Share price says keep growing, and thus China here we come.

Reactions: CBradSmith
They are rhetorical questions. But if you logically answer both questions, then you already knew that Google would cave to censorship rules of various countries in order to compete in those countries. I know it hurts the little feelers of some of their millennial employees, and they certainly don't advertise that they do this, but in the end they are just another giant corporation who is driven by share price management decisions. Share price says keep growing, and thus China here we come.

It is funny to see them in their stupid beanies enjoying the liberty they pretend trump will strip them of debating about the soul of the country while getting rich participating in keeping 1 billion people from information that would allow them to completely think for themselves.

Out of principal I would hope @davidallen would walk out.

pub·lic u·til·i·ty
ˈpəblik yo͞oˈtilədē/
noun
noun: public utility; plural noun: public utilities
  1. an organization supplying a community with electricity, gas, water, or sewerage.

Google and Facebook could be argued are common carriers and should be required to be content agnostic. Which is the point of the OP

pub·lic u·til·i·ty
ˈpəblik yo͞oˈtilədē/
noun
noun: public utility; plural noun: public utilities
  1. an organization supplying a community with electricity, gas, water, or sewerage.

For a long time, SW Bell and AT&T were considered utilities and they provided none of the above.

I do find it strange that the party (Dems) who are most up in arms about protecting Net Neutrality are happy as a lark with monolithic (and monopolistic) content aggregation companies filtering and censoring data of their choosing. Seems like mutually exclusive positions.

I do find it strange that the party (Dems) who are most up in arms about protecting Net Neutrality are happy as a lark with monolithic (and monopolistic) content aggregation companies filtering and censoring data of their choosing. Seems like mutually exclusive positions.

It's not strange. (I know you know that.)

Reactions: aix_xpert
If you don't believe the information is factual based on the source then do what a normal person with just average intellegence would do and point out the the inaccurate information.

In other words quit responding like a moron.

I’ll do as I please...and questioning the accuracy of Breitbart isn’t exactly rocket surgery lol

I’ll do as I please...and questioning the accuracy of Breitbart isn’t exactly rocket surgery lol
You've got nothing. Got it.

Give me just one thing in that article that isn't factual and I'll start an entire thread devoted to telling everyone how smart you are. Until then you're just a lame moron who wouldn't know truth if it bit you on the ass.

Do you even have a position regarding Google enacting censorship and becoming more of a content site rather than a platform?

They’re not an ISP they can censor if they feel like it. Do you use parental controls for your kids’ browsing and TV channels?

I get 10-15 Google Robocalls a day. Each call starts with, "Don't hang up. Your Google listing..." and that's as far as it gets before I hang up. Two days ago, I pressed #1 just to tell them not to call me again and got a live person who told me that my web site was going to be de-listed and marked as a closed business...unless, I paid a one time fee of $179 to ensure never receiving these calls. I asked if the person was an employee of Google and didn't get a direct answer. I asked if they would mail me information detailing the subject matter concerning the $179 fee for my review with a contact number to reply to. I will be shocked if I receive anything in the mailbox.

If this is, in fact, coming from Google, then paying to be found (or not) in the Google search box can be construed as censorship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT