ADVERTISEMENT

This Ties it All Up with a Nice Big Bow

Experience, observation, data analysis, and human physiology. I'd be more than happy to elaborate if you'd like. It's rather long winded.

I have wondered if a capture/stress physiology training for law enforcement would be beneficial after reading many of your posts on this subject. African Americans do have a much higher rate of hypertension and other co-factors that can contribute to death via restraint. It sounds almost like a version of capture myopathy that can happen in prey animals with a massive dump in certain chemicals that leads to cardiac arrest.

Reactions: Medic007
I have wondered if a capture/stress physiology training for law enforcement would be beneficial after reading many of your posts on this subject. African Americans do have a much higher rate of hypertension and other co-factors that can contribute to death via restraint. It sounds almost like a version of capture myopathy that can happen in prey animals with a massive dump in certain chemicals that leads to cardiac arrest.
I'll toot my own horn on this subject. After being directly involved with more than one in custody death, my medical director and I sought to make ourselves experts. Since then, our data collection and observations led us to train our paramedics, law enforcement officers, and dispatchers in the presentation of sympathetic nervous system storm patients. That led to a change in the initial response from a law enforcement emergency to a medical emergency. We haven't had an in custody death where paramedics were involved in 11 years.

Experience, observation, data analysis, and human physiology. I'd be more than happy to elaborate if you'd like. It's rather long winded.

Sorry. My post was clear as mud.

What I meant was, if you can’t detect lactic acidosis via typical post-mortem examination, how do you determine if it was a factor or the ultimate cause of death?

I would have expected most unusual physiological events contributing to death to be detectable in an autopsy.

Sorry. My post was clear as mud.

What I meant was, if you can’t detect lactic acidosis via typical post-mortem examination, how do you determine if it was a factor or the ultimate cause of death?

I would have expected most unusual physiological events contributing to death to be detectable in an autopsy.
Lactic acidosis is a feature of inadequate tissue perfusion, cellular metabolism in absence of oxygen. Any dead person will present with lactic acidosis because of the cessation of blood flow. That makes distinguishing lactic acidosis as a cause of cardiac arrest impossible unless you have pre and post lab values to compare. Almost no in custody deaths have had that luxury of study, Floyd's death included.

Last edited:
I'll toot my own horn on this subject. After being directly involved with more than one in custody death, my medical director and I sought to make ourselves experts. Since then, our data collection and observations led us to train our paramedics, law enforcement officers, and dispatchers in the presentation of sympathetic nervous system storm patients. That led to a change in the initial response from a law enforcement emergency to a medical emergency. We haven't had an in custody death where paramedics were involved in 11 years.

That is just awesome. Great work!

Reactions: iasooner1
That is just awesome. Great work!
Thanks. It was the logical thing to do. We've been training law enforcement in Oklahoma for about 10 years now that continuing to pile on someone who is already controlled and in custody in order to exert some sort of complete control is dangerous and can be deadly. When they're cuffed and on the ground, what danger are they?

The majority of these cases present as excited delirium due to stimulant drugs, but not all of them. All it takes is activation of the sympathetic nervous system, a struggle, and restricted breathing so it can happen to anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT