ADVERTISEMENT

This should be required reading re: Covid, lockdowns, etc.

thetruth

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
From a Wall Street Journal report:

Now She Tells Us​

CDC director Rochelle Walensky suddenly emphasizes relative risks.​

By
James Freeman Follow

Jan. 10, 2022 2:43 pm ET

im-464777

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, testifies before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committee on Capitol Hill in November.​

Amid a mounting pile of unfulfilled Biden promises on Covid, from his pledge to shut down the virus to his assurance of abundant testing, the president’s favorite experts are suddenly sharing relevant facts that were too inconvenient to emphasize during his predecessor’s administration. Last week this column noted that two years, $4 trillion of federal debt and millions of isolated children too late, White House Covid czar Dr. Anthony Fauci has discovered the massive costs of pandemic restrictions. Now we have Dr. Rochelle Walensky, head of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, implicitly making the case for a strategy she once disparaged.
On Friday, ABC’s “Good Morning America” program touted research showing that Covid vaccines are highly effective in preventing severe illness and then asked the CDC director: “Given that, is it time to start rethinking how we’re living with this virus, that it’s probably here to stay?” Dr. Walensky responded:
The overwhelming number of deaths, over 75%, occurred in people who had at least 4 comorbidities. So really these are people who were unwell to begin with and yes, really encouraging news in the context of Omicron.
Dr. Walensky seems to have been trying to make the point that the vast majority of people do not face as great a risk as one would think from listening to Covid-era apocalyptic forecasts from people like her.
Sure, it may be hard to forget her unscientific March 2021 declaration at a White House briefing:

I’m going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom.

Then there was her decision that the threat could somehow be addressed by issuing an unconstitutional ban on evictions. But if Dr. Walensky has since gotten a hold of herself and is now trying to enhance understanding of the threats people face, that would be progress.
Her CDC website notes that close to 95% of death certificates listing Covid as a cause also mention other causes along with Covid and states:
For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 4.0 additional conditions or causes per death.
Unfortunately, in her Friday ABC interview, Dr. Walensky’s phrasing of the “encouraging news” about modest risk for many Americans sparked an online backlash as some interpreted the remarks as callous toward those at high risk. Kamau Bell of HBO and CNN tweeted, “I counted up my comorbidities. Now I can let my family know that if I die from COVID it is ‘encouraging.’ ”
On Sunday Dr. Walensky tweeted:
We must protect people with comorbidities from severe #COVID19. I went into medicine – HIV specifically – and public health to protect our most at-risk. CDC is taking steps to protect those at highest risk, incl. those w/ chronic health conditions, disabilities & older adults.
Fair enough, but this recognition that some face great risk from Covid while others face much lower risk has been obvious from the start. In response, a group of accomplished and wise scientists crafted the Great Barrington Declaration in 2020 to promote a ”focused protection” strategy—taking great care to shield those at high risk while allowing the vast majority who are at low risk to continue working, learning and doing all the things that sustain life. This sensible prioritization sounds very much like what Dr. Walensky is suggesting in her Sunday tweet.
Yet back in 2020, when President Trump found the idea appealing Dr. Walensky joined the politically correct establishment in dismissing the Great Barrington doctors and researchers as operating on the academic fringe.
Whether she ever retracts her 2020 comments or not, Dr. Walensky should now act on her new insight, focus on protecting the vulnerable, and stop demanding ideal conditions and masks in schools, where children are not at great risk.

A number of online commenters responded to last Monday’s column by claiming that it was unfair to criticize Dr. Fauci’s disastrous lockdown medicine with the benefit of hindsight. But this column was a lockdown skeptic from the very start of the pandemic, warning as early as March 10, 2020, that any proposed virus countermeasures should be subject to analysis of costs and benefits. The refusal of officials like Dr. Fauci to consider the staggering costs and questionable benefits of their prescriptions will haunt today’s children for the rest of their lives.

Signatories​

While the authors' website claims that over 14,000 scientists, 40,000 medical practitioners, and more than 780,000 members of the public signed the declaration,[37][non-primary source needed] this list – which anyone could sign online and which required merely clicking a checkbox to claim the status of "scientist" – contains numerous clearly-fake names, including "Mr Banana Rama", "Dr Johnny Bananas", "Dr Johnny Fartpants", "Dr Person Fakename", "Harold Shipman", "Professor Notaf Uckingclue", and "Prof Cominic Dummings".[38][39][40] More than 100 psychotherapists, numerous homeopaths, physiotherapists, massage therapists, and other non-relevant people were found to be signatories, including a performer of Khoomei – a Mongolian style of overtone singing – described as a "therapeutic sound practitioner".[39] The Independent noted that the false signatures put its claims about the breadth of its support in doubt, adding that several within the medical and scientific community were skeptical it enjoyed the support it claimed.[40] In response, Bhattacharya said that they "do not have the resources to audit each signature," and expressed regret for the fact that people had "abused our trust" by adding fake names, but reiterated his belief in broad support for its message based on the volume of correspondence he said he received.[40]

• Haha
Reactions: Marocain Poke
From a Wall Street Journal report:

Now She Tells Us​

CDC director Rochelle Walensky suddenly emphasizes relative risks.​

By
James Freeman Follow

Jan. 10, 2022 2:43 pm ET

im-464777

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, testifies before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committee on Capitol Hill in November.​

Amid a mounting pile of unfulfilled Biden promises on Covid, from his pledge to shut down the virus to his assurance of abundant testing, the president’s favorite experts are suddenly sharing relevant facts that were too inconvenient to emphasize during his predecessor’s administration. Last week this column noted that two years, $4 trillion of federal debt and millions of isolated children too late, White House Covid czar Dr. Anthony Fauci has discovered the massive costs of pandemic restrictions. Now we have Dr. Rochelle Walensky, head of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, implicitly making the case for a strategy she once disparaged.
On Friday, ABC’s “Good Morning America” program touted research showing that Covid vaccines are highly effective in preventing severe illness and then asked the CDC director: “Given that, is it time to start rethinking how we’re living with this virus, that it’s probably here to stay?” Dr. Walensky responded:

Dr. Walensky seems to have been trying to make the point that the vast majority of people do not face as great a risk as one would think from listening to Covid-era apocalyptic forecasts from people like her.
Sure, it may be hard to forget her unscientific March 2021 declaration at a White House briefing:

Then there was her decision that the threat could somehow be addressed by issuing an unconstitutional ban on evictions. But if Dr. Walensky has since gotten a hold of herself and is now trying to enhance understanding of the threats people face, that would be progress.
Her CDC website notes that close to 95% of death certificates listing Covid as a cause also mention other causes along with Covid and states:

Unfortunately, in her Friday ABC interview, Dr. Walensky’s phrasing of the “encouraging news” about modest risk for many Americans sparked an online backlash as some interpreted the remarks as callous toward those at high risk. Kamau Bell of HBO and CNN tweeted, “I counted up my comorbidities. Now I can let my family know that if I die from COVID it is ‘encouraging.’ ”
On Sunday Dr. Walensky tweeted:

Fair enough, but this recognition that some face great risk from Covid while others face much lower risk has been obvious from the start. In response, a group of accomplished and wise scientists crafted the Great Barrington Declaration in 2020 to promote a ”focused protection” strategy—taking great care to shield those at high risk while allowing the vast majority who are at low risk to continue working, learning and doing all the things that sustain life. This sensible prioritization sounds very much like what Dr. Walensky is suggesting in her Sunday tweet.
Yet back in 2020, when President Trump found the idea appealing Dr. Walensky joined the politically correct establishment in dismissing the Great Barrington doctors and researchers as operating on the academic fringe.
Whether she ever retracts her 2020 comments or not, Dr. Walensky should now act on her new insight, focus on protecting the vulnerable, and stop demanding ideal conditions and masks in schools, where children are not at great risk.

A number of online commenters responded to last Monday’s column by claiming that it was unfair to criticize Dr. Fauci’s disastrous lockdown medicine with the benefit of hindsight. But this column was a lockdown skeptic from the very start of the pandemic, warning as early as March 10, 2020, that any proposed virus countermeasures should be subject to analysis of costs and benefits. The refusal of officials like Dr. Fauci to consider the staggering costs and questionable benefits of their prescriptions will haunt today’s children for the rest of their lives.

I did Nazi that coming.

Stopped reading when he, once again, misquoted her “75%” statement. She said 75% of people who had gotten vaccines and died have 4 or more co-morbidities. That’s a huge distinction wouldn’t that continues to be left out, and it’s pretty obvious as to why.

Reactions: ClintonDavidScott
Stopped reading when he, once again, misquoted her “75%” statement. She said 75% of people who had gotten vaccines and died have 4 or more co-morbidities. That’s a huge distinction wouldn’t that continues to be left out, and it’s pretty obvious as to why.
I have a feeling that number isn’t as radically different as you think it is. EVERY doctor I’ve talked says there is a link if you’re vaccinated or not.

I have a feeling that number isn’t as radically different as you think it is. EVERY doctor I’ve talked says there is a link if you’re vaccinated or not.
That may or may not be true (I’d venture to say more around 2 comorbidities, but don’t know the data), but it doesn’t change the fact the first quote for the first argument of this guys article was purposely used completely incorrectly. Kind of throws the whole article into question.

Reactions: ClintonDavidScott
That may or may not be true (I’d venture to say more around 2 comorbidities, but don’t know the data), but it doesn’t change the fact the first quote for the first argument of this guys article was purposely used completely incorrectly. Kind of throws the whole article into question.
Angry to some degree, but by that standard there is almost nothing readable in our current state of media. It’s hard to ignore the rest of what he says though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT