ADVERTISEMENT

The Mid-range Shot

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
I sure would be excited if we had guys that could hit the mid-range shot with some consistency. Averette, Evans and Forte can all hit that shot, but don't shoot it often (probably because all are short and need a lot of space to shoot it with any confidence).

In the BU game, that shot was open all night. Their zone does a good job of pressuring on the 3 point line while packing guys into the lane to prevent easy scores at the basket. The holes are about 10-15 feet away from the basket. Solomon took a handful of wide open shots from there, but only hit 1 (I think). On Carroll's first basket, he shot a wide open jumper from about 12 feet away, and hit nothing but net. Shortly after that, he had a wide open shot from that exact spot, and chose to pull the ball back down and drive to the basket. He traveled. Had he shot that, and made it, who knows how the game plays out...

In today's college basketball, the majority of players don't shoot the mid-range jumper. It is all about scoring at the rim or shooting the 3. Defenses hardly even need to account for the areas in between, because so few players will shoot from there. I would love it if HCBU would stress incorporating the short jumper into our offense.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News