ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of The Cowboys: Future Line Ups and Targets

i'm not as smart as Blair or as connected, but i gave it the ol' college try ;)

For some reason I had deluded myself into thinking last year we did better than 10th place at NCAAs until I saw it in there.

Also, is Rin at 141 just your guess or is there a specific reason you have him there. A lot of us assumed Hughes bumps to 141 25/26 with Rin coming into 133 after a RS. With Taylor, should we suspect less weight cutting?

Reactions: AtownPoke
For some reason I had deluded myself into thinking last year we did better than 10th place at NCAAs until I saw it in there.

Also, is Rin at 141 just your guess or is there a specific reason you have him there. A lot of us assumed Hughes bumps to 141 25/26 with Rin coming into 133 after a RS. With Taylor, should we suspect less weight cutting?
Hope so.

This is as good a place as any to drop this. A poster on the PSU board (McScoreley) provided his thoughts with regard to a podcast between Willie and Adam Feller.

"Addressed a few things: They think DT killed the press conference (and he did) They think he's doing the right things immediately, building the RTC and setting culture, not going for an overnight portal fix. He isn't focused on facilities at all (doesn't seem to have been one his requests)

They don't think anyone that is an established starter at PSU leaves (no direct sources like a Levi/Kasak telling them "no way" but just a pretty strong guess). They said maybe a Ryder/Sealey leaves if they aren't the starter since DT can be an "extension of Cael's system that they committed to now"

Added they don't think it will happen overnight for David. They said Cael took 5 years to master his system before he won his first title and he also didn't have a prime Gable to walk in and compete with. They also added Cael now knows way more than he did when he first started. Let's not forget, Cael won 3 Big 12 titles in a row, grabbed 2 trophies (and a 5th) at Iowa State his first 3 years as a HC, which is nearly unprecendented at Iowa State. Kevin Jackson basically got 3rd with a team he inherited from Cael before falling out of the Top 20 basically."

Sounds like they are tempering expectations with the hope it goes faster.

This is as good a place as any to drop this. A poster on the PSU board (McScoreley) provided his thoughts with regard to a podcast between Willie and Adam Feller.

"Addressed a few things: They think DT killed the press conference (and he did) They think he's doing the right things immediately, building the RTC and setting culture, not going for an overnight portal fix. He isn't focused on facilities at all (doesn't seem to have been one his requests)

They don't think anyone that is an established starter at PSU leaves (no direct sources like a Levi/Kasak telling them "no way" but just a pretty strong guess). They said maybe a Ryder/Sealey leaves if they aren't the starter since DT can be an "extension of Cael's system that they committed to now"

Added they don't think it will happen overnight for David. They said Cael took 5 years to master his system before he won his first title and he also didn't have a prime Gable to walk in and compete with. They also added Cael now knows way more than he did when he first started. Let's not forget, Cael won 3 Big 12 titles in a row, grabbed 2 trophies (and a 5th) at Iowa State his first 3 years as a HC, which is nearly unprecendented at Iowa State. Kevin Jackson basically got 3rd with a team he inherited from Cael before falling out of the Top 20 basically."

I think it’s too early to tell on any of it but two things are true imo.
1)There is enough talent in Stillwater that we should win the Big12 and almost talk ourselves into expecting 2nd next year imo.
2)PSU is on a historic run and we shouldn’t expect to topple them year 1.

I don’t think it’s tempering expectations to say those things. DT truly pushing Cael will come down to his ability to show what he can do with these guys. He’ll recruit very well either way IMO, but there is level of recruiting dominance with elite transfers and generational talents that he’ll be able to secure / sign on if he can get guys like Troy, Tagen, BT, CC etc to really take that next step.

I think it’s too early to tell on any of it but two things are true imo.
1)There is enough talent in Stillwater that we should win the Big12 and almost talk ourselves into expecting 2nd next year imo.
2)PSU is on a historic run and we shouldn’t expect to topple them year 1.

I don’t think it’s tempering expectations to say those things. DT truly pushing Cael will come down to his ability to show what he can do with these guys imo. He’ll recruit very well either way IMO, but there is level of recruiting dominance with elite transfers and generational talents that he’ll be able to secure / sign on if he can get guys like Troy, Tagen, BT, CC etc to really take that next step.
The wrestling room itself is less important than the work being done IN the room. If he can show the guys being coached up with positive outcomes next March, then recruiting becomes a downhill race. It will take a couple years maybe to get to that point, and if successful, the train starts rolling down the tracks. DT concentrating on culture and the RTC is the right position to take.

The wrestling room itself is less important than the work being done IN the room. If he can show the guys being coached up with positive outcomes next March, then recruiting becomes a downhill race. It will take a couple years maybe to get to that point, and if successful, the train starts rolling down the tracks. DT concentrating on culture and the RTC is the right position to take.
Yep. Who he is and what he did, gets him in the room with every elite kid. What he does now is what will get those kids in his room

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennstate1985

I think there is a lot of truth in here in how DT will build his program. The big difference however is NIL and the portal which DT will utilize and that is something Cael didn’t have.

This could and probably will speed some things up for him here.

I think there is a lot of truth in here in how DT will build his program. The big difference however is NIL and the portal which DT will utilize and that is something Cael didn’t have.

This could and probably will speed some things up for him here.
Yeah, I'm not saying DT will win quicker than Cael but the situations are just night and day. Comparing much about college wrestling to 15 years ago is kind of pointless.

Well, we will be competing with one of the most dominant teams of all time. There is no way we will win as fast as Cael. I don’t have a problem with it. I love the process as much as anything else.

Well, we will be competing with one of the most dominant teams of all time. There is no way we will win as fast as Cael. I don’t have a problem with it. I love the process as much as anything else.
Exactly!

This is going to be fun and it should make March more fun. Like I mentioned earlier, viewing for the Finals has staggered sgnificantly, while the other sessions are doing well.

Parity is needed for the sport.

My thoughts are DT made a focus point of saying he’s going to work on building the RTC. Alirez is the best guy in the portal who has a GREAT upside in the freestyle scene. Wyatt would be on campus for 2 years but with only 1 year of college eligibility so not much RTC future except saying that 2nd year to help future Cowboys HWTs

Reactions: Pennstate1985
One disadvantage DT will have getting started, as compared to Cael and Brands, is that he won’t be bringing guys that committed to him as the head coach at a previous school with him.

Reactions: gyppoke
One disadvantage DT will have getting started, as compared to Cael and Brands, is that he won’t be bringing guys that committed to him as the head coach at a previous school with him.
But as you just acknowledged above regarding our recruiting, DT is walking into a much better sittuation roster wise than either of those 2 had in place when they started.

But as you just acknowledged above regarding our recruiting, DT is walking into a much better sittuation roster wise than either of those 2 had in place when they started.
I don’t know. Cael came to a PSU program that had Ruth, Wright and Molinaro. Six (individual) national championships with those three guys that he didn’t even recruit.

I don’t know Iowa pre-Brands as well, but they had Mark Perry.

Reactions: Fatty J
I don’t know. Cael came to a PSU program that had Ruth, Wright and Molinaro. Six (individual) national championships with those three guys that he didn’t even recruit.

I don’t know Iowa pre-Brands as well, but they had Mark Perry.
"Much better" was probably a little strong, but this team was expected to compete for #2 next year before the coaching changes. I have no idea what the expectations were for UI or PSU right before their coaching changes. Obviously both had some talent in place too.

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT