ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you all

A

anon_ph7vrsh7abnty

You've made it very clear I'm in way over my head.

I'm still going for it, but I'm going to seek out some locals to help bridge the massive gap.

Be prepared for many future tales of minor triumphs sprinkled on a big ol' humble pie.

Don't be discouraged. Just go into it knowing that it takes time, patience and experience to become proficient.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
You've made it very clear I'm in way over my head.

I'm still going for it, but I'm going to seek out some locals to help bridge the massive gap.

Be prepared for many future tales of minor triumphs sprinkled on a big ol' humble pie.
There is a Bass Pro Shops about 15 minutes away from where you live. Go to the Bass Pro website and look up the Clarksville store and see what hunting and fishing workshops they are putting on.

Bass Pro does a really good job of putting on instructional classes for people who are just beginning, or want some pointers to help brush up on their skills.

I live in Colorado and I partner with the CDOW putting on workshops for women and kids who are just getting started. But I also guide at least two new hunters every year for deer, elk and turkey. What I've seen, in my opinion, is that the number of people in your position is large and growing. For a couple of decades hunting was the domain of the hardcore only and that has contributed to a loss of generational knowledge that was passed down from dad's to son's.

Hunting has become en vogue for a segment of the population that would have eschewed the sport a few years ago, but due to movements in food consumption the number of people who are now wanting to learn has started to take off.

Basically, you are not alone. Check with the DNR in Indiana to see what classes or workshops they may have. Visit a local archery shop and visit with them too. You may be shocked at how willing and happy guys who have spent their lives shooting and hunting are to share their knowledge. Heck, most of them are dying for someone to stand still long enough to listen to all their stories and advice.

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
Crap. Am I a yuppie hunter?

Hangs head in shame.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Have those two words ever been used in the same sentence before?

No, I'm not sure what label to hang around your neck, but know that there are a lot of people in your boat and personally, I think it's great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT