ADVERTISEMENT

Texas trip 2011

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
Great trip to okstate28's lease this year. Went with my son, my dad, my brother, my nephew, Clayton M., Jeremy Offutt and his dad. JO's dad and Clayton had a competition for the person with the most health issues, and my dad and Mr. Offutt did goofy old guy stuff. And my 10 year-old broke his big-game seal with a 168-pound porker, and promptly shot a nice buck the next night. He's probably ruined as a hunter, shooting a decent, old 8 that quick, and about 15 minutes into the sit to boot. He'll shoot bigger bucks most likely but hopefully he doesn't have the idea this is easy. He's sat with me enough times that he should realize it's not easy. He shot my gun, and is currently a better shot than I can claim to be. The buck I shot was the widest I've ever shot and a really pretty 10.

Offutt's hog was smaller than my son's, but his head and especially snout was much bigger. Given that and coloration, I'm convinced he is or has Russian boar in him.

1185393.jpg

1185394.jpg

1185421.jpg

1185401.jpg

1185402.jpg

This post was edited on 12/13 9:31 PM by Jeff J.
This post was edited on 12/13 9:32 PM by Jeff J.
This post was edited on 12/13 9:34 PM by Jeff J.

Jeff, that is so awesome. My son decided he wanted to start turkey hunting last spring with me, and I had the best time of my life. I can't wait until he decides he wants to deer hunt.

Originally posted by Eden3408:
Jeff, that is so awesome. My son decided he wanted to start turkey hunting last spring with me, and I had the best time of my life. I can't wait until he decides he wants to deer hunt.

I hunt pretty hard and take it fairly serious, but man I tell ya, that experienced trumped them all. The buck showed up right in front of us walking across our view at about 150 yards. JT declined, saying he wasn't comfortable with the distance. I said "ok, let's see what he does." Promptly turned 90 degrees and started walking directly away from us. Kiddo was pretty upset, so I say "hang on a second, let me try something." Didn't have a grunt call, so I did it on my own. Second time stopped him. Third and fourth got his head on a swivel. Pretty soon after I lost him as he was moving. JT it saying the whole time "I can see him, he's right there. Look over my finger. Right there."

I still can't see him and finally ask what he's doing. "Walking towards us." Picked him up again around 100 yards. He stops broadside at 70. I'd brought a tall stool that gave him a perfect line of sight...at a distance. Getting enough leverage to shoot at a downward angle was a challenge. He missed his first shot, but the buck bolted 5 yards forward and stopped broadside. Took him awhile to find him in the scope and then he was shaking like a leaf. I told him to take a deep breath and then watched for about mid-exhale. Told him then to squeeze when he was ready. Buck dropped like a stone and my gun about knocked him off the stool. He caught himself and halfway back up was saying "THAT IS GOING ON MY WALL!!!!!"

Also, in between the first and second shots - he doesn't really know how to work a bolt-action yet, and shoots lefty on top of that. So I had to work the bolt for him, with the buck staring us down at 65 yards.

VERY Cool. Every deer you kill from here forward will be insignificant.

Congrats again Jeff, on you deer but especially for that wonderful experience with JT. Making those kinds of memories are just priceless. THAT story will be told in deer camps (and anytime hunting comes up) for many many years to come.
3dgrin.gif

Now, you know the first thing I thought of when I saw the light brown hog is that he looked part javelina. Vets out there... can/would feral hogs mate with javelinas? (this assumes that they may be some down in that neighborhood... I know they cant be far from there.)

Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:
Now, you know the first thing I thought of when I saw the light brown hog is that he looked part javelina. Vets out there... can/would feral hogs mate with javelinas? (this assumes that they may be some down in that neighborhood... I know they cant be far from there.)

I can see that. That said, this hog had the standard cutters and sharpeners, rather than the teeth of a javelina. Also, according to 28, javelina (and coyotes) have been eradicated down there since the 40's.

"THAT IS GOING ON MY WALL!!!!!"

Greatness. looks like yall had a great time.

Just realized I never posted the pic of my boy and his boar. Outweighed him by almost 100 lbs exactly.

1202467.jpg

Originally posted by mad4osu:
VERY Cool. Every deer you kill from here forward will be insignificant.

THIS...To this day some of the best memories I have with my old man and brothers are from Deer Camp. You both will remember that and appreciate it more as time goes on. Great story.

My dad was a non-hunter. He hunted as a kid and teen and put a gun in my hand at a young age however as his career became more demanding and he saw that I was enjoying it on my own, he never really took the time to go. Besides, he just bird/small game hunted as their was no such thing as deer in NC Oklahoma in the 50's and 60's.

As I look back, what I wouldn't give to be able have him join me in a deer hut, ground blind or hunting camp right now. When you are a teenager or college kid, you are more worried about hunting with your buddies/friends then asking your dad to come along (even if you know he wouldn't want to carry a gun). If only there were one more hunt...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT