ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla Powerwall

Nope. But sure sound awesome. How much output for how long? Are you going to pair it with solar panels?

Looking at close to 30k for a 3400 sq ft house without solar panels. Propane driven whole house generator for $7500. What am I missing? (honest question) Educate me please.

Reactions: poke2001
I have a Generac whole home propane for mine. But if I went the Tesla I would definitely go Solar as well.

I have a 48 panel/16kW Tesla solar system we installed last fall and I’m semi thinking about a power wall rather than simply send generated power to the utility at a set rate. Also would like to have independence from the grid during outages. However I haven’t run any numbers on whether it would be worthwhile, I think I would need 3 of them for our home.

Reactions: davidallen
I have a Generac whole home propane for mine. But if I went the Tesla I would definitely go Solar as well.
What is the benefit of the Tesla? If I have a buried propane tank with a whole house generator why would I need all that stuff?

I have a 48 panel/16kW Tesla solar system we installed last fall and I’m semi thinking about a power wall rather than simply send generated power to the utility at a set rate. Also would like to have independence from the grid during outages. However I haven’t run any numbers on whether it would be worthwhile, I think I would need 3 of them for our home.
how much is a solar power system like that?

What is the benefit of the Tesla? If I have a buried propane tank with a whole house generator why would I need all that stuff?
I think the appeal would be environmental and then I guess the off the grid thing. You have Solar with a battery you don't need Electric or propane. Solar would keep battery charged and most of your electric needs.

I think the appeal would be environmental and then I guess the off the grid thing. You have Solar with a battery you don't need Electric or propane. Solar would keep battery charged and most of your electric needs.
Ok. I couldn’t really see the benefit with the price. I guess it’s all cool until one of those things blows up like some of those cars have. Think I’d let em work the kinks out before I splurge.

Reactions: CBradSmith
You might want to compare the Tesla safety record to everything else on the road.
Does everything else on the road also produce kick ass batteries you can strap on your abode for that “granola” off the grid lifestyle?

Can those propane generators come with natural gas as the fuel source? I have wanted one of those for a while but didn’t know they where propane. I thought you just ran natural gas line to them.

Can those propane generators come with natural gas as the fuel source? I have wanted one of those for a while but didn’t know they where propane. I thought you just ran natural gas line to them.
Either/or

how much is a solar power system like that?

Full install was around $55,000 but with the federal tax credit combined with local utility discount we put it in for around $30,000 I think. We are generating about 2,000-2,500 kWh per month since winter.

Something that is great about Tesla is the loan option - you can get a system installed for $0 down, pay basically the same rate you’re currently paying your utility, transition to clean energy from fossil fuel, and add value to your home.

This is the game changer for most folks...allowing just about anyone to get solar.

Nope. But sure sound awesome. How much output for how long? Are you going to pair it with solar panels?
Yes, I would have enough solar panels to generate electricity for the day and enough to store to the battery for the night. My solar company is going to install a device to track my usage throughout the day for a month so I don’t waste money on excess panels.

I live in state where power is $.40/kwhr. The system will pay for itself in 2-3 years.

My area does not offer net metering any longer so the battery option is a no brainer for me.

NG is problematic for anything of size as you will need higher volume/pressure service than typically is available from the curb.

Yes, I would have enough solar panels to generate electricity for the day and enough to store to the battery for the night. My solar company is going to install a device to track my usage throughout the day for a month so I don’t waste money on excess panels.

I live in state where power is $.40/kwhr. The system will pay for itself in 2-3 years.

There's the key component that was not computing for me.

My electricity rate is $0.0755/kWh for the first 750 kWh and $0.0872/kWh for 750-1500 kWh.

Solar setups are hard to pencil out for us - they are nearing the end of life by the time they pay for themselves. It's far from a no-brainer.

NG is problematic for anything of size as you will need higher volume/pressure service than typically is available from the curb.
crap guess I will have to really look into this to see if it is possible.

It takes a special kind of individual to correlate advances in clean energy with advances in making weapons that are untraceable and undetectable with a metal detector. Mazel Tov.

It takes a special kind of individual to correlate advances in clean energy with advances in making weapons that are untraceable and undetectable with a metal detector. Mazel Tov.
It takes a special kind of individual to pick and choose which technology they attempt to stop for everyone based on an individual morality.

You realize that if no one has traveled back from the future to destroy the technology’s inception, then how bad a decision can it be.

Maybe they did, many times, and just finally gave up because they realized that there just isn't any stopping the advancement of science/technology. All their efforts were to no avail.

I don’t trust anything from Elon Musk, but conceptually I understand why you say that.

We all owe Musk a debt of gratitude for pushing the technology envelope and dreaming big when corporate giants have about as much balls and foresight as a sack of rocks.

He’s as close to Tony Stark as exists in the world today, and his vision will prove out over time whether it’s Tesla or anyone else that does it.

We all owe Musk a debt of gratitude for pushing the technology envelope and dreaming big when corporate giants have about as much balls and foresight as a sack of rocks.

He’s as close to Tony Stark as exists in the world today, and his vision will prove out over time whether it’s Tesla or anyone else that does it.
That may be true, but he may end up in jail for securities fraud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT