ADVERTISEMENT

Tax Help (Company Stock in form of RSU)

poke2001

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Last year I was given company stock in the form of RSUs paid out 1/3 each year over the next 3. So 1/1 this year I essentially got the first 1/3 distribution so I have nothing on my 2015 taxes I need to worry about.

For 2016 though, I need to make sure I'm covered. The grant was for 360 shares so the payout was 120 shares on 1/1 (actually 1/4) and the price the market opened at. They actually withheld 45 shares for Federal taxes, SS, Medicare and state taxes. Everything I read on this essentially shows I should be good on taxes (if I would have sold immediately), and now I will only be concerned with the gain or loss at the time of sale from the distribution price. Is this correct?

This is all new to me, and I actually had no idea I was going to get this, but was given another 3 year grant this year...so I figured I better understand what my responsibility is before I just blow it on craft beer.

I usually use Tax Cut. Hope this helps :)

Your correct , the shares they withheld/sold on your vesting date cover the taxes on you receiving the shares, and since your holding the remaining you will have a gain /loss to report when you sell.

I see Rsu's done differently by different companies from a tax reporting perspective , you will probably get a 1099-B showing the stock sold for taxes that you'll have to put on sch D even thought it's a zero gain since the income is imputed onto your w2

Reactions: poke2001
Your correct , the shares they withheld/sold on your vesting date cover the taxes on you receiving the shares, and since your holding the remaining you will have a gain /loss to report when you sell.

I see Rsu's done differently by different companies from a tax reporting perspective , you will probably get a 1099-B showing the stock sold for taxes that you'll have to put on sch D even thought it's a zero gain since the income is imputed onto your w2

Cool. That's basically how the letter I received made it sound, I just didn't want to get hit with a huge tax bill..

my taxes have always been simple enough to use basic tax software, but this was new for me.

Do some research on cost basis when it comes to rsu's.

Last edited:
Cool. That's basically how the letter I received made it sound, I just didn't want to get hit with a huge tax bill..

my taxes have always been simple enough to use basic tax software, but this was new for me.

I use TurboTax to do my taxes, and its really easy to figure out cost basis from RSU's.

To be clear, is the cost basis at vesting date or grant date?

Last year I was given company stock in the form of RSUs paid out 1/3 each year over the next 3. So 1/1 this year I essentially got the first 1/3 distribution so I have nothing on my 2015 taxes I need to worry about.

For 2016 though, I need to make sure I'm covered. The grant was for 360 shares so the payout was 120 shares on 1/1 (actually 1/4) and the price the market opened at. They actually withheld 45 shares for Federal taxes, SS, Medicare and state taxes. Everything I read on this essentially shows I should be good on taxes (if I would have sold immediately), and now I will only be concerned with the gain or loss at the time of sale from the distribution price. Is this correct?

This is all new to me, and I actually had no idea I was going to get this, but was given another 3 year grant this year...so I figured I better understand what my responsibility is before I just blow it on craft beer.

We may work at the same company.

Q1: Are your HQ in CO?

Q2: Are you in the Tech Sector?

Not exactly. There are Executive offices in both. I believe the company is effectively run out of Houston. I could be wrong.

They do have their US HQ in Houston...you are correct. I deal with one of the France offices though but don't work for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT