ADVERTISEMENT

T Mobile

• Thread starter anon_ph7vrsh7abnty
  • Start date
Family plan is $100 for four people, with unlimited minutes/text and OK data (can add on, and rollover I think). I think 'family' is loosely interpreted, tho I'm on with the in-laws in Queens.

Or, no contract.

I've been with them 10 or 12 years and almost always get great in-store customer service (can't really speak about remote service).

No real opinion on their marketing strategies.

Cheaper? Yes. Better Coverage? No - not really close unless you are on the coasts and in cities (or maybe on the interstate). Also, since I use my cell for my primary phone it has to work indoors wherever I go, and in some larger/concrete and steel buildings their signal is almost non-existent - their primary frequency simply does not penetrate certain structures well at all. AT&T and Verizon have a strangle-lock on this aspect of service.

Verizon and AT&T are neck and neck, and far ahead for a reason. If your goal is to save a few bucks - ok, but if you need solid coverage across much of the country and want to be able to use the phone in a big building stick with AT&T.

This post was edited on 2/3 7:53 AM by cowboyvol

Originally posted by cowboyvol:
Cheaper? Yes. Better Coverage? No - not really close unless you are one the coasts and in cities (or maybe on the interstate). Also, since I use my cell for my primary phone it has to work indoors wherever I go, and in some larger/concrete and steel buildings their signal is almost non-existent - their primary frequency simply does not penetrate certain structures well at all. AT&T and Verizon have a strangle-lock on this aspect of service.

Verizon and AT&T are neck and neck, and far ahead for a reason. If your goal is to save a few bucks - ok, but if you need solid coverage across much of the country and want to be able to use the phone in a big building stick with AT&T.
True on the coverage. I'm poor so YMMV.

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
So, does it just drop your data if you are out of T-Mobilr tower range?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It's gotten better--but I still hit a a fair amount of 2G when travelling outside of cities. My phone signal is spotty inside my house sometimes, which drives me nuts. I have a phone interview on Thursday so I've sitting in various places around the house and watching if my bars go down.

Originally posted by Anodyne:

So, does it just drop your data if you are out of T-Mobilr tower range?

It's gotten better--but I still hit a a fair amount of 2G when travelling outside of cities. My phone signal is spotty inside my house sometimes, which drives me nuts. I have a phone interview on Thursday so I've sitting in various places around the house and watching if my bars go down.
If you have an Iphone 6 or an Android that supports wifi calling, that will solve your indoor problem. Before TMobile came out with their unlimited data and 20 cents a minute while overseas, wifi calling was a great option to call home from most anywhere in the world for free.

Just so it's clear, will I lose data while driving around streaming or will it just be slow?

It will just slow down until you pick up another 4G signal.

Just so it's clear, will I lose data while driving around streaming or will it just be slow?
Dial up slow (ok maybe not dial up but it will feel like it)

I've recently been in Iceland. Had no problems with T Mobile. Was in Sweden. Had no problems with T Mobile. Just got back from Qatar. Had no problems with T Mobile. Loads of other places. If you travel like this I say definitely go with T Mobile.

Is Sprint still in business? If so, they have to be on fumes at this point.

Originally posted by ThatOneGuy:
I've recently been in Iceland. Had no problems with T Mobile. Was in Sweden. Had no problems with T Mobile. Just got back from Qatar. Had no problems with T Mobile. Loads of other places. If you travel like this I say definitely go with T Mobile.
Agreed... I've had great luck with them in Oman, UAE, Czech Republic, UK, South Africa, and Egypt.

Domestically, If you spend the vast majority of your time in a larger city, then its pretty good... Otherwise, its pretty shotty.

They are the only carrier with a decent international plan. I pay less with unlimited international data/texts than I did for Verizon domestic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT