ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano OUT

Hate to see that for the kid. We've got a race on our hands now.

Now they are down to 8, 7 scorers depending on how there 141 does.

Now they are down to 8, 7 scorers depending on how there 141 does.

141 could be huge for them. I think his first two potential matches are against guys who pinned him last week. That being said he has a ton of talent and can get on a roll.

A cynical person would wonder if Cael waited to the last minute so the brackets couldn't be redrawn.

I have mixed emotions regarding Pic's match in the round of 16. Much easier path to AA if he loses. I've never rooted for a loss but it would likely benefit us and him here.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I have mixed emotions regarding Pic's match in the round of 16. Much easier path to AA if he loses. I've never rooted for a loss but it would likely benefit us and him here.

No doubt. What a weird situation.

There's going to be a new rule when it comes to seeding wrestlers with known injuries, and it will be known as the Cael Rule. And it's going to hurt kids who are truly only dinged up at their conference tournament. Because liars like Cael can't do the right thing.

The original team scoring based upon seeds was psu - 138, osu - 122 with Suriano getting 16 points for 3rd so is now tied at 122.

The original team scoring based upon seeds was psu - 138, osu - 122 with Suriano getting 16 points for 3rd so is now tied at 122.

Technically wouldn't you also give Picc 7th place points now?

Also pulling Hall's redshirt looks even more massive.

Reactions: osuind
That's huge for Pic. Cruz would fall to the three and if Dance blows his load like he has in the past then you have a chance to make a final. I realize still a long shot but much more manageable.

They are not redrawing bracket, whoever had Suriano in first round gets a bye. Picc stays in the 8.

141 could be huge for them. I think his first two potential matches are against guys who pinned him last week. That being said he has a ton of talent and can get on a roll.

By getting on a roll I still think you are looking at R12. I also think they could struggle to score significantly at 197 (so could we).

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I tend to agree on how Ceal handled this that it seems suspicious. If he didn't like the way the brackets came out originally he could of spoke up that Suriano was out and then they would of redrew. If he liked the brackets then do what essentially happened. Basically a free look at the brackets. Especially when it impacts the team that could possibly dethrone PSU. Not hating on PSU as I actually like the program this just seems very odd.

There is no reason not to redraw the brackets, there is a pigtail match. Move the seeds up a spot then redraw without the pigtail and have a balanced bracket instead of a giant hole on both the front and back sides of the bracket

Reactions: osu2082
Bullshit move by Cael...they have the horses without suriano and he knows it.

Bullshit move by Cael...they have the horses without suriano and he knows it.

I don't think they do. Their 141 won't make it far. Hall can be beaten. Their top guys will will do good but it's nationals and anything can happen. I still say it's chicken shit for Cael to pull a move like this.

It's chicken shit what he did . Total D bag move and I'm sure there will be some discussion about new rules that come from this

This probably won't be well received here, but don't hate the decision, hate the rule that allows it. Cael and Nick had every right to wait until his first match started to withdrawal. That's the rule. Cael gave Nick every opportunity to heal, but it didn't work out. Every coach out there would have done the same thing. Every one of them. To me, the problem is with the rule. Kids MFF'ing out of conference have a poor track record at nationals. I'd like to see the NCAA have a 3 day prior rule where a wrestler who MFF out of the conference tourney must somehow prove that they are able to wrestle and make weight. If they cannot, next man up and reseed. Put some structure into this chaos, and put more onus on the team and wrestler to show ability to participate.

This probably won't be well received here, but don't hate the decision, hate the rule that allows it. Cael and Nick had every right to wait until his first match started to withdrawal. That's the rule. Cael gave Nick every opportunity to heal, but it didn't work out. Every coach out there would have done the same thing. Every one of them. To me, the problem is with the rule. Kids MFF'ing out of conference have a poor track record at nationals. I'd like to see the NCAA have a 3 day prior rule where a wrestler who MFF out of the conference tourney must somehow prove that they are able to wrestle and make weight. If they cannot, next man up and reseed. Put some structure into this chaos, and put more onus on the team and wrestler to show ability to participate.

I don't disagree. However if the situation was reversed I'm sure Penn State fans would be every bit as salty as OSU fans.

Wrong, there have been other Wrestlers withdraw that gave plenty of time to the committee to redraw or reseed.

I do agree that it's within the confines of the rule and not illegal. However, it doesn't make it right! But then again, we are talking about Penn State. Most of your fanbase believe that right and wrong apply to everybody else.

Wrong, there have been other Wrestlers withdraw that gave plenty of time to the committee to redraw or reseed.

I do agree that it's within the confines of the rule and not illegal. However, it doesn't make it right! But then again, we are talking about Penn State. Most of your fanbase believe that right and wrong apply to everybody else.
There are examples that go both ways. As for your PSU comment, since you already said it wasn't illegal, there is no right or wrong. It is one of fair play. I think you'd find plenty of PSU fans who believe that if Nick had no more than a remote chance of wrestling, it may have lacked fair play for whomever would have gotten the bid to wrestle at nationals.

There are examples that go both ways. As for your PSU comment, since you already said it wasn't illegal, there is no right or wrong. It is one of fair play. I think you'd find plenty of PSU fans who believe that if Nick had no more than a remote chance of wrestling, it may have lacked fair play for whomever would have gotten the bid to wrestle at nationals.

bad karma

hope ped st sees it coming back at them sooner than later

Once again, you pretentious, self-righteous yanks can't see beyond your own benefits and losses. #1, it keeps a young man from competing at the NCAAs...most likely a dream for many. #2, it makes the bracket inaccurate. Not that big of a deal, but it's bush league by Cael.

As for the school he represents, you guys make me sick...as a whole. There are some fans I like as people and I have a few PSU friends (who actually quit supporting after the child rape circus,) but the fanbase as a whole...repugnant! You are a great example of the trash that everybody else can't stand! Here is how you sound..."hey, screw the kid who almost accomplished his dream in his last year of eligibility, I know he'll never strap it up again, but screw him like a Sandusky 10 yr old since we didn't actually break a rule and it may help us win a title so the OSU kid can't get a better seed!"

Once again, you pretentious, self-righteous yanks can't see beyond your own benefits and losses. #1, it keeps a young man from competing at the NCAAs...most likely a dream for many. #2, it makes the bracket inaccurate. Not that big of a deal, but it's bush league by Cael.

As for the school he represents, you guys make me sick...as a whole. There are some fans I like as people and I have a few PSU friends (who actually quit supporting after the child rape circus,) but the fanbase as a whole...repugnant! You are a great example of the trash that everybody else can't stand! Here is how you sound..."hey, screw the kid who almost accomplished his dream in his last year of eligibility, I know he'll never strap it up again, but screw him like a Sandusky 10 yr old since we didn't actually break a rule and it may help us win a title so the OSU kid can't get a better seed!"
You bring down the quality of this board with trash like this. You should be ashamed of yourself, but likely the thought never crosses your mind. Go back under your rock and hope that you can return a little more sober next time.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Spirit of the law versus letter of the law. Cael knew he wasn't going to wrestle at the NCAAs all along. He was quoted as saying Suriano was definitely going to wrestle in the Big Tens. Guess what...a lie. Then said he was definitely going to be ready for the NCAAs (the reason for MFF'ing out of the Big Ten).

Whatever capital Cael has had as the golden child of the sport, he's used up as a coach. Very unethical. Even if it's within the written letter of the law.

There was ZERO chance Suriano was ever going to wrestle this weekend. None.
Again Cael knew exactly what he was doing. Don't kid yourself. Knew it wouldn't be reseeded that late thus screwing their main competition's seed and possible advancement wise. Quite easy to see

You bring down the quality of this board with trash like this. You should be ashamed of yourself, but likely the thought never crosses your mind. Go back under your rock and hope that you can return a little more sober next time.

Haha, I am clearly not ashamed of myself for calling a spade a spade. The fact that a large majority of you Yankees feel that it is okay to steal a dream from kid that poured his guts into this sport we enjoy as spectators, just to impact a team race is what is trash. Nothing more, nothing less.

It isn't nearly as bad an overwhelming majority that defended and still holds respect for Paterno after news broke that he aided in the rape of children. Im not sure if you fall in that category, and I don't feel that way about all Penn State fans...but with your defense of these actions, I can render a guess.

Also, who is drunk at 10 am on a workday?

1985, i think you are a good poster. And the end of your post is a good idea. This is the part I have an issue with; "Every coach out there would have done the same thing. Every one of them." Not true, or Jacob Smith would have been in the 197 bracket, and Brian Murphy would be in the 157. Apparently from posts on BWI, Suriano's dad told someone that the ankle was broken. He had no reasonable hope of being on the mat than those two.

Cael used up a lot of goodwill with that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT