ADVERTISEMENT

Summer time in The Corral - Music Growing Up

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
So, from the time you were in middle school thru high school, what Record, 8 Track, or Cassette tape would you have listening to? You younger fellas probably CD's or digital files. I graduated HS in 1979. I started working at service station when I was 13 and was fortunate to always have some cash, had a great collection of music and attended every single concert I could that rolled thru OKC. It was the golden era of HiFi, with McIntosh, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Yamaha, Sansui, Kenwood, and other brands fighting it out in the 60's and 70's for HiFi supremacy. There was a time period, a great HiFi system was the best entertainment system you could own. No video games, no big screen TV's, no 120 channels to watch. You wanted your music to be detailed, loud, clear, and to have some bass. If you were in to music, and who was not smoking all that pot and snorting all that coke back then? :) You debated the best groups and the best equipment. Chevy or Ford? Marantz or Pioneer? Best turntable? Thorens or Technics? Best speaker? HiFi magazine subscriptions were in. And some great groups to turn up the volume with. I did not expand my tastes to include country music until I went to OSU.

In no particular order:

Alice Cooper
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Uriah Heep
Yes
Lynrd Skynrd
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Elton John
REO Speedwagon
Nazareth
Heart
Eagles
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Fleetwood Mac
ZZ Top
The Rolling Stones
Van Halen
The Who
Boston
KISS
ELO
Blue Oyster Cult
Cheap Trick
The Police
Bob Seger
Jethro Tull
Rush
Tom Petty
Supertramp - Can still remember to this day this was the cassette playing in my car as I drove to Stillwater with all of my things to move in and start school my frosh year.
Grand Funk Railroad
38 Special
The Police
CCR
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Doobie Brothers
Chicago
Montrose (their album Montrose really good)
Mood Blues

I am sure I missed a few. What was the music of your youth?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News