ADVERTISEMENT

Sudden life changes.....the strength of the humans

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
That is what some of these families are going thru (sudden life change), and unless you have been through it, it really is hard to understand.

Imagine one day everything is fine, and within a second, your life changes forever.

I have had to deal with some of this in my life, my mom was killed by a DUI driver when I was 29. When I was 32 my wife of 2 years was diagnosed with MS, when she was first diagnosed her 2nd exacerbation of the disease was so bad she was bed ridden for a month.

Prior to last week, we had to sweat out PET scans, CT's, MRI's, and a bone marrow biopsy. They thought my wife had some kind of bone marrow cancer, either some type of leukemia or multiple myeloma. They did not call it that, just told us they thought her bone marrow was being reconverted from fatty tissue back to red marrow (when you are young you have mostly red marrow and as you age it converts to fatty tissue), which if you google is very bad stuff, this coming from a Doctor certified in hematology and as an oncologist. Given my wife's history of always receiving bad medical news it was really hard to stay positive but I never let her know how hard it was for me to stay positive.

Happiest day in my life was when we were told she had no cancer. My wife has lost some hearing, eye sight, balance, fatigues easily (all from MS), had a stent put in last year, has had heart failure, asthma, ulcerative colitis, etc...She is 54 and holds down a full time job and she misses less work than 98% of the population. I was a mess earlier this month going thru all this with her, she has been an absolute rock. She was never scared, never has complained the entire time we have been married, and never complained about these tests. It was sad for me because I realized she had truly come to terms with her mortality and her poor health. All of these years of bad health and had steeled her resolve and I realized my wife had learned to live every day like it was her last, she just never told me that, but it is apparent to me now.

People can endure a lot, more than many of us can know and understand. My wife is my hero, her courage is amazing. She is a tiny lady, but she is the toughest person I know.

With everything my family has been thru, with all the reminders in front of me, and the reminders in my past, how many people can really say they live in the moment every day? I can honestly say it is hard for me at times, but I will say my wife's experience earlier this month was a huge reminder to not take any day for granted, or anyone. I have had several reminders in my life, and a kinda halo effect lasts for awhile from these events and then you slip to your routines.

I can tell you I think I have truly learned to live in each moment, the thought of losing my wife of 24 years was something I could not comprehend.

The events of this past week? A lot of good can happen from those deaths, if just a handful of people can truly learn to live fully in each moment and to truly appreciate their blessings, then some good can come for these tragic deaths.

For those whose lives where changed forever in a blink of an eye? I pray they can heal, it is possible, it is possible to move on and lead a meaningful and fulfilling life. After my mom's death I can tell you I was mad at at our Lord for about 5 years for allowing such a gentle and giving person to die such a horrible death, and the worst thing you can do is to live in anger and hate, it is something the victims have to deal with, their anger and hate. I pray they can quickly accept what happened and find forgiveness, hatred and anger will eat at you and is not a good way to live life. Life can be humbling very quickly when you truly understand you are along for the ride to some degree.

I love our OSU community, and I challenge the OSU faithful to somehow find a way to live fully in each day and moment, and to appreciate all of your blessings and those you love, life is so short and precious and one day death and / or tragedy will knock on all of our doors. I hope that is the legacy those who have died from this tragedy can leave us, when you think of them, think about the importance of living each day and each moment to its fullest, our OSU community should know better than anyone every day is truly precious.

I have a wife at home that is a great role model about how to live, and for that I am truly grateful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News