ADVERTISEMENT

Special beer challenge I need your help with.....

CowboyJD

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2002
So my local pub, Skinny Slim's Edmond, is doing something special for me for my 50th birthday.....several things actually, but one I need your help with.

The owner/proprietor has asked me for a list of five beers, bottle or can, that I want to have.....whether they are normally sold in Oklahoma or not. He says he has multiple favors he will try to call in to get them.

I'm not looking for ridiculously expensive beers. I'm looking for regional craft brews that I haven't ever had that he could reasonably get.

So fire away.

Also, he has gotten an agreement from Prairie, Mustang, Chock, and Anthem breweries for an exclusive, one keg only contest in his bar. Whomever empties their keg first will get a permanent tap handle for the next year in the bar. He rolls through different breweries on tap, and the winner will stay for 12 months.

I need a list of five beer choices within the week.

The party will be December 19th. You're all invited.

Go!

The Temptress - Milk Stout from Lakewood Brewing, Garland, TX512 Pecan Porter - Porter from 512 Brewing, Austin, TXAtrial Rubicite - American Wild Ale from Jester King Brewery, Austin, TxBranson Jamboree Tequila Barrel Aged Stout from Prairie Artisan Ales, Tulsa, OK. Oatmeal Stout from Marble Brewery, Albuquerque, NMSaison,from Funkwerks, Fort Collins, CO

This is about the best dream I could imagine having, not involving the female form. Here's my entry for Midwest limited distribution breweries.

1. Scream IIPA, New Glarus (WI): this will be the ultimate challenge for your guy, a true test of his connections, since NG is not distributed outside Wisconsin. Scream is a limited edition (should still be available through December). If you have to settle for one of the standard New Glarus offerings, then go for Black Top black IPA.

2. Gatecrasher English IPA, Temperance (IL): this just won the silver at GABF, so this tiny Evanston brewery is cranking it out in double batches twice a week just to meet demand for their Chicagoland-only distribution. I'm a big fan of this place, which sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of the Chicago brewing boom.

3. Abduction Imperial Stout, Pipeworks (IL): any of the Abduction series--I like the coffee version. From one of the darlings of the new generation of small breweries. The Pipeworks guys seem to know the Prairie guys fairly well.

4. Darkness Imperial Stout, Surly (MN): one can wait in a 6 hour line once a year for 3 Floyd's famous Dark Lord, but I think Darnkess is a better beer. Just released, it might still be around in December but it's a tough get anytime. Surly back-up: Coffee Bender brown ale.

5. Tart Side of the Moon Dark Farmhouse Ale, Brewery Vivant (MI): I'm really looking forward to this release (November). Everything from BV is great.

This post was edited on 10/30 11:57 AM by Anodyne

1) Endeavor (Saint Arnold's - Houston)

2) Mothers lil' helper (Springfield, MO)

3) Rocky Mtn Oyster Stout (Wynkoop - Denver)

4) Pliny the Elder (Russian River)

5) A Little Sumpin' Extra (Lagunitas)

****Last 2 are not regional but you are turning 50****

This post was edited on 10/30 10:39 PM by WCPoke

This post was edited on 10/30 10:40 PM by WCPoke

Russian River Brewing (CA) - Pliny the younger, or Pliny the elder. If you like hops, as the younger is triple hopped and the elder is double hopped with a double malt base.

I would go with:

Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing in Wisconsin

Supplication from Russian River Brewing in California

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Rodenbach Brewery in Roselaire Belgium

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub in Indiana

Utopias by Sam Adams from Boston. 29% ABV (stupid expensive if it can even be found)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head in Delaware

Get some Abyss from Deschutes if you can. Fantastic imperial stout.

Are you an IPA guy? My 100% biased plug: Dankosaurus IPA from Cedar Creek Brewery in Texas. Somewhat less easy to find here is the seasonal Belgian Dubbel that won GABF gold. You may or may not know someone connected to the brewery that could hook you up.

Bump, not for more beer suggestions....but to again invite all of you to the party.

This Friday....6-close....Skinny Slim's Edmond.....beer, friends, cake, and ME!

Yes, I'll be at my own 50th birthday party.

Go ahead and come in out anyway.

What's dress code at this place? I thought I might drop by and meet a few of you after hitting the gym but need to know what kind of clothes to take with me.

This post was edited on 12/18 3:32 PM by PDT816

Completely casual. Jeans and tshirt are good. It's just a bar. Basic, friendly, laid back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT