ADVERTISEMENT

Sooners lose to Lehigh 30-7....

NYWRESTLER94

Redshirt
Sep 23, 2014
Seriously they came out the gate this season looking really good and have just flat out been in a slump since do not look like the same team at all Jeffries specifically looked great coming out of redshirt lost a very close match to top notch Lavion Mayes and has dropped every bout since then what is going on in Norman

I dislike the sooners in general and I like to see the Boys hammer them, but I don't want to see the likes of Leigh do it to them. Maybe it isn't important, but in wrestling I want to see OU and ISU do well - in other sports they can lose every game.

I dislike the sooners in general and I like to see the Boys hammer them, but I don't want to see the likes of Leigh do it to them. Maybe it isn't important, but in wrestling I want to see OU and ISU do well - in other sports they can lose every game.
From what I have seen from OU this year they have only one AA and of course that is Brewer at 133. They have a small chance at 165 with Glass. I always want to see OU and Iowa State do well in wrestling just not well enough to beat us. Wrestling needs more parity and not just the same 4-5 teams each year. Of course , I want one of the same old teams to do well(OK State) but you can replace the Iowa's ,Penn States, Cornells with others.

Reactions: april racer
OU will struggle for the next several years. They messed up by shafting Henson and hiring Cody.

OU will struggle for the next several years. They messed up by shafting Henson and hiring Cody.
I think Sammy had more to do with that than anyone else. "Rumors" were that he had worn out his welcome.

I think it's time for Cody to go. I am a big fan of his, but he hasn't produced like he should have. Oberebo and I talked about this during the Bedlam match...signing the Dixon triplets in hopes of making one or more of them All-American caliber wrestlers will probably comeback and bite him in the butt if he overpaid for them (Scholarship-wise...I'm not implying anything else).

The question is which established coach do we go after? I'd be against going after a hot, young assistant coach who's the flavor of the month. I'd like to see someone who's more battle-tested elsewhere.

Mark Schultz.

Kidding.

I have / had high hopes for Cody. Still hoping some guys will come through. If not

Mark Branch. Maybe he would like to be closer to his roots.

I would like to see OU get NCAA runner up.

A couple of weeks ago we were surprised how well OU was doing. Its a long season and ups and downs happen (OSU did lose to NC ST.).

I think the overall direction of the team and the lack of a bright future is cause enough to make a change. They beat a Michigan team that is overrated and did so by the luck of a medical forfeit. I just don't see him getting these kids any better. Rumor is the morale amongst the wrestlers is very very low! How long do you give a guy?????

I have some OU friends that are always saying they have a very straight program in that the kids can't drink or party at all, year round and OSU is known as the place to go If you want to party and not live a monastic lifestyle. Then they're surprised when we talk a "good" kid like Llewelyn into coming. Is Cody really that much of a hard ass? I wonder if he's just sucked the life out of the college experience. I know we were partying a bit too much a few years ago when we had the run ins with the popo....Bailey, Perry, etc. What's Johns take on the partying.....beer? Weed? Obviously he's anti weed but is he lenient on punishing? These OU guys act like almost all our guys are pot heads and partying all the time and we lose recruits because of that. Funny since we seem to get whomever we want between us and zero u.

I do have close connections to the program and honestly The expectations off the mat are not that different then most d1 wrestling programs. That image is and has been blown out of proportion. Maybe it is a built in excuse as to why they struggle to get the top recruits. That is only my opinion.

Mark Schultz.

Kidding.

I have / had high hopes for Cody. Still hoping some guys will come through. If not

Mark Branch. Maybe he would like to be closer to his roots.

I would like to see OU get NCAA runner up.

The program's very disorganized, and there's no fan base, but I'm not sure anyone else could do much better. The best HS kids want to wear orange / black or go to the Big Ten. OU gets everyone's leftovers and the talent just isn't there. Just take a look at their guys. Almost all of them look undersized. And when we wrestle them all our guys look about two weight classes bigger than the OU counterpart. I guess if I were to change anything, I'd start with a new weight trainer. The OU weight training program appears to be almost non-existent.

Mark Branch would be a good catch, though.

The problem with not getting recruits is simple....Cody is a horrible recruiter. Ok State has the coaches who know how to recruit. Frayer was the last guy who could convince a recruit to come. Look at the results at Midlands....one placer. Again...I'm close to the program and Cody has not done his job! The ship is full of holes and a lot of kids AND coaches will be jumping off prior to it sinking! It's nice to also be close to the Cowboys to have a coach, AD, wrestlers and fans that actually care!!!

The problem with not getting recruits is simple....Cody is a horrible recruiter. Ok State has the coaches who know how to recruit. Frayer was the last guy who could convince a recruit to come. Look at the results at Midlands....one placer. Again...I'm close to the program and Cody has not done his job! The ship is full of holes and a lot of kids AND coaches will be jumping off prior to it sinking! It's nice to also be close to the Cowboys to have a coach, AD, wrestlers and fans that actually care!!!

I agree with you whole heartedly, but remember, the gooners didn't send Millhof, Brewer or Jeffries.... not saying that all three would have won titles or even placed, but it would have been the difference in a 14th place showing and a 3rd or 4th. I personally think the OU program has been down, and will continue to be down.

The problem with not getting recruits is simple....Cody is a horrible recruiter. Ok State has the coaches who know how to recruit. Frayer was the last guy who could convince a recruit to come.

This, unfortunately, is the problem. Frayer doesn't show up in Norman and they never land Rutt and Howe (think Frayer landed Glass, as well). The current staff members are all nice guys, but losing Frayer ended the run. Program's going sideways at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT