ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner Lake

RussOSU87

Redshirt
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2001
I want to head up to OSU in February and watch a basketball game and hopefully a wrestling match with my son. I am hoping when we go we can take an extra day and do some fishing. When I was at school at OSU in the winter I would go to Sooner Lake and there was a place you could park and then walk (quite a distance) and fish across from the discharge. We would catch lots of white bass, almost every cast. That has been over 25 years ago, I was wondering if anyone does that now? I was wondering if it is still allowed, I remember having to cross a couple barb wire fences.

You are remembering the "muddy mile". Yes , it is still there, yes it is still a long walk, and yes, it is generally frigid but can be worth the hassle.

You park on the E side of 77 highway at the gated/fenced parking lot and then walk the path N toward the OG@E powerplant.

Thanks Dally. We had some great fishing trips there in the 80's.

I use to bring an ultra light with about 4 pound test and had a blast. I remember going there once when there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground. When I got there everyone was throwing 1/4 ounce or bigger roadrunners or spoons. I used my 1/16 ounce jig and light pole and caught 8 fish on the first 8 casts. No one else was catching anything, it was a good day :).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT