ADVERTISEMENT

Something non political we can argue about

soonerinlOUisiana

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2004
fvck off, leftists
www.youtube.com
Who do you think was left out that is more deserving to be in this work? Can’t really argue with the men, except maybe Chuck Berry or Little Richard over Michael Hutchence. I think that Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, or Whitney Houston would be more worthy than Amy Winehouse. I’ll give the artist the benefit of the doubt and assume that Tina Turner, Christine McVie, and Olivia Newton-John were all still alive at the time.

I was also thinking Elvis (The King) should be in the center, but then I remember Lennon’s “bigger than Jesus” comment. A pretty cool work nevertheless. I probably wouldn’t hang it in my living room, but it’s definitely man-cave material.

Last-Orders+_1_.jpg

Amy Winehouse - yuck.

Here’s my picks:

Tina Turner (although she didn’t die young)
Buddy Holly
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Marvin Gaye

Amy Winehouse - yuck.

Here’s my picks:

Tina Turner (although she didn’t die young)
Buddy Holly
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Marvin Gaye
I think “gone too soon” is one of the themes, which could be why the older folks didn’t make the cut. BH, SRV, and MG are all great suggestions, BTW. I think the artist may have been trying to get a good cross-section of genres, although some names are just too big to leave out.

Elvis never liked to be called the King, he would say No, no. Jesus Christ is the King. I'm just an entertainer.”
He also once said when called the King of Rock that Fats Domino was the King of Rock N Roll.

I sure as hell don't understand Amy Winehouse being in that group. I would put SRV in over her.
John Lennon's treatment of Julian and his comment about him, born out of a Whiskey Bottle or something like that should eliminate him from the Jesus spot. Never liked him.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Some observations:

Amy Winehouse occupies the position of St. John the Evangelist from the original da Vinci work. If you saw The da Vinci Code, you’ll recall that the story centered around this particular subject actually being Mary Magdalene, so my guess is there was going to be a female there regardless.

Bob Marley occupies the position of Judas Iscariot. Don’t know what to make of that, or any of the others, but the artist had to know that the positioning of all the subjects would be scrutinized by music fans, so I’m sure there’s some method to it.

Morrison is in St. Peter’s position.

Prince, I think, occupies the position of Thomas, who would become known as “Doubting Thomas”. It also appears that Prince is the only one neither drinking nor smoking. Didn’t he forego booze and tobacco while he lived? Seems like I remember reading that.

The others occupy positions of apostles that I consider to be “minor characters” in the gospels, so I’m not going to offer any comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
Not sure why I'm drawing a blank on the one second from the right.

And SRV should absolutely be included.

Not sure why I'm drawing a blank on the one second from the right.

And SRV should absolutely be included.
Michael Hutchence/INXS. The only one that I wasn’t sure about. Had to ask a friend who’s sort of a popular music guru. Probably included to placate the Australians. Certainly not as big of a name as many others mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: kruxter
John Lennon's treatment of Julian and his comment about him, born out of a Whiskey Bottle or something like that should eliminate him from the Jesus spot. Never liked him.
If my dad were alive, he’d probably “recognize” four of them at best:

1. Elvis Presley.
2. The little Jackson 5 kid.
3. That weird purple guy.
4. That commie Beatle prick.

😂😂😂

Who do you think was left out that is more deserving to be in this work?

Jesus and:
  • 1. Bartholomew
  • 2. James, son of Alphaeus
  • 3. Andrew
  • 4. Judas Iscariot
  • 5. Peter
  • 6. John
  • 7. Thomas
  • 8. James the Greater
  • 9. Philip
  • 10. Matthew
  • 11. Jude Thaddeus
  • 12. Simon the Zealot

Weird how people cannot see their denigration of what many consider sacred as, well, denigration of what many consider sacred.

Would be wonderful to see young generations feeling they actually have the agency to create something new and also possibly sacred.

Weird how people cannot see their denigration of what many consider sacred as, well, denigration of what many consider sacred.

Would be wonderful to see young generations feeling they actually have the agency to create something new and also possibly sacred.
I’m pretty militant Catholic, but I don’t see it as a denigration of something sacred. I see it as, at worst, a parody/spinoff of another artist’s work. Though certainly not the same, Dali created a similar work:

dali-last-supper.jpg

I’m pretty militant Catholic, but I don’t see it as a denigration of something sacred. I see it as, at worst, a parody/spinoff of another artist’s work. Though certainly not the same, Dali created a similar work:

dali-last-supper.jpg

Particularly as a "militant Catholic" (I consider myself a devout practicing Catholic) do you think you might be slipping down a Relativist hee, hee, snicker, snicker parody/spinoff slippery slope of irreverence of what most Catholics and many Christians consider as sacred? Is your posting of Dali more Relativist "slipper slope" or somehow promoting the sacredness in how most practicing Catholic's view da Vinci's Last Supper.

Question I have is why not simply use something that's not considered by many as somewhat sacred like a Rolling Stones cartoon or something similar? But hey, peace out brother!

And of course GO POKES!

Particularly as a "militant Catholic" (I consider myself a devout practicing Catholic) do you think you might be slipping down a Relativist hee, hee, snicker, snicker parody/spinoff slippery slope of irreverence of what most Catholics and many Christians consider as sacred? Is your posting of Dali more Relativist "slipper slope" or somehow promoting the sacredness in how most practicing Catholic's view da Vinci's Last Supper.

Question I have is why not simply use something that's not considered by many as somewhat sacred like a Rolling Stones cartoon or something similar? But hey, peace out brother!

And of course GO POKES!
No more denigrating than Godspell, JC Superstar, Life of Brian, or this popular meme that gets shared on Facebook during crawfish season.

824a5de6e48f57348010228fe0d9d9e2.jpg

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT