ADVERTISEMENT

so who are the Oklahoma kids going to Fargo?

Duffield dec. Jet Taylor 8-7 to reach the finals.
Sheets loses to Zander Wick of California 11-4 in the semis. He was trailing only by one but had to shoot and Wick was ready for the double leg and three him feet to back for four.

Sheets loses to Zander Wick of California 11-4 in the semis. He was trailing only by one but had to shoot and Wick was ready for the double leg and three him feet to back for four.
Keegan Moore wins his semi final match at 220 over Piscopo of Ilinois by tf 12-1. He did it with a series of head snaps and go behinds. He is very quick and strong. He will be a very good 197 pounder for us.

Keegan Moore wins his semi final match at 220 over Piscopo of Ilinois by tf 12-1. He did it with a series of head snaps and go behinds. He is very quick and strong. He will be a very good 197 pounder for us.
Dalton Duffield will wrestle Gavin Teasdeale In the 120 pound finals tomorrow and Keegan Moore will wrestle Sam Colbray of Oregon at 220.

Dalton Duffield will wrestle Gavin Teasdeale In the 120 pound finals tomorrow and Keegan Moore will wrestle Sam Colbray of Oregon at 220.
Failed to mention that in the Cadet Free style finals Montana Phillips of Oklahoma at 285 pinned Ronald Tucker of Illinois. Congrats to this Oklahoma National Cadet Free style champion! In the Cadet Free style tournament Illinois finished first and Oklahoma finished 9th.

Jacob butler gutted it out with a minor shoulder Injury all week. He is better than his 5-2 record showed. I think the Oklahoma Team had some bad luck with injuries this week

Teasdale defeated Duffield, but Duffield almost had him stuck.

I see Wier took 4th at 100 pounds.

What is going on with I-State? It seemed like 1/2 the finalists are I-State commits. We need them to up their game for the conference sake since uo doesn't seem to be quickly improving. I-State could make some noise in a couple of years.

not too worried about IsU. Once they get settled in with KJ they'll definitely turn into NCAA qualifiers.
Final results of Junior Freestyle for Oklahoma team include 4 AA's. Riley Weir was 4th at 100; Dalton Duffield was 2nd at 120; Jet Taylor was 6th at 120 and Wyatt Sheets was 5th at 152. Other notable weights were Paxton Rosen was 4-2 at 120; Billy Simpson wsas 3-2 at 126; Jack Karstetter was 4-2 at 126; Brandon Bright was 3-2 at 126;Jacob Butler was 5-2 at 132;Trey Edwards was 3-2 at 138;B rik Flippo was 5-2 at 138 and both of his losses were to Carter Happel of Iowa. Tanner Skidgel was 5-2 at 145; Christian Bahl was 3-2 at 160; Jaryn Curry was 3-2 at 160; Dakota Carnes was 4-2 at 195; Gage Johnson was 4-2 at 285. Oklahoma finished 12th with 19 points. Pennsylvania won the team title with 58 pts with Minnesota 2nd and Illinois third. 18 of the 48 teams entered scored no points and Texas was 30th with 2 points. The outstanding wrestler was Ben Darmstadt of Ohio who will be going to Cornell next year. He had a 10-0 tf in the finals against John Borst with one of his moves called "the Assassin" for two points on the turn.

Last edited:
Grappler6, thanks for posting this. I said he would be a great 197 pounder for us. He sounds like he is going back to 184 but then again he will be a redshirt this year behind Nolan and he may grow. Amazing that he could place 2nd at 220. I liked his demeanor and his realization he will have to work hard in the room at OK State.

Final results of Junior Freestyle for Oklahoma team include 4 AA's. Riley Weir was 4th at 100; Dalton Duffield was 2nd at 120; Jet Taylor was 6th at 120 and Wyatt Sheets was 5th at 152. Other notable weights were Paxton Rosen was 4-2 at 120; Billy Simpson wsas 3-2 at 126; Jack Karstetter was 4-2 at 126; Brandon Bright was 3-2 at 126;Jacob Butler was 5-2 at 132;Trey Edwards was 3-2 at 138;B rik Flippo was 5-2 at 138 and both of his losses were to Carter Happel of Iowa. Tanner Skidgel was 5-2 at 145; Christian Bahl was 3-2 at 160; Jaryn Curry was 3-2 at 160; Dakota Carnes was 4-2 at 195; Gage Johnson was 4-2 at 285. Oklahoma finished 12th with 19 points. Pennsylvania won the team title with 58 pts with Minnesota 2nd and Illinois third. 18 of the 48 teams entered scored no points and Texas was 30th with 2 points. The outstanding wrestler was Ben Darmstadt of Ohio who will be going to Cornell next year. He had a 10-0 tf in the finals against John Borst with one of his moves called "the Assassin" for two points on the turn.
I was disappointed in our recruits results for this tournament and I indicated in December my minor disappointment with our recruiting class. Time will tell if I am wrong about this class. I hope that I am wrong. I believe we need a very good recruiting class this year or some combination of the next few years because our rivals especially Penn. St. and Iowa are developing great success with their recruiting. I know many will think our recruiting class is fine but I don't know if you notice Penn. St. is not doing fine they are doing great and for us to compete we have to do great. I like our team but we still are behind Penn. St. and their recruiting class this year is outstanding and have a recruit coming in nexy year who won Fargo at the so called best weight class. Again I like our team but how do we beat Penn. St. Piccinini, Brock, Heil, Collica, Smith, Rogers, Crutchmer, Boyd, Weigel and HWT really need to develop in the 7 months if we are to get to 35.

Reactions: giddyup
I was pretty impressed with Duffield. Very creative and had my guy pinned IMO. He won Greco and was a hair away from pulling a twofer.

I was surprised that was not called a pin, but Teasdale toughed it out. I really loved what I saw out of Piccinini in Irving. He lost to Gomez, but I think Gomez might have been a little bigger than him. Gomez really knows freestyle and Piccinini almost beat him anyway. I think we will have a substantial improvement at 125 this year. Gomez is for real as well and will be at Iowa State this year so the Big 12 will be tough at 125 this year.

;);)
I was disappointed in our recruits results for this tournament and I indicated in December my minor disappointment with our recruiting class. Time will tell if I am wrong about this class. I hope that I am wrong. I believe we need a very good recruiting class this year or some combination of the next few years because our rivals especially Penn. St. and Iowa are developing great success with their recruiting. I know many will think our recruiting class is fine but I don't know if you notice Penn. St. is not doing fine they are doing great and for us to compete we have to do great. I like our team but we still are behind Penn. St. and their recruiting class this year is outstanding and have a recruit coming in nexy year who won Fargo at the so called best weight class. Again I like our team but how do we beat Penn. St. Piccinini, Brock, Heil, Collica, Smith, Rogers, Crutchmer, Boyd, Weigel and HWT really need to develop in the 7 months if we are to get to 35.
You are wrong about this class. You asked and I answered. #1. Kaden Gfeller was injured in his first match. He is an excellent recruit but will be at least 1 year and possibly more in the room but he is a winner. #2 Wyatt Sheets is an All-American in a style where he does not excel. He will be much better in Folkstyle but again it will be at least a year and more likely two in our room before he wrestles for us. #3 Keegan Moore comes in 2nd at a weight two weights up from where he will wrestle in college. He will be dynamite at 184/197 in the future and after a redshirt year this as a freshman will most likely replace Nolan Boyd when he leaves. I was not disappointed at all.
I know it is not in your nature to be optimistic and I am sometimes overly optimistic. I appreciate your posts and you temper the over-optimism some of us are guilty of from time to time.
As far as our lineup's need to get better I agree however, Pic at 125 will be an improvement over what we had last year and I concur with osumatfan that he wrestled very well in Irving and gave me great up for the future. We will see the return of Kaid Brock at 133 and if he is not hampered by the serious knee injury he had he will be an AA. Dean Heil was undefeated and national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents. Anthony Collica is a returning AA and showed great improvement after suffering from injuries early in the season. He should be totally healthy and I expect him to place higher. Joe Smith was a true freshman All-American and he will get better.
I expect Chandler Rogers to be an AA this year at 165 and if he is not the choice or gets injured I would expect the same from transfer 2x Juco Champion Jacobe Smith. Kyle Crutchmer is back at 177 and should AA again after being injured last year. Nolan Boyd is most probably the most improved wrestler on the team and his 4th place finish last year should improve. Preston Weigel could challenge for most improved and if he works hard in the room on his offense he will be a force to be reckoned with at 197. Austin Schafer will move up to heavyweight and I think he will be much improved at this weight. He will be backed up by another National Juco Champion from NEO. The future is bright however I agree with you that Penn State is the team to beat and all of our wrestlers will have to improve to beat them. One other thing, proud to see you acknowledge that our chief opponent has two N's in their name.;)

Reactions: osu2082
I'm with you Obe. I think coach Smith is setting himself up pretty well. 125 young stud, 133 young stud, 141 beast, 149 veteran stud with another in the wings, 157 young stud, 165 solid young wrestler, 174 veteran stud with something to prove. 184 veteran stud who has improved in leaps and bounds. 197 young talented project. 285 juco nc.
Add in the verbals along with an absolute world beater in Fix and this OSU team looks to be very good for some time. It is unknown whether they can dethrone PSU, but I can't help but think top three is a given and the titles are within reach.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
;);)
You are wrong about this class. You asked and I answered. #1. Kaden Gfeller was injured in his first match. He is an excellent recruit but will be at least 1 year and possibly more in the room but he is a winner. #2 Wyatt Sheets is an All-American in a style where he does not excel. He will be much better in Folkstyle but again it will be at least a year and more likely two in our room before he wrestles for us. #3 Keegan Moore comes in 2nd at a weight two weights up from where he will wrestle in college. He will be dynamite at 184/197 in the future and after a redshirt year this as a freshman will most likely replace Nolan Boyd when he leaves. I was not disappointed at all.
I know it is not in your nature to be optimistic and I am sometimes overly optimistic. I appreciate your posts and you temper the over-optimism some of us are guilty of from time to time.
As far as our lineup's need to get better I agree however, Pic at 125 will be an improvement over what we had last year and I concur with osumatfan that he wrestled very well in Irving and gave me great up for the future. We will see the return of Kaid Brock at 133 and if he is not hampered by the serious knee injury he had he will be an AA. Dean Heil was undefeated and national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents. Anthony Collica is a returning AA and showed great improvement after suffering from injuries early in the season. He should be totally healthy and I expect him to place higher. Joe Smith was a true freshman All-American and he will get better.
I expect Chandler Rogers to be an AA this year at 165 and if he is not the choice or gets injured I would expect the same from transfer 2x Juco Champion Jacobe Smith. Kyle Crutchmer is back at 177 and should AA again after being injured last year. Nolan Boyd is most probably the most improved wrestler on the team and his 4th place finish last year should improve. Preston Weigel could challenge for most improved and if he works hard in the room on his offense he will be a force to be reckoned with at 197. Austin Schafer will move up to heavyweight and I think he will be much improved at this weight. He will be backed up by another National Juco Champion from NEO. The future is bright however I agree with you that Penn State is the team to beat and all of our wrestlers will have to improve to beat them. One other thing, proud to see you acknowledge that our chief opponent has two N's in their name.;)

;);)
Good summary oberebo. One correction - Dean lost I match last season.

Reactions: oberebo
The only problem I see with Obe's comments are the fact that there is a ton of excellent talent coming in at 165 and 174 to make those weights much tougher to get on the podium than last year. Not seeing that at other weights, but the talent we saw in Irving tells me that those two weights will be very tough next year.

Reactions: oberebo
The only problem I see with Obe's comments are the fact that there is a ton of excellent talent coming in at 165 and 174 to make those weights much tougher to get on the podium than last year. Not seeing that at other weights, but the talent we saw in Irving tells me that those two weights will be very tough next year.
You are absolutely correct MatFan and two Penn State wrestlers stand out at those weights in Mark Hall and Vincenzo Joseph. Isaac Jordan will be a senior and I look for him to go up in weight which leaves another Jordan there just as tough and then you include Daniel Lewis and others and both weights look extremely tough. I still think we can AA at those two weights however.

I think OSU will certainly be in the mix for a title. Granted we are not the favorite but could very well qualify all 10. The conference at this point is not totally loaded but is getting tougher. As is in most title contentions, bracket placements for the NCAA is crucial and I do feel we will need a bit of help to take number 35. Of course injuries are always an important fact which no one can foresee. We will need some of our young guys to factor in big especially down low which I think they will. I still like our position for the next few years at capturing a title!

You are absolutely correct MatFan and two Penn State wrestlers stand out at those weights in Mark Hall and Vincenzo Joseph. Isaac Jordan will be a senior and I look for him to go up in weight which leaves another Jordan there just as tough and then you include Daniel Lewis and others and both weights look extremely tough. I still think we can AA at those two weights however.
I was thinking of the Valencia brothers from Arizona State, Logan Massa and a few others that are coming in that were not on my radar before Irving. With freestyle weigh-ins you never know what weight these guys will be wrestling, but my pick of a Crutchmer lock to AA like last year looks tougher and tougher as it goes.

Last edited:
(quote/rant=oberebo)
As far as our lineup's need to get better I agree however, Pic at 125 will be an improvement over what we had last year and I concur with osumatfan that he wrestled very well in Irving and gave me great up for the future and will be an All-American, but more likely a National Champion. We will see the return of Kaid Brock at 133 and if he is not hampered by the serious knee injury he had he will be an AA, but even if his knee is still hampered he will win a national championship. Dean Heil was undefeated, because I don't count matches he wrestled in that he lost, and a national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents, especially Joey Ward, who I hope he takes Kaid Brock's hurt knee and beats him about the head with it as he wins yet another national championship. Anthony Collica is a returning AA and showed great improvement after suffering from injuries early in the season. He should be totally healthy and I expect him to place higher, which all but guarantees him a national championship in my eyes. Joe Smith was a true freshman All-American and he will get better. And by better, I mean he will be a national champion come hell or high water!
I expect Chandler Rogers to be an AA this year at 165 and if he is not the choice or gets injured I would expect the same from transfer 2x Juco Champion Jacobe Smith, although I doubt either one is talented enough to win a national championship. Ha! Had you there for a moment. Of COURSE either one is talented enough to win a national championship, and John Smith should petition the NCAA to just let them wrestle in the finals. If the NCAA has any ethics whatsoever, they'll agree to let this happen so I'll just pencil in one of them as a national champion, and the other one as a runner-up. Kyle Crutchmer is back at 177 and should AA again after being injured last year. And if you can AA after being injured the year before, that pretty much sums up that he's a lock for a national championship this year. Most likely Nolan Boyd is most probably the most improved wrestler on the most team and his 4th place finish most last year should mostly improve. I just like using the word most, as in Nolan will collect the most wins at this weight, which will make him a...wait for it...you guessed it, a national champion!!! Preston Weigel could challenge for most improved and if he works hard in the room on his offense he will be a force to be reckoned with at 197. Hell, even if he doesn't work hard in the room but shows up for the NCAA tournament he's my dark horse national champion. And by dark horse, I mean shoe-in! Austin Schafer will move up to heavyweight and I think he will be much improved at this weight. He will be backed up by another National Juco Champion from NEO. You're probably going to call me a homer on this pick alone, but I can't help myself....National Champion! I'm the Oprah Winfrey of OSU wrestling! YOU get a National Championship! YOU get a National Championship! YOU get a National Championship! We ALL get a National hampionshiiiiiiiiip!!!! (/quote)

Good call, Larry.

10 National Championships, and a runner-up. You've outdone yourself.

Although Tognetti will come along and call you Harley Jr.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
(quote/rant=oberebo)
As far as our lineup's need to get better I agree however, Pic at 125 will be an improvement over what we had last year and I concur with osumatfan that he wrestled very well in Irving and gave me great up for the future and will be an All-American, but more likely a National Champion. We will see the return of Kaid Brock at 133 and if he is not hampered by the serious knee injury he had he will be an AA, but even if his knee is still hampered he will win a national championship. Dean Heil was undefeated, because I don't count matches he wrestled in that he lost, and a national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents, especially Joey Ward, who I hope he takes Kaid Brock's hurt knee and beats him about the head with it as he wins yet another national championship. Anthony Collica is a returning AA and showed great improvement after suffering from injuries early in the season. He should be totally healthy and I expect him to place higher, which all but guarantees him a national championship in my eyes. Joe Smith was a true freshman All-American and he will get better. And by better, I mean he will be a national champion come hell or high water!
I expect Chandler Rogers to be an AA this year at 165 and if he is not the choice or gets injured I would expect the same from transfer 2x Juco Champion Jacobe Smith, although I doubt either one is talented enough to win a national championship. Ha! Had you there for a moment. Of COURSE either one is talented enough to win a national championship, and John Smith should petition the NCAA to just let them wrestle in the finals. If the NCAA has any ethics whatsoever, they'll agree to let this happen so I'll just pencil in one of them as a national champion, and the other one as a runner-up. Kyle Crutchmer is back at 177 and should AA again after being injured last year. And if you can AA after being injured the year before, that pretty much sums up that he's a lock for a national championship this year. Most likely Nolan Boyd is most probably the most improved wrestler on the most team and his 4th place finish most last year should mostly improve. I just like using the word most, as in Nolan will collect the most wins at this weight, which will make him a...wait for it...you guessed it, a national champion!!! Preston Weigel could challenge for most improved and if he works hard in the room on his offense he will be a force to be reckoned with at 197. Hell, even if he doesn't work hard in the room but shows up for the NCAA tournament he's my dark horse national champion. And by dark horse, I mean shoe-in! Austin Schafer will move up to heavyweight and I think he will be much improved at this weight. He will be backed up by another National Juco Champion from NEO. You're probably going to call me a homer on this pick alone, but I can't help myself....National Champion! I'm the Oprah Winfrey of OSU wrestling! YOU get a National Championship! YOU get a National Championship! YOU get a National Championship! We ALL get a National hampionshiiiiiiiiip!!!! (/quote)

Good call, Larry.

Defy you Swooner interloper to show me a quote from what you call my rant where I predicted even one national champion. It is not there. Your interpretation of what I said is sadly lacking any basis in fact.

Defy you Swooner interloper to show me a quote from what you call my rant where I predicted even one national champion. It is not there. Your interpretation of what I said is sadly lacking any basis in fact.
I may have paraphrased some of the info, some of which I inferred after hearing you rant about OSU wrestling for going on appx 49 years, but are you categorically denying that you predicted Dean Heil is going to win another national championship? Because your write up of him is at a minimum implied that you predict him repeating.

"Dean Heil was undefeated and national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents."

If I mistook you, I apologize. I'll even go so far as to call Mr Heil himself and let him know oberebo doesn't believe he'll win another national championship. In fact, if I have besludged your name (yes, I made up that word on the spot), I will call each and every one of those you listed and let them know that oberebo does not in fact believe they will be winning a national championship this year.

I'll be waiting for your direction in what to do in this matter, Oprah.

(quote/rant=oberebo)

Good call, Larry.

Quite impressed with your break down at each weight and why we will have 11 NC. I think you skipped a weight at 184 but I'm sure we are manned just as good at that weight as we are at 177 (your so much like your daddy). Do you think with only 11 NC that we will win the Team Title or does OU have that already wrapped up? I'm going against your homer perdictions and be more like Harley and say 9 NC's. The other 3 will finish runner ups (197, heavy and whoever loses between Smith and Rogers in the finals at Nationals). I'm really a weak at heart kind of guy when people say bad thinks about me on wrestling boards, so with that being said I"ll change my mind and we will have 12 NC, two coming from a tie at 165!

I may have paraphrased some of the info, some of which I inferred after hearing you rant about OSU wrestling for going on appx 49 years, but are you categorically denying that you predicted Dean Heil is going to win another national championship? Because your write up of him is at a minimum implied that you predict him repeating.

"Dean Heil was undefeated and national champion so my hope for him is that he wrestle complete matches and increase the difference in points between he and his opponents."

If I mistook you, I apologize. I'll even go so far as to call Mr Heil himself and let him know oberebo doesn't believe he'll win another national championship. In fact, if I have besludged your name (yes, I made up that word on the spot), I will call each and every one of those you listed and let them know that oberebo does not in fact believe they will be winning a national championship this year.

You don't have to call them, they already know about our two sourpusses, Haley and Oberebo. I had to stop going to the home duals because they saw me hanging out with your dad and my life was threatened. I feel your pain about growing up with a dad like him.

Quite impressed with your break down at each weight and why we will have 11 NC. I think you skipped a weight at 184 but I'm sure we are manned just as good at that weight as we are at 177 (your so much like your daddy). Do you think with only 11 NC that we will win the Team Title or does OU have that already wrapped up? I'm going against your homer perdictions and be more like Harley and say 9 NC's. The other 3 will finish runner ups (197, heavy and whoever loses between Smith and Rogers in the finals at Nationals). I'm really a weak at heart kind of guy when people say bad thinks about me on wrestling boards, so with that being said I"ll change my mind and we will have 12 NC, two coming from a tie at 165!
You do realize that was oberebo's rant/predictions (more or less), not mine. I just interpreted his true feelings, kind of like reading between the lines (more or less), a byproduct of listening to his lunacy for 49 years (more or less).

Again, I did not say Heil would be a National champion (not that I do not think he can be). I did not say in my "rant" that anyone on the team would be a national champion(not that I do not believe or hope that they can be). I predicted last year that Alex Dierenger would win his third straight title. This was not going out on a limb and was a very safe prediction. What I will predict is that we will have several wrestlers that will place high and several of them have the ability to win it all and that includes Dean Heil. I also agree with Harley that we have a tough road ahead of us to defeat Penn State next year. We have no chance of doing that if we do not improve as they are going to be tougher than last year. BTW, Let us hear from you your predictions about OU wrestlers for next year. Can you predict more than one AA (Milhof) and keep a straight face?
Remember the nursery stories that I or your mom used to read to you when you were little? There were several stories about people who lived near or under bridges-I forget what they were called- Oh wait, I think I am beginning to remember. Their name started with a T I think and could it have ended in an L or possibly two L's". I am sure you remember the name as you embody them. Love you John Ober!
As for the other almost stranger who posted- where have you been? I hear from others that you have been stirring up trouble on all the other boards-I do not go to other boards, nor do I feel the need to do so. Apparently, you are being nominated as "Wrestling Poster of the Year" on these other boards.

Last edited:
If the moon, sun, and stars all lined up just perfect OU at best could have 3 AAs. I would say 1-2. However, they should start their climb back to glory once they remove Cody this year! Sometimes I wonder if he is deliberately trying to kill the program....at least that would make more sense!

I mentioned Nolan Boyd. Is he not OSU's 184 pounder? BTW, 177 hasn't been a weight since forever.
You did say 177 Nolan and your Pops said the same about 177 weight, so I just went with it since you two are the corner stones of 34 and counting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT