ADVERTISEMENT

SNL40

AlphPistolPete

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 20, 2002
Surprised there has not been a topic on this. I thought it was 90% great and 10% crap. Basically if they would have take out the Californians skit and shown Fish Dicks the door it would have been 99% great. Thoughts? I was rolling on the floor for most of it.

Agree with you on The Californians. I have never got the humor of that. Similar to Garth and Kat -- don't think I have ever laughed at those skits, but they must be popular with some crowds because they ran them multiple times.

Other than those and the odd Eddie Murphy tribute I thought it was very good. Jeopardy was solid.

Chevy chase on the red carpet was kind of sad. Shaking and speaking as if intoxicated on something.

Originally posted by HighStickHarry:
Chevy chase on the red carpet was kind of sad. Shaking and speaking as if intoxicated on something.
If you knew practically everyone in the audience kind of hated you, you'd probably be a bit jittery.

There may not be a more disliked cast member.

Hader, Wiig and Armisen always crack me up in the Californians, it's everyone else that seems to really drag that skit down. They love using it for guest stars and it always bombs - maybe as bad as ever on Sunday night. If they just kept it to those three and didn't have a second segment it would play much better.

tumblr_mi13gdnqld1r1z3c1o1_400.gif

Yeah, the Californians is the sketch that the SNL people seem to love but they just drag it on too long every time.

Overall, I thought it was great. Wayne's World was great and I also liked the Breaking Up digital short.

Also, I know it is an unpopular opinion to ever praise SNL but I think it has been sneakily pretty solid this year.

I agree that it was 90% great and 10% crap.

Fallon and Timberlake's intro was great. Jeopardy killed it. As a skit, I always liked The Californians, but this one went too long and adding the "buh-bye" flight attendants at the end of the skit was just dumb and awkward. All the video clips were great and the Sandler/Samberg video about laughing during the skit had me rolling. The other celebs doing their favorite characters was good, except for Emma Stone's Roseanne Roseannadana, which was pitiful. After the great tribute by Chris Rock for Eddie Murphy, I can't believe Murphy didn't something more meaningful or comedic already set up and ready to go. He failed, very much like his last 5 or 6 films. I also liked the audition tapes, and Jim Carrey doing Post-Nuclear Elvis was hilarious!

Finally, the music guests were horrible. Sorry, but Paul McCartney is starting to sound like an old man. Why the hell invite Miley Cyrus to do a Paul Simon song and Kanye, who was ridiculous with the singing from the floor "art." The guy is becoming a full-blown douche bag before our very eyes. Paul Simon closing with "Still Crazy" and his recognition of the SNL band was a nice touch and he sounded pretty good, but his voice is also starting to show his age as well.

I thought it was about the same, 90% great and the rest crap. Of course that is what SNL is, you wade thru a bunch of junk for that one moment that everyone can't get enough of.

And it showed what an institution it is. As Wayne & Garth said SNL has been declared dead every other year and yet it is still going 40 years later. Just seeing all the folks that rolled out for that thing was amazing. Plus the ratings were ridiculous for something non-sports related.

That being said, my very slight brush with SNL is getting rejected three times as a freelancer for Weekend Update. That's as close as I'll ever get to 30 Rock.

Originally posted by osufiji:
Hader, Wiig and Armisen always crack me up in the Californians, it's everyone else that seems to really drag that skit down. They love using it for guest stars and it always bombs - maybe as bad as ever on Sunday night. If they just kept it to those three and didn't have a second segment it would play much better.

ec
Yep, starts off amazing with Hader, Wiig, and Armisen, then the guest stars that can't pull if off come in and ruin it. Overall, I still love the skit.

I watched the whole thing and definitely enjoyed it for the most part. I enjoyed the intro, Jeopardy, and the short about breaking the most. I've always hated the Californians and the Armisen/Wiig "singing" thing, so yeah, I skipped those. I didn't like Kanye's pretentious douchebaggery, and I frankly thought it was pretty insulting they would let Miley Cyrus sing a Paul Simon song given how much he's meant to that show. I didn't really understand why Aykroyd did the Bass-o-matic thing that was pretty much exactly the same as the old one, and I would have loved to have seen more of Fey/Poehler/Curtin doing Update jokes and less of the cameos there. But yeah, I thought it was pretty fun.

Paul Simon got his song and other appearances.

I actually think Cyrus did a good job covering "Fifty Ways".

Yeah, I'm about the furthest thing you could get from a Cyrus fan but I actually didn't think it was that bad.

The red carpet was great. Jim Carrey cracking Brian Williams jokes and making Matt Lauer super uncomfortable was the best part IMO. Aykroyd wearing a crystal head vodka beanie was pretty ridiculous. Cool to see Dave Chappelle. He has basically disappeared for years. Alec Baldwin hitting on Sarah Palin and making his young pregnant girlfriend uncomfortable was good too. I wish Farley was still around to make these appearances.

Norm Macdonald told an interesting story on Twitter last night about the week leading up to the show. Apparently they wanted Eddie Murphy to play Bill Cosby in the Jeopardy sketch, but he didn't want to do it because he didn't want to kick the man when he was down. Interesting decision by Murphy and an interesting story by Macdonald about the writing of the show.

Very self indulgent but overall thought it was good. Music was great with the exception of whatever the hell that was with Kanye. Call me old and sentimental but I loved both Pauls even if their voices are gone. Simon closing the show with still Crazy after all this years was perfect and I liked the McCartney tribute to Linda bit with all the family picture from the Ram years. You probably have to be at least 60 to have gotten or cared about that. Even Miley was good.

Loved the Wayne's World and Jeopardy sketches. Thought the California's was soso. It was an example of the main problem of the night. Trying to jam too many people into the show.

Thought the Chris Rock tribute to Eddie was great and didn't have a problem with Eddie just coming out and being very understated. Really respect him for taking the high road with Cosby. Cosby spent the last thirty years ripping on him and Richard Pryor and Eddie had the ultimate chance to get the last shot in. He recognize the moment was bigger then that and rape isn't really funny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT