ADVERTISEMENT

Skinning knifes?

One that is really, really sharp. That may seem flippant, but it's really true. I don't care what it is, so long as it's razor sharp!

I have one of the Winchester "Wal-Mart special editions" with a rosewood handle that you could buy for $10 or so 6-7 years ago that has been really good. For some reason, it takes an edge really well.

Gerber blade with a zipper on it and a big belly, not much point. It does fairly well at holding an edge. But Jeff is right, different blade styles for differnt tastes, but sharpness is a must. I think far more people get hurt with a dull knife than a sharp one.
This post was edited on 12/6 6:53 PM by TexasCowPoke

In my opinion sheep skinners are hard to beat.

I've got a Forschner that is awesome and a guide buddy of mine swears by Green River.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:
The link is for a nice example of a custom sheep skinner. Getting a Forshner or Green river are both quality knives at great prices!
But I need a knife sheath and some I looked at were like for a kitchen and no sheath.
Oh, that is a nice one. Bark River?

I like that a lot. Way nicer than mine, which is completely utilitarian.

Hard to judge what you mean by skinning, but most professionals (ie someone who hunts for a living) I've seen use replaceable blades when preparing hides. Think Sharpie blades with a belly.

Kershaw also makes a "skinner" knife that is small, easily wielded, and works very well for skinning.

I guess I have to say here that skinning for meat (meaning that I don't workk so much about a cape) is one thing and I like a shorter blade with a big belly and not a sharp point so much, but when you are caping a trophy, around the head, eyes, etc. then I like a differnt type of knife as it is precision work. I think our conversation is about general skinning and not the fine detail work.

Get yourself a piranta by Havalon.

They use replaceable surgical blades. I have 3 of them and have bought half a dozen or more as gifts.

It will change you. Seriously.

I use the filet knife in the kitchen at least weekly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT