ADVERTISEMENT

Session 2

Man fantastic win and match by Weigel! Way to end the day!

Looks like that bumps us up to 2nd place, tied with Ohio State with 24 points. PSU has 27.5. Ohio State only has 6 left in the tourney, 5 on champ side and one in consis.

it's funny, Weigel looses his first match, wins his second with a tech fall and has score as many points as Heil, Collica, Smith and Boyd.........great job Weigel.

My biggest disappointment today(besides Klimara) was the lack of bonus by our guys. We just squeaked by in many matches while psu was putting guys on their backs. I thought we had a chance to get 4-5 pins and several more majors going into today but it will get us beat in the end.

We really had tough draws! The bad thing is, this tourney is going to be won in the quarters tomorrow. We need to put a combination together.

1. Smith and Rogers

Or

2. Walk 5 others in the semis with bonus.

Obviously, #2 isn't happening and another combination could get it done...but the momentum by Penn State has to be haulted and I don't see many others standing in the way besides 57&74. We desperately needed points out of everybody, but mainly Eddie (tough draw) and we are down to 8 and facing 2 hammers tomorrow. Don't be the nail...be the hammer!

Also boyd should have had a major and gave up late take down. All in all, outstanding effort in quarters. Smith, boyd, and Rogers can let it fly as there is no pressure on them with their matchups. I think collica gets it done against Mayes.

I like Boyd...he is sharp and Wrestles for the bonus, but just came up short twice.

I think Boyd makes the finals - the guy is wresting great and with a ton of confidence.
He does it tomorrow - I believe it

174 #2 and #4 seed 0-4 no team points.
Seeds 2,3,4,5,6, and 8 don't advance to quarters yet we face the #1 seed.
The other 6 guys are 7, 11, 12 and three guys unseeded including Reed and Weatherspoon.
The draw matters.

Here's some OU results. Currently we're in 9th place. It meets or exceeds all expectations I've had for this team.

125 - #5 seed Ryan Millhof is in the quarterfinals tomorrow morning against #4 seed Gilmore from Iowa. Would be a tough win, but if he does he's guaranteed All-American status.

133 - #4 seed Cody Brewer is in the quarterfinals tomorrow morning as well. He should be highly favored to advance to the semifinals, where he should face off against Nashon.

149 - True freshman Davion Jefferies lost to #3 seed Lavion Mayes of Missouri, 3-2. He's already won two matches in the consolation bracket, and is looking good.

165 - #15 seed Clark Glass won his first match, then lost to undefeated #2 seed Isaac Jordan 9-1. He'll be in the consolation round tomorrow, I believe.

174 - Unseeded Matt Reed upsets #3 seed Blaise Butler of Missouri, then won his second match to end up in the quarterfinals tomorrow morning.

285 - Unseeded Ross Larson beat his first opponent, then lost to #5 seed and last year's NCAA finalist Coon (I believe). He's in the same boat as Clark Glass.

What if??? If Klimara picked up 2 wins today instead of the opposite, how psyched would we be right now?

We know that psu are going to get plenty of points but our best chance to win 35 depended upon bonus points from us. We didn't get them today and we are going to need some special things to happen on Moving Day to keep us in contention.

BTW, you guys need to root for unseeded Matt Reed of OU at 174. He's facing Ohio State's 11 seed Miller in the quarterfinals tomorrow. We're no threat to you guys, but tOSU is.

Plus, I root for all Oklahoma State guys. It's the least you could do to return the favor. :)

Hated to see Klimara go out so early. Any word on what happened? Sick? Injured?

Still, all in all you guys are still in there. This is the craziest tournament as far as upsets and returning AA's going 0-2. Anything can happen. Heil, Collica, Dieringer, and Marsden are virtual locks into the semifinals, and Jo Jo and Boyd are wrestling well. And if Chandler could get the upset tomorrow....

What scares me about Rogers is Nickal is non stop and Chandler looked gassed by the end of the second. I hope he holds up. Same thing for Weigel. The good things. Rogers can put ANYONE on their back, numerous times. And Weigel can ride anyone and get points from it. I really think they need to shine where they are strong and we should be alright this morning. Build up a lead on Nickal and hold on, cause he is gonna wrestle hard.

Heil will get vengeance for the earlier loss to Ward, Collica will be fresh and wear Mayes out. Joe will fight his butt off but I think he's not 100% and therefore will need some luck. Boyd has the mind game on Dean and will beat him. And Marsden will win 3-2.

Another pin for Dieringer...

Last edited:
I do think Joe has enough savy and grit to make this thing a battle and give himself a shot but man I really think had he not gotten injured he would best Nolf today.

He was improving every match. Saying that Coach Smith is one of the best when preparing for a specific opponent which gives some added hope for Collica, Smith and Rogers.

Reactions: chasepollard
I do think Joe has enough savy and grit to make this thing a battle and give himself a shot but man I really think had he not gotten injured he would best Nolf today.

He was improving every match. Saying that Coach Smith is one of the best when preparing for a specific opponent which gives some added hope for Collica, Smith and Rogers.

I've been saying that...and he still might

Conway losses to Brewer and Dijulius is knocked out with his loss.

Jordan of Oh St. upset by a crazy TD and back points at the very end of the match.

Collica!
original

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT