ADVERTISEMENT

Session 1 Results

Joe has a long path to AA, and quite frankly, I don't think he has the gas tank to pull it off. Hoping I'm wrong. Great job by Geer to rise to the occasion. We've done a poor job scouting our opponents so far. Jacobe should have went neutral. That match screamed bonus points.

I did a quick Bonus point check: Penn State is a bonus pt. machine
Team Tot BP #BPM
Penn State 19.0 7
Ohio State 12.5 5
Minnesota 11.5 5
Oklahoma State 11.5 5
Missouri 10.0 4
Iowa 8.0 3
Northern Iowa 7.0 3
Oregon State 7.0 3
Arizona State 6.0 3
Michigan 6.0 3
Rutgers 6.0 3​

Joe has a long path to AA, and quite frankly, I don't think he has the gas tank to pull it off. Hoping I'm wrong. Great job by Geer to rise to the occasion. We've done a poor job scouting our opponents so far. Jacobe should have went neutral. That match screamed bonus points.

When the brackets were realeased the chances of Joe AA'ing were very slim. Just a brutal path.

When you see how close he is with #1 guy but just doesn't have the tank you wish he could of gone 165 all year.

When the brackets were realeased the chances of Joe AA'ing were very slim. Just a brutal path.

When you see how close he is with #1 guy but just doesn't have the tank you wish he could of gone 165 all year.

If only chandler or joe could've magically made 157 lol. But it's water under the bridge now but in all seriousness joe put together a good showing. "The Bull" has a tremendous gas tank, which what makes him special.

Reactions: osu2082

You sound like somehow it wasn't his choice to come in overweight and out of shape. If he'd come in anywhere near the weight, he would've been fine. No need to place responsibility anywhere other than where it belongs...

getting rode the second period isn’t close

You sound like somehow it wasn't his choice to come in overweight and out of shape. If he'd come in anywhere near the weight, he would've been fine. No need to place responsibility anywhere other than where it belongs...

And if Preston doesn’t get injured, Joe is at 165 a lot earlier in the season, as has been stated on this board a handful of times. It’s just bad luck and bad timing. It’s nice that there are still fans out there that haven’t moved on from it though.

Reactions: mugwamp2
The poke choke is alive and well lol
Not a good round for us. Jacobi got beat 8 to 4 ( bad match), Geer got beat easily by Iowa St.. Weigel and White won decisions. We have 4 wrestlers in the quarters Very poor. We will need to be outstanding in the consolation round and win all of our matches in the quarters. Coach Smith's weight changes looks terrible at this point. Smith, Smith and Geer have all lost a match today. Joe Smith probably wrestled the best of the 3 today and hopefully wins tonight in the consolation. We still have a chance for 2nd but we will need to start wrestling a lot better. This inconsistency in performance is costly to us each year. Today we were very inconsistent ( some wrestlers wrestling good but too many are wrestling poorly).

He could of and would of been at 165 for the majority of the season had Preston not gotten injured.

I'm sure you have first hand knowledge of his summer activities.

Reactions: mugwamp2
getting rode the second period isn’t close

Gotta be able to get out no question but it is being discussed and reported on as a very close and tough match for the 1 seed by those who cover the sport. Crappy thing for us is close doesn't mean much...

He could of and would of been at 165 for the majority of the season had Preston not gotten injured.

I'm sure you have first hand knowledge of his summer activities.
Dude - I get being a homer, I'm as excited as anybody for a thread about how we could potentially beat PSU, but get real. It sure doesn't look like he can be a 165.

Dude - I get being a homer, I'm as excited as anybody for a thread about how we could potentially beat PSU, but get real. It sure doesn't look like he can be a 165.

Sure it's possible but that was the plan all summer and fall. Him getting to wreslte at 174 for most of the season wasn't good for a guy who has some issues with weight control.

Sure it's possible but that was the plan all summer and fall. Him getting to wreslte at 174 for most of the season wasn't good for a guy who has some issues with weight control.
Appreciate the reasonable feedback and agree, if someone has trouble cutting, regardless of the amount, its not a great idea to have them make a key cut when it matters most.

Appreciate the reasonable feedback and agree, if someone has trouble cutting, regardless of the amount, its not a great idea to have them make a key cut when it matters most.

I don't want to ignore what has been a frustrating and disappointing NCAA's for us but it's a team that dealt with a considerable amount of adversity and you are seeing the downside of it all across the lineup.

I feel really bad for Jacobe as the late season weight change has seemed to derail what was a fantastic season. Wish he would have just been able to stay at 174 all season.

Reactions: Janderson123
I don't want to ignore what has been a frustrating and disappointing NCAA's for us but it's a team that dealt with a considerable amount of adversity and you are seeing the downside of it all across the lineup.

I feel really bad for Jacobe as the late season weight change has seemed to derail what was a fantastic season. Wish he would have just been able to stay at 174 all season.
Hopefully we move away from the last minute changes and wrestle to win at NCAAs next year.

Nobody hates Joe (I don't think), would love it if he took third at this point, but its probably worth being realistic about why we're cheering coming in top 5. That's Cornell's job.

Not buying it. Why bring up Joe's off season training yet again? Did you (& others) think it wasn't clear the first time? Too many too quick with the I told you so's.

Not buying it. Why bring up Joe's off season training yet again? Did you (& others) think it wasn't clear the first time? Too many too quick with the I told you so's.
Calm down. Original post said he wished Joe could've gone 165 all year. That was physically impossible - hopefully that's clearer.

Alright - liven up. Whatever you want. Point is it’s a weight based sport and regardless of how much we like someone - 157 doesn’t wrestle 125.

Hopefully we move away from the last minute changes and wrestle to win at NCAAs next year.

Hopefully we can stay healthy. Crazy to realize we were without 3 AA's a good majority of the season due to injuries this year. Prestons injury also caused a major shuffle of the lineup which is coming back to bite us in the ass.

Nobody was beating PSU this year but I think we were the runaway second place team if healthy. We need to fund the RTC and fund the new facility ASAP and build off the extremely positive momentum we have seen this year (excluding today!)

Alright - liven up. Whatever you want. Point is it’s a weight based sport and regardless of how much we like someone - 157 doesn’t wrestle 125.

Brilliant. And you're wrong about the original point. It wasn't that Joe could have gone 165 all year. It was that he could have been at 165 by the Scuffle. That didn't happen because of Preston's injury.

Brilliant. And you're wrong about the original point. It wasn't that Joe could have gone 165 all year. It was that he could have been at 165 by the Scuffle. That didn't happen because of Preston's injury.
Here’s the quote ‘ you wish he could of gone 165 all year’. Maybe I read it wrong and your commentary was implied. Just reading it as written. No idea on when Joe could’ve made weight - seems like he would’ve had a better chance this weekend if he’d been given more time to acclimate to the weight.

Here’s the quote ‘ you wish he could of gone 165 all year’. Maybe I read it wrong and your commentary was implied. Just reading it as written. No idea on when Joe could’ve made weight - seems like he would’ve had a better chance this weekend if he’d been given more time to acclimate to the weight.

Joe certified the first week of November. According to Track wrestling he made 174 then (so he was between 165.1 & 174). Maybe you weren't reading the board yet at that time, but it was discussed in great detail. Then the questions were - would he drop to 165 & if so when? Also, would Chandler then go 174 or 184?

The lineup was really a challenge because of the injuries to Preston & Chandler. What the staff tried and ultimately did makes sense to me, even if it didn't work out.

Joe wasn’t getting down to 165 early no matter what. Or maybe I should say get there and hold it and be worth a damn. He barely made it as is. If he had the discipline and desire of several others on the team he would win a natty. Instead he chose to party and eat twinkies and not work out much for a loooong time. All the injuries did was give him a cover. Should have just wrestled 184 whenever he lost the 20+ pounds to get there and stayed.

Joe certified the first week of November. According to Track wrestling he made 174 then (so he was between 165.1 & 174). Maybe you weren't reading the board yet at that time, but it was discussed in great detail. Then the questions were - would he drop to 165 & if so when? Also, would Chandler then go 174 or 184?

The lineup was really a challenge because of the injuries to Preston & Chandler. What the staff tried and ultimately did makes sense to me, even if it didn't work out.
Sure - watched it and I’m sure he made 174 in November. This year has probably been rough - one big long cut and I feel badly for him on it. My point was simply that it wasn’t bad luck or bizarre planning.

Sure - watched it and I’m sure he made 174 in November. This year has probably been rough - one big long cut and I feel badly for him on it. My point was simply that it wasn’t bad luck or bizarre planning.

I agree. Some lessons to be learned for sure. Hopefully we finish strong this year & then make those adjustments for next year.

Reactions: Janderson123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT