ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Questions

OHkie

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2018
I'm pretty new here (been reading for about a year, first post the other day) so this may have been discussed in years past, but is there an advantage scholarship wise to having in state kids for in state tuition? Is that why there was an influx of move ins to the Stillwater area during Joe's jr and sr. year? If so will we see the second wave of that with little Smith moving up the ranks towards SHS? Also, if kids like Joe and Kaid have parents that work for the school are they on scholarship or do they get a tuition waiver?

EDIT: just found this...http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/os...cle_3b01c15c-0aa4-5a03-a6b1-006c1f38c087.html

Soooo can parents be hired by the university?

I'm pretty new here (been reading for about a year, first post the other day) so this may have been discussed in years past, but is there an advantage scholarship wise to having in state kids for in state tuition? Is that why there was an influx of move ins to the Stillwater area during Joe's jr and sr. year? If so will we see the second wave of that with little Smith moving up the ranks towards SHS? Also, if kids like Joe and Kaid have parents that work for the school are they on scholarship or do they get a tuition waiver?

EDIT: just found this...http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/os...cle_3b01c15c-0aa4-5a03-a6b1-006c1f38c087.html

Soooo can parents be hired by the university?
It clearly says they have to be employees for 2 years, so that pretty much eliminates any recruiting monkey business.

So, I think there are two separate questions to answer here.

1. Is there an advantage to our scholarship allotment / recruiting targets that are in-state because in-state tuition is significantly less than out-of-state tuition?
A: Yes and no. Scholarships are not exactly dollar based. If a person is receiving 100% tuition scholarship, it is adjusted to whatever that person's cost is per credit hour. This may be outdated, but I recall full tuition being 17 credit hours, even if you took 12. So the difference was either paid out to you at the amount per credit hour, or it was divided up for another wrestler's partial scholarship. That being said, it is advantageous to recruit a kid that is in-state because 95% of student-athletes qualify for some government aid. Pell Grant, other grants, scholarships, etc. When their Pell grant is $5000 a year, and in-state tuition is $2500 for a semester, you basically can offer room/board, books, and meal plan, and have a full scholarship without having to give out a total scholarship from your 9.9. This obviously wouldn't be the case if you were an out-of-state recruit and your semester tuition costs are $9,000.

2. Are we hiring parents as an inducement to move to Stillwater and send their kids to OSU?
A: Absolutely not. Extremely illegal, unethical, and not how the program would run. Looking back at the Rosholts for example, the family relocated so they could be closer to Jake. When you see these families relocating, usually it's because one has either verballed, committed, or have an older sibling already there and envision the younger ones joining too and the family wants to be closer together. I don't think it matters whether John has a kid wrestling at SHS. I think it matters if we have a family send their oldest wrestler to OSU and the family decides they want to be closer.

So, I think there are two separate questions to answer here.

1. Is there an advantage to our scholarship allotment / recruiting targets that are in-state because in-state tuition is significantly less than out-of-state tuition?
A: Yes and no. Scholarships are not exactly dollar based. If a person is receiving 100% tuition scholarship, it is adjusted to whatever that person's cost is per credit hour. This may be outdated, but I recall full tuition being 17 credit hours, even if you took 12. So the difference was either paid out to you at the amount per credit hour, or it was divided up for another wrestler's partial scholarship. That being said, it is advantageous to recruit a kid that is in-state because 95% of student-athletes qualify for some government aid. Pell Grant, other grants, scholarships, etc. When their Pell grant is $5000 a year, and in-state tuition is $2500 for a semester, you basically can offer room/board, books, and meal plan, and have a full scholarship without having to give out a total scholarship from your 9.9. This obviously wouldn't be the case if you were an out-of-state recruit and your semester tuition costs are $9,000.

2. Are we hiring parents as an inducement to move to Stillwater and send their kids to OSU?
A: Absolutely not. Extremely illegal, unethical, and not how the program would run. Looking back at the Rosholts for example, the family relocated so they could be closer to Jake. When you see these families relocating, usually it's because one has either verballed, committed, or have an older sibling already there and envision the younger ones joining too and the family wants to be closer together. I don't think it matters whether John has a kid wrestling at SHS. I think it matters if we have a family send their oldest wrestler to OSU and the family decides they want to be closer.

I say this with all due respect but re: 2, one of your top recruits dads was hired for a position I find it hard to believe he was the most qualified candidate for.

I don’t think any school is unique in that regard.

Obviously I was kidding about the parents but that does make Joe and Kaid walk on’s freeing up money for kids that need it.

But when kids move from Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arizona, and Louisiana to Stillwater it seems like a strategic move either on the part of the parents to be noticed or the coaching staff to save money. I do realize the Rogers, Deiringer connections for the moves. I’m not knocking it or promoting it, just a genuine question. Trying to figure out if “9.9” had a monetary attachment.

It seems (to me anyway) like the board has picked up some new posters that are legit, some that are posting using a 2nd username/handle (yup), and some that are just trolls. Also known as the good, the bad, and the ugly. :):(:eek:

Could be wrong, but I bet I'm not. :cool:

OSU like all schools gets our federal cost to attend amount times the number of scholarships allowed for their scholarship limit/budget. So yes, it can help spread dollars out farther if more kids are from Oklahoma as that federal number has out of state tuition figured into it.

Reactions: OHkie
Thanks for answering my question cbond. Not a troll, I attended OSU in the early 2000’s but some of the nuances of the sport collegietly still escape me, trying to gain a deeper understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT