ADVERTISEMENT

Rut

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
A Facebook friend just posted a pic of a big buck (he said 170, but that might be generous) chasing a doe right outside of owasso. Smaller buck trailing her too. This is looking like one of those rare years when rifle and the rut collide head-on!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Starting to really heat up in Southern Ok as well. Going to be a lot of bucks shot opening weekend..
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Another guy replied and said they were hauling a deer out of the woods recently (bow deer, I assume) and a buck walked right out in front of them and worked a scrape in full view. Wow.

Bucks are chasing hard here in sw ok. cousin pulled in a place to fill a feeder 12:30 and a doe ran by him being chased by two small bucks.

The does are busted up. The report from where I'm hunting: I saw 4 does, one was hot, the others weren't. 3 of 9 bucks (the dominant ones) where by themselves chasing does. The other bucks were in pairs smelling for hot does. The big buck my friend missed was with two does, not chasing them though. It should kick into high gear soon.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Not a whole lot of obvious rutting that we saw west of Alva. Didn't see a tremendous number of deer, so that could explain it...but among the ones we did see, nothing real obvious.

7 of us hunted across major and Dewey county. Bucks still bachelored up and those that were bear a doe weren't interested to a point of chase. You could tell that it was getting closer but no way Tito's full steam out w.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I always think of this week being the best of the year. usually the week before Thanksgiving into thanksgiving week.

You guys are probably seeing more deer/broader range than I am only one the one ranch lease (Latimer Co.) and Cooke Co. in Texas (borders the red river). I am still seeing a few does together but not big groups (3 is the most) and did see two bucks together, but they were on the same scent trail. The big buck yesterday was working the doe hard and he had her separated from her group of does at that point.

Hope you guys see them early this week, or whenever you can go.

Had a buck and doe run by me at 11:30 on sunday while filling a feeder. Paid zero attention to me. rut definatly going here.

ODofW has said that SE Oklahoma's rut was winding down while the N and W was way behind.

Our ranch is on the Cimmaron River in Woods County and our bucks are cruising hard. I am getting the same bucks on cameras 1.5 miles apart.

We experienced lots of young bucks over the weekend chasing very hard, old bucks still pretty nocturnal.

A lot of does still have fawns with them which indicates to us that they are not in heat yet.

I think middle of this week and next weekend all hell will break loose in Woods County, and I'll be right in the thick of it for 4 days!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT