ADVERTISEMENT

RIP - Joe Cocker

I would note that he is NOT in the R&RHOF, and yet ABBA is.

If that doesn't establish what kind of mickey mouse, joke of an organization it is, perhaps nothing could.

I was in college when that album came out...great stuff. Also, Joe's set at Woodstock was unbelievable. Side note: Leon Russell was the producer/arranger of the Mad Dogs and Englishmen album/tour. Leon is owed much of the credit for its success.

"According to the liner notes, Cocker needed to put together a band quickly for a U.S. tour that his management had organized. Russell recruited the musicians, many from his prior dealings with Denny Cordell was part of the backing vocalists." (from Wikipedia)
This post was edited on 12/22 5:30 PM by pokemagain

Originally posted by pokemagain:
I was in college when that album came out...great stuff. Also, Joe's set at Woodstock was unbelievable. Side note: Leon Russell was the producer/arranger of the Mad Dogs and Englishmen album/tour. Leon is owed much of the credit for its success.

"According to the liner notes, Cocker needed to put together a band quickly for a U.S. tour that his management had organized. Russell recruited the musicians, many from his prior dealings with Denny Cordell was part of the backing vocalists." (from Wikipedia)

This post was edited on 12/22 5:30 PM by pokemagain

It don't get much better than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk

I've always enjoyed watching the portions of the movie that are on Youtube, watching Leon play the guitar is worth it alone.

I just learned that Leon wrote the music for the song Groupie (Superstar) which Rita Coolidge sang on the Mad Dog's tour and album. (He co-wrote it with Bonnie Bramlett of Delanie and Bonnie fame.) That song has been covered by dozens of female artists over the years from Bette Midler, Karen Carpenter, Chrissie Hind and by a few males, Luther Vandross. But for the Mad Dog tour they needed a song for Rita and they settled on Superstar, which became a hit before Bonnie's version even got recorded and released.

We saw him at the civic center in 96 or 97. Our neighbor was a physician on exchange from the UK and had some hookup that got us great tickets. We were 3rd row, just left of center stage, he basically stood right in front of us.

He was a fun and quirky guy to watch that close. He repetitively touched the tips of his fingers and thumb together ... 1,2,3,4 and just seemed lost in every song. It's easily one of the best concert experience I've ever had. Sounded great and played a long time.

Sad to hear his passing ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT